Why no Canon adapters?

glenbarrington

I assume you mean Canon FD lenses (since EOS EF lenses require electronic control). The answer is that although at first sight the comparative lens registration distance (between the flange and sensor) would make this possible, protrusions on the rear of FD lenses interfere with the lens contacts in the camera, so sadly FD lenses remain orphaned without the possibility of using them on a DSLR.

Yeah but if you go into that Ford dealer and you notice that dealer is carrying Saab parts, and Toyota Parts and Dodge parts, wouldn't you wonder why no Chevy parts?

Actually, I discovered elsewhere that Canon FD mount has Canon 'stuff' (chevy) sticking out the back that interferes with Olympus 'stuff' (BMW motorcycle) inside the mirror box. I still don't know why there are no FL mount adapters, I'd buy one but maybe I'm the only one.

I would argue that there are two reasons that there are no FL to 4/3 adapters. First of all, the FL is such an obsolete mount that there are few people who would want it, and 2nd of all, more people would try to misuse it with FD lenses that there would be more disgruntled customers than actual customers who want it for it's intended use.

Certainly, if it were technically feasible, there would be a market for using FD-mount lenses on some current DSLRs. But if it can't be done with the short flange to focal plane distance of the Olympus 4/3 system, it certainly can't be done with any of the others, at least without including optics in the adapter that add substantial cost and quality degradation.

It should be possible, as Canon FD lenses have a shorter film-to-flange distance that just about every other major lens mount, save the Olypmpus Pen-F and E-System. Any other mounts require adding a lens element, which most people don't like. <br> <br>

Here are the distances for most of the more-common mounts. Notice that the Canon FD is very close to the top of the list: <br> <br>

CAMERA SYSTEM MOUNT TYPE REGISTER <br>

Olympus Pen F bayonet 28.95 <br>

Olympus E1 bayonet 38.67 <br>

Konica F bayonet 40.50 <br>

Canon R/FL/FD breech or bayonet 42.00 <br>

Minolta MD bayonet 43.50 <br>

Canon EOS bayonet 44.00 <br>

Sigma SA bayonet 44.00 <br>

Exakta/Topcon bayonet 44.70 <br>

K-mount bayonet 45.46 <br>

M42 screw thread 45.46 <br>

Contax/Yashica bayonet 45.50 <br>