Why make photographs?

I know there are countless reasons people make photographs...

snapshots of family & friends, vacations, product advertisements,

sports, weddings, fine art, self-expression, self-discovery,

boredom, creative inspiration, voyeurism, experimentation,

documentation, fun, leisure, etc... <br><br>

For those who go beyond the casual "snapshot" but never get to

the "professional" level, why do you shoot? Simply for the fun of

it? Is it that simple? There's certainly more, isn't there?<br><br>

Given these reasons, what is it that makes photography such a

fantastic outlet for them? Why not try writing, painting, or music

to express ourselves or document to our lives or to pass the time?

Is photography easier? Or does it "appear" easier? Is it the

technical aspect of it? Does it really matter how sharp our lenses

are for the reasons that we shoot? Do we really need the most

advanced or best equipment to accomplish what we seek in

photographs? What is it about other peoples images or the act of

making photographs that drew us into this "hobby"? Why do we still

do it? Why have some given it up?

I ask myself these types of questionson a regular basis.. still waiting for an answer. Why do you have to know why to make photos? Do all footballplayers have good reasons to play football? "Because it's fun" should be enough, shouldn't it? Why do we like music? Why do we like the sound of the shutter och the tones in a beautiful black and white photo? I think there are many questions that have the same answer here and they have to do with moods, feelings and teasing of both brainhalfes.

Creating, capturing, exploring, mastering of a science, art and feeling. How can anyone NOT photograph?

capture the moment and the detail some at times miss in the rush of life. There is an oportunity to visually 'teach'those who view your photographs.I believe photographers generally love there surroundings and wish to keep a memory of this.

<i>>>R, why not start us off by giving us your reasons?</i><br><br>

I think I started just being inspired by nice images that I'd see from friends or in magazines. Didn't really have any clue about exactly what I wanted to shoot as far as "style" or "subject matter" nor what type of camera or film I should use.<br><br>

Somewhere along the way, I had some spare time and decided to take a photography class. Got a 35mm SLR, learned the basics, and started to be inspired by B&W fine art photography as well as by fellow aspiring photographers. I've done some small gigs for money here and there, but making a career out of it or other financial reasons has never been a serious consideration. <br><br>

Mostly I think I shoot for fun. But there's definately been a collection of things I've learned about myself and about others that I'm not sure I could have got out of another single hobby. Spending time out sitting in the middle of nowhere or on long hikes all day to reflect on "life", spending countless hours working in a darkroom on a single image, working with people to get an honest and revealing portrait, sharing work with other photographers, meeting countless creative and fun people, exhibiting my work and letting others see a little of what's in my head, spending way too much money on way too many cameras and lenses and supplies ...<br><br>

I like to create, I like to learn. Photography lets me do those things and have some fun at the same time. <br><br> On the other hand, it's also extremely frustrating at times. Images not being "perfect", negatives getting ruined, non-constructive critisism, un-cooperative subjects, un-coorperative light, not enough time... There have been occassions when I've not touched a camera for long stretches of time. But for whatever reason, I find myself back and shooting again...maybe inspired by some project idea or new subject matter or whatever. <br><br> I actually think there are other "hobbies" that are somewhat analogous to photography. But I think creating photographs is easier than...say, being a songwriter for example (never had much musical talent). The accessibility of photography definately factors into why I do it. There's also the gearhead side of me that gets off on the equipment, the cool techniques, and the science of photography. And technology has made photography even more accessible today, which is wonderful. But I also think it's a distraction. It has been for me, anyway. The whole digital thing is another thing I question a great deal.

<br><br>Anyway, this post is getting to be too long, so.....

1.)

If I asked myself why I take photos before I press the shutter I likely would never bother and I'd lose the photo and the moment.

2.)

Assuming one can be a ''fluent'' photographer without too much trouble, then I would say the reasons why people do it are remarkabley similar. For some people the need to go beyond what others see as difficult is ''normal'' and they just do it, whilst for others learning photography will always be difficult.

3.)

What is a casual ''snapshot'' and what is a ''professional'' level?

Are the casual ''snapshots'' of Cartier-Bresson all ''professional''?

Are the ''professional'' photos of Cartier-Bresson casual ''snapshots''?

4.)

''Why not try writing, painting, or music to express ourselves or document to our lives or to pass the time? Is photography easier?''

