Why use a F3 over a FM2n or Fm3a

Steve Beyer

I understnd the 100% viewfinder and the longer life of the shutter. I believe

that the F3 will meter until the exposure is right and not shut off after 30

seconds. Where would you use one over the other. I am trying to get me head

around this and I am afraid it seems to be a small head. :0

Steve

Steve,

I use both F3hp and FM2n, and understand the question well, I went through the same

thoughts.(do not have experience with FM3A)

Here my two main points but am sure others will add more.

1.One really important feature of the F3 is the shutter wind on, you can wind on in

multiple short strokes instead of having to crank the leaver right round.May seem small

thing but for me is a major handling advantage of the F3.

2.Aperture priority mode is convenient and fast on the F3, great for quick shooting.

In favour HOWEVER of the FM2n is size and flash capability.

For me if I travel I normally take the FM2n (I do hiking, trekking etc.) for everything else I

naturally reach for the F3.

I am sure that others have many more points but those are the ones for me.

cheers

andy

Without doubt, the clincher is the F3's "fat spot" 80/20 metering pattern that's not thrown off by bright backgrounds--a common problem with the usual 60/40 pattern.This, apart from its inherent toughness, is probably what endeared it to so many press guys in the 80s. It sure wasn't its flash capabilities!

Steve,

I own an F3HP and FM3a. Based on my experience with both cameras, here are some points to take into account:

1. As you'll probably know, the F3 has interchangeable viewfinders. This may be something that could help you with specific subjects, like macro or reproduction work on a copy stand.

2. The F3 has a choice of 23 interchangeable focus screens, the FM3a probably has 3 or 4 (would need to check my camera manual for this). Some of the F3's focus screens are intended for very specific subjects and/or lenses.

3. The FM3a works without batteries at all shutter speeds. Both the F3 and FM3a have a bulb setting for long exposures, the F3 also adds a T setting.

4. The F3 has mirror lock-up. The FM3a has a way around this, it will lock the mirror upwards when you use the selftimer. For longer sessions of macro work, the F3 has a definite advantage here.

5. TTL flash on the FM3a and flash sync speed of 1/250th second. The F3 has a very limited 1/80th second flash sync speed and there is no flash hot shoe on top of the viewfinder, due to the interchangeability of those finders. I seldom use flash, so this is not an important issue for me, but it is something to think about.

6. The F3's maximum shutter speed is 1/2000th second, the FM3a's max. speed is 1/4000th second. Not a big difference, unless you plan to use fast lenses in bright daylight, where the extra shutter stop of the FM3a may come in handy.

7. Size and weight. The F3 is bigger and heavier than the FM3a, so for travel and day-to-day shooting, I much prefer the FM3a. On the other hand, the F3's weight provides a better balance with heavier lenses. If you own fast prime lenses like a 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.2, 85mm f/1.4 or a long tele, I'd rather go for the F3.

8. The F3's viewfinder is brighter than the FM3a. In low light conditions or long sessions of macro work on a tripod, I tend to use the F3.

9. This is of course a subjective statement, but the F3 feels nicer in use. Part of this is due to the feel of the film advance lever, it's very smooth and precise.

All in all, they are both great cameras and both have their strong points. Make you choice based on the lenses you own and on the subjects you normally photograph.

Maybe the following links may be of interest to you. They provide all the information contained in the instruction manuals, but add a lot of useful tips based on actual use.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/f3manual/index.htm

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm3a/

The F3 is small, hardly larger than a Leica (but a lot noisier), and has the smoothest winder I've ever used (better than Leica). It is build like a tank and has easily interchangeable screens (I use a plain screen with a grid). The whole thing about an pro body is build-quality, not gimmicks. That's why it cost $1300 at the end, compared to the $300 consumer models.

F3 is a little heavier but better built. Not very flash friendly but that's not a big deal for me. The 80/20 meter seldom messes up an exposure. I have a couple of Fs, an FM, F3 and F4. When I make the move to digital the F3 is probably the only film body I will keep.

I have an FM2n and an FM3 and more often find myself reaching for the former. It might just be a comfort thing for me because I've owned the FM2n longer. Or it might be that I find the FM3 slightly more complicated to use.

Aperture priority, which FM2s don't have, is nice. So is the F3s metering pattern. But the metering pattern can also be confusing-confused if you don't have your subject dead center.

For me, the FM2 is one of the best cameras ever made -- kind of like a K1000 with more lenses and accessory possibilities. But I'll never sell the F3 either.

