Why would Nikon ever have callerd the 80-200mm f2.8 ED AF a Macro Zoom?

liljuddakalilknyttphotogra

<p>OK I have yet again done a bad deal.... My fault as usual, but I want to know...<br>

I like zooms - everyone know this.<br>

So I happened to locate a 80-200mm f2.8 ED AF Macro Zoom on eBay.<br>

Well - closest focus is 3m or 10ft.... It doesn't make for much of a Macro.<br>

My fault - but why would they call it a Macro Zoom. I even have the box for it & yes - it's labled Macro Zoom.<br>

I should have known something was off when I saw Bjorn Rorslett put it amongst the regular zooms...<br>

Any thoughts on Nikon's logic in this?<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p>Which exact version do you have? There's push-pull non-D, push-pull D, two-touch D and AF-S.</p>

<p>As far as I can tell from reference materials I have, all the AF 80-200 f/2.8 lenses focus to about 5 feet in the orange "macro" range of the focus ring. Even the 80-200 f/4.5-5.6D that Ron mentions focuses to ~5 feet.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well - closest focus is 3m or 10ft.... It doesn't make for much of a Macro.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Somethings not right here. All versions of the AF 80~200/2.8 focus to 1.5m (1.8m in the normal range, to 1.5m in the "extended" orange macro range).</p>

<p>There is a LIMIT/FULL switch on both the current "two ring" version and the push/pull D version that will limit focus to the infinity-3m range if it is set to the LIMIT position.</p>

<p>But you are right, it's not much of a "macro". Even at 1.5m it's approximately 1:6.</p>

<p>OK - I must have misunderstood the manual. I thought I was supposed to put it at<br>

3m 10ft - M<br>

OK - just tested it against the 70-200VR. It is an increase in magnification for sure. But the 70-200VR is a lot sharper. Granted this was hand held.<br>

Michael - do you own this lens? If you do. How do you find the sharpness?<br>

<p>OK Rene'<br>

how do I get it to do a Macro? Just tested it against the 70-200VR on a tripod. The settings Michael gave me gives me a smaller version than that of the 70-200VR.<br>

OK set it back to<br>

3m 10ft - M<br>

and then I get the magnification.<br>

Why did you sell it. Because it wasn't what you wanted or?<br>

<p>I own the current two ring AF-D version. I haven't really used it enough to make critical judgments about sharpness, but it is known to be a bit soft at 200mm and f/2.8.</p>

<p><em>3m 10ft - M</em> restricts you to the 3m and below range only. <em>FULL</em> should give you the entire range from infinity to "macro". I used to own the AF 300/4, which has a similar focus range limit ring. As I recall, it was a little confusing at first on how to set the ring for various limit ranges.</p>

<p>Unless you want to use it below 3m, for normal use it's probably best to set the ring to either <em>Infinity- 3m 10ft</em> or <em>Infinity - 5m 15ft</em> to improve autofocus response time. Later versions have improved autofocus performance.</p>

<p>FWIW, the box (and official nomenclature) of the <a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/zoom/zoom80-200mmf_28d/index.htm">current AF 80~200/2.8D</a> make no mention of "MACRO", although it does have the same close focus capability (extended orange zone) as earlier versions (1:5.9).</p>

<p>Lil.... Uhmmm! I forgot how it worked BUT as I recall you DON't get any magnification. To me it used to look the same BUT it lets you focus within closer distance. That is all. Again, it is the same as the 35-70 f/2.8. I don't see any magnification either. Same as you I wonder why they call it macro. Long ago I asked about it here in P/N. let me see if I can find the thread!</p>

<p>Nikon's nomenclature is confusing - macro doesn't mean macro and micro means macro - sometimes. My 70-180/4.5-5.6 is called a Micro Nikkor - considering that the closest focus distance is about 1 ft (or 5" from the front element) - that even is a bit of a misnomer - it barely qualifies as macro (1:1) these days - its limit is about 1:1.33 at 180mm. But it is for certain more macro than any of the 70/80 - 200 lenses.</p>

<p>No really! I bought it coz my son was playing basketball but after he finished Jr. H/S he didn't play anymore and i didn't use it anymore. I already had my 180 f/2.8 for tele and I like it better. then my friend wanted my 80-200 and he paid what i bought it for. So I let it go. To be honest, I never thought of it as a great lens. It was ok but it was to big, too heavy, AF too slow and the 80-200 is not my range. I rather use primes 105 and 180.</p>

<p>The 70-180 wasn't a big seller when it was available new - now the price used exceeds what the new price once was. The lens is plenty sharp indeed - the problem with a lot of macro shots is that the working distance is fairly small for any given focal length (at 180mm it is about 1/2 what a normal 180 macro would give you) - one reason why I recently purchased the Sigma 150/2.8 Macro lens. I have the 5T and 6T - they both work very well with the 70-180 - and are equally hard to find now. Don't expect fast AF from that lens though. As to the 200/4 M(i)acro - always wanted the lens, and when I saw one in the store, I tried it - AF is painfully slow - you can make and drink an espresso in the time that lens takes to move from infinity to the closest focus distance - about the same speed as the 70-180 though - and a bit easier to manual focus. Pretty steep pricing too.</p>

<p>Too emphasize the point - the 70-180 will NOT give you greater working distance than the Kiron 105 you already have. The 150 Sigma does - and I didn't want to spend the extra cash on getting the Sigma 180.</p>

<p>Lil Judd, I don't think you did wrong. It just happens that if you wanted a macro, you didn't get it. I have the exact same lens, an 80-200 AF push-pull, first version, and I'm happy with it. I have used it in a number of ventures (especially concerts, when I managed to get really close to the performers) and thanks to the wide aperture I managed to get fairly nice photographs. Sure, it won't do for butterflies... but then, do you need that? I've checked your Zenfolio and you will be able to put this lens to a good use. </p>

<p>Keep up the good work!</p>

<p>Lil, I'm in London and managed to get one from a shop that was liquidising a collection of unused Nikon lenses that some guy had collected over many years. Got lucky, basically. They do come up on the 'Bay sometimes, though and I'd imagine B&H or Adarama may well have a used one.</p>