Why own an old C-3? 10 reasons

1. It shouldn't cost more than $10 at auction.

2. Can be used as a wheel chock while changing a tire on a slope.

3. No concealed weapon permit needed if worn externally.

4. Easy intentional double-exposures (even easier unintentional ones).

5. You will learn to collimate a lens set wrong in its mount.

6. You will learn to adjust a rangefinder.

7. You will buy an electronic shutter speed tester (because the

numbers on the speed dial are way off).

8. You will emulate the great FSA photographers (Walker Evans, Ben

Shahn, Dorothea Lange, M.B.White) who used uncoated lenses to

photograph America during the Great Depression. (I have personally

gotten as far as depression in this endeavor.)

9. The uncoated Cintar has that famous glow that people in that other

PN format so envy. (All I have to do is lay my Argus negatives on the

light table and the birds in the trees start to sing....)

10. When all works well, you will feel satisfaction at having mastered

the use of a primitive tool.

For me, the Argus works best for old subjects. Here are some recent

examples, on Fujicolor 100:<div>00C9Io-23433584.jpg.7a2048ee5dc4b047743c6544aad76127.jpg</div>

And they're eccentric looking enough to work well for taking photos of eccentric subjects, even in available light. Like this motorcycle for example. If it looks a little odd, it's not distortion from the camera lens, just that the motorcycle is made entirely out of aluminum pull-top, pop-tabs.

The C3 I used for this is about the same vintage as your's - 10 shutter speeds, Old-style aperture values, chrome cocking lever, uncoated lens. Not hard to come up with 10 reasons to own one. Now if I could come up with 1 reason to own ten. OK, maybe fifteen, no wait I think there's a few more around here somewhere...<div>00C9Jz-23435484.jpg.334bb2c357b3ab2a61a8426779a25ce0.jpg</div>

That one's easy when they ask if it still works.

"No, it doesn't. But my digital camera doesn't work either since the batteries died, and this one's much nicer to bop people who get in my way over the head with."

And using a C3 to photograph their expression as they edge away from someone who's going through the motions of taking photos with an old, weird looking camera that's supposed to not even work is, as they say, priceless.

One of the main reasons I come to this board is the excellent sense of humor most of you guys have.Nothing serious happens here.There's enough seriousness in life. Maybe collecting broken down old cameras is such a silly thing to do that it effects our outlook on life in general. I try to laugh at life. It's too painful otherwise. Excellent photos too, Dennis.

Dennis, reason eleven, Kodachrome. It was the perfect match for my late 40's C3 which has a coated Cintar. The shutter speeds seemed to be close enough. The C3 was a "made in the USA" rangefinder that performed well for me until I replaced it in the 70's with a new FTBn.<div>00C9Wz-23443184.jpg.40261139daf52cc8895a74353e517644.jpg</div>

At first I thought you meant a Mamiya C3 twin lens reflex camera (sorry, I am a MF/Mamiya kind of guy). I was confused from #1 on, but only #6 made me realize that we were thinking of different cameras. Too bad, I would have liked an old professional 6x6 TLR for only $10! But with a weight of nearly one kilogram (<i>huh?!</i>) and so many inexpensive and interesting European 35mm cameras around here, I'd probably rather give the Argus C3 a miss, even if I could find one here for that price you mentioned. Maybe when I want to work out while taking pictures I will consider this camera...

11. You will be AMAZED at how bright and snappy that view- & rangefinder is when you've cleaned and adjusted it!

12. You will learn the "Argus Grip" to keep your fingers out of the way of the cocking lever as the shutter fires.

13. If you're used to digital, you'll be shocked by the fact that you can grab the camera and take a picture INSTANTLY, without having to wait for it to "boot up".... and if you change your mind and set it down, it won't shut down after 30 seconds.

14. The batteries in this thing last FOREVER.

:)=

As those of you that have known me on here for a while, I have always been quick to

expound on the virtues of the C-3 and C-4. Thursday evening, my daughter and I will be

driving to Martinsville, VA for the 4th annual Argus Collectors' Group gathering. It should

be something. Go to: <a href="http://www.acgg4.homestead.com/">http://

www.acgg4.homestead.com/</a> <p>

for more info...

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments and encouragement. I'm glad that you took my little camera review in the spirit in which it was offered. I totally agree with Gene M., this site is all about having fun. I am honored to be meeting so many kindred spirits.

I also agree with John Wire that the Argus and Kodachrome are naturals. I wish I could buy a slow-speed color print film, because on sunny days I'm restricted by my (measured) 1/100 top shutter speed. I've cleaned the shutter, but suspect that the thin copper strip that pulls the shutter through its cycle may be work-hardened.

I hope this thread doesn't drive up the cost of the venerable C-3 on the auction site!

Dennis