I own the F3 and sold my FM and two FM2/FM2N bodies; never handled a FM3A. For flash, the sync speed of the F3 is useless, plus you need the special adapter. The 100% viewfinder of the F3 has never been a big deal for me; the interchangeable screens are but the ones I use are also available for the FM2. I like the HP viewfinder of the F3 (I wear glasses) because I had a hard time seeing all of the finder in the FM2. I like the automatic exposure of the F3 over the manual exposure of the FM2. Over time I got annoyed by the noise of the FM2; was never an issue with the F3. The 80/20 metering of the F3 takes a little getting used too and requires more a more watchful eye than the 60/40 of the FM2. I cannot really answer your question as I don't know what you shoot and the F3 is a different animal from the FM2/FM2N; to me the aperture priority automatic was decisive but you would have that with the FM3A as well. If you plan on using a motor-drive, I'd opt for the F3/MD-4 over the FM/MD-12 combo anytime not necessarily because of the higher speed but a better balance.

Motor drives? Flash compatibility? I think we are talking about an F100. The motor drive is built in and the flash capability is surpassed only by the D2/F6 cameras. All of the AIS lenses will mount and meter, and you get AF as a bonus when you wake up in the 21st Century.

Don't complain that the F100 needs batteries in the same paragraph as motor drives and flash units. Besides, you can shoot 30 rolls of film from a set of Lithium AAs, or hundreds of rolls from a set of NiMH rechargeables (if you recharge them).

Used F100s are a glut on the market, and priced accordingly. Few were actually used by professionals, so the condition is generally very good. The camera itself will probably outlast the availability of affordable processing (and perhaps film).

I have both the F3 and FM2n bodies. Before trashing the flash capabilities of the F3, take a minute and think of when the camera was designed and what other "professional" cameras of the day could do. 1/80th sec was pretty much the norm for pro 35mm in 1980, and not too many cameras offered TTL flash.

Some good reasons to choose an F3: Interchangable finders (I use the DE-2, DW-3, and DA-2), MD-4 motor drive (the best Nikon ever made for a pro camera), MF-18 databack (imprints between the frames), MK-1 motor drive speed controller (choose your frame rate), 23 different focus screens, use non-AI as well as AI lenses, smoothest manual film advance of any camera (should you decide not to use the motor)...

That's a good start.

I've also owned both of them. One buys an F camera mostly because of the rugged and durable construction. Obviously, they will make the same images with the same lenses. The F3 has interchangeable screens and finders, fast motor drive etc. but it is the ruggedness that really matters. The FM2, of course, can operate without a battery which the F3 cannot do except at a single shutter speed. As I sold off my broad collection of Nikons when I moved to digital, the FM2N was the second to last one to go.

I've owned and used both the FM2n and F3HP, and since I wear glasses I prefer the F3HP over the FM2n. Plus back in 1997 when I bought my FM2n I couldn't afford an F3 body as they were still more than $1000 even used! I always wanted an F3 but could never afford one. Then thanks to digital, prices for good clean used F3 bodies came way down. In 2002 an Ex+ body would run $795 and then in 2006 they were running $295! The F3 is a member of the top Nikon Professional bodies, and built as solid as a rock. I grew up with the Nikon F and the F3 is a modern version of it. I hope to keep my F3HP and still shoot film from time to time.

Dave

• 11 years later...
Zombie thread indeed, but in the light of other recent threads, it might be worthwhile to point out that, as far as I recall, the F3 is unique in being able to meter a shift lens while shifted, because of the way the meter reads through pinholes in the mirror. Not that compensating is so hard once you're used to it, but if you happen to have an F3 and a shift lens, it's a pretty convenient set.
  • Like 1

@Russ-Suzanne What is it with dredging up seemingly every thread on this site about the FM2, FE2, and the like?

If you wanted to come to the Nikon forum and start a new discussion about these cameras, I think it would be welcome(I'd certainly participate in it, as I am a moderately heavy user of all-the FM2n in particular-and just agree yesterday to buy another). Otherwise, posting to threads that haven't been touched in 10 years where the person who started them is no longer even active on the site doesn't accomplish much.

• Like 1

I bought my son a new FM2 in the late 80's as a graduation present. After a few years, the meter stopped working, and eventually the mechanical parts started to break down. The used F3HP I bought in 1999 is still ticking. So is the Leica M2 I bought in 1964. The Leica replaced a Nikkorex, which literally fell apart, first the flash sync terminal, then the wind lever. Since then I have always valued build quality over any features of convenience. That goes for lenses too. Edited by Sandy Vongries