Why no Sigma/Canon 120-400mm OS review?

charles_lipton

I've seen a numbr of reviews of the new Sigma 150-500mm OS Canon mount lens. The Sigma 120-400mm OS was

released about the same time I believe so why hasn't there been any comprehensive reviews of the 120-400mm? Is

it just not available retail? It would seem that Sigma would want this lens in the hands of pro reviewers and compare

it to the venerable EF 100-400mm.

P.S.

Only reason I'm asking is that we're going to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park Photo Safari in October and I was hoping to see something on the Sigma before we go. Or I can just rent the 1-4L and wait to see if someone reviews the lens or Canon upgrades the IS on the 1-4L soon (as we've all been waiting for).

Chris... I agree. Popphoto is a syndicated magazine who does not like to upset any manufacturer; I don't believe I've seen any review of any lens they dont' like. slrgear, I think, is an independant site and therefore less biased. Their review seemed to favor the Canon 1-4L. But as Michael points out there are "no actual side by side comparisons .. yet". I'll wait before I decide to buy but for now I'll probably just rent the Canon.

Charles Lipton

There is a review in the current issue of Chasseur d'Images which compares it with the Canon 100-400 and the 150-500. I've yet to read the review, but some one who has claims it is favourable toward the 120-400. One thing I've seen reported several times is that the new Sigmas have very effective stabilisation (better than the old design Canon in this regard by 1-2 stops). The average verdict seems to be that the lens is good value, but you do get a slightly better optical performance from the Canon for the extra you pay.