Why the reflections?

christina_santavicca

<p>Are you using a UV or other protective filter on the lens? Inexpensive ones can sometimes be misaligned in their metal mounts and reflect the reflection off of the front of the lens back into the lens, if that makes sense. In other words, the front element of the lens bounces some light back, then it hits the inner surface of the filter, and this is then bounced back into the lens.</p>

<p>Yes, because if you look at the front of your lens, scenes reflected in it are upside down, shrunk due to the convexity of the lens surface, and tinted bluish or greenish or purplish, just like your ghost images. The filter only has to be very slightly misaligned in its metal ring to shift the secondary reflection off to the side like its doing.</p>

<p>A quality filter with good multi-coating (like those from B+W) will help to minimize this - quite a lot, actually. I frequently shoot into bright light sources with filters mounted, and have only ever had this problem (to this degree) when using cheap, uncoated filters.</p>

<p>If they are screwing in properly, with no resistance as you turn the threads, it just may be that they are either misaligned in their mounts or are not of equal thickness throughout the glass part. By "misaligned in their mounts," I mean that the glass, as assembled in the threaded ring, is not exactly perpendicular to the lens axis (an imaginary line going dead-straight through the center of the lens) when it is screwed in. Such filters should be replaced. Off-brands are more known for this problem, while the best brands, such as B+W among many other top brands I could mention, rarely if ever show it. Of course, top brands cost a lot more than cheap ones.<br>

But be warned - even a perfect filter can reflect a strong light source's image, bouncing off of the front element, back into the lens when that light source is off to the side in a contrasty scene with a dark background. I've had it happen in night shots with the moon, and in those situations, just take the filter off. </p>

<p>--->The correct way to use a UV filter is to take it off the lens and throw it away. </p>

<p>I have many thousands of dollars of Nikon lenses. None have a UV filter on them for exactly the reason you illustrated. Protect the lens with the lens cap.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I second the answer of Francisco.<br>

When we used film, there was hardly any reflection from the surface of the medium.<br>

Now with shiny sensors, the projected image is reflected and returned into the glass.<br>

That is why some lenses and filters now have special coatings: to kill reflections in the system.</p>