I write words and music, play music, make musical instruments, paint, draw, and other stuff too. I do these things well and not just to pass the time. Yes photography is easier. The sharpness of lenses matters just as much as the sharpness of a knife matters when cutting wood, it just depends on the results you want to see.

5.)

If you have the money to buy the most advanced or best equipment to accomplish what you seek in photographs then fine, spend your money. I manage well enough with old 35mm and medium format film cameras.

6.)

I was ''drawn'' to photograaphy by a woman who showed me outstanding portraits of her diabled daughter Alicia. I understood the family but only when I saw the photos did I understand the dedication the mother had to her daughter. For me it was the superb clarity and quality of the photos coupled with raw emotion that was the strating factor. When the lady let me use her posh camera I was grinning from ear to ear and we talked about it all day and ever since. It also gave me an insight into the way people see, the differences and the similarities.

7.)

If I take a photo of the passion flowers in my garden and send it to my girlfriend she will smile, that's one reason I do it.

8.)

I have no intention of giving up taking photos.

Cheers.

A fair question. I am well beyond casual, and have no desire to go pro.

I am documenting my life, not so much for anyone else, but for my wife and I. We were looking for a hobby that we could do together, but not together. We stumbuled on photography and scrapbooking. We both take pictures, although I shoot about 10 times what she does, and afterwords she will cut them up, aka make them look good, and put them in a book to tell a story.

I get to take the pictures and post them on the web, to keep family up to date. But the one that really enjoys them is my daughter. When we travel, we grab a couple of albums and we can say, this is what we have been up to.

As with any hobby, the better you get, the better the equipment you get. Do I need ultra sharp lenses, no, but I can tell the difference between consumer grade and pro grade lenses. Do I need a telephoto, duh yes. Do I need a wide angle lens? Try shooting the side of cave or inside a building with a normal lens. Do I need a fast lens? Try shooting at a zoo with there low light exibits.

Do I take great pictures, no not really. Do I enjoy looking though my web site or my wifes scrapbook album at things we have done as a family? ABSOLUTLY !

-- Frank

There is no law restricting one to only one art form. I also write poetry, and sometimes add a haiku to a print.

The bottom line: I make photographs because I can, because I'm good at it, and because I love it. QED.

Photos and poems

Striving alike to capture

Both light and shadow

"Why make photographs?"

The ususual reason, something to do with my time between now and when I die. If it wasn't this, then it would be something else but photography fits into my life style better then say mountain biking or remote controlled planes, pottery or flower arranging.

"For those who go beyond the casual "snapshot" but never get to the "professional" level, why do you shoot?"

Cause I can't fly but since I was about nine, I could capture images.

"Simply for the fun of it? Is it that simple? There's certainly more, isn't there?"

Yep! That's about it. Only if you're living in denial or in need of evaluation do you try to infuse meaning into something that's just a hobby.

"Why do we still do it?"

Cause we got no where else to go.

"Why have some given it up?"

You'll have to ask those who have given it up to get that answer.

Why do I go to the movies, post online or go out photographing???

Nothing else to do that works.

I exercise for my body's health, read the likes of Roland Bartes to keep my mind fit and photograph for entertainment purposes. Rosa Parks was 92, God bless her.

I like to make things. anything really. I became an engineer so I could design things. I make models too. I also like taking things apart but that is a different story. anyway photographs are a technical art that I could relate too. paint is too much like writing. I can write but I don't like it.

I have thought about trying the 'professional' route. but I decided against it because for me.. if I turn it into a job then it will be just that... a job. I want to stay at the amateur level because I can still do great work - if I ever get to that level - and If my work ever gets the the great level were people want your work then I can sell MY work.. not the work that others want.. like family portraits.

I think a lot of poeple quit becuase they see how many poeple have done it and how many people have gotten pretty good and how many people are still out there doing it better, and how hard it is to get better and know there is a possiblity that you may never get better, and knowing that because of all that you may never get to be the next ansel adams :).

I started really seriously into photography as more than a hobby... I went to the serious hobby level. about last year maybe early summer. previous to that I always loved a good camera and knew how to use it and loved taking good pictures. but I started really burning through film when I could afford it.. last year early summer. I started buying equipment and all that. I have a 20d now and two MF cameras and have practiced a lot. I believe I have improved a little too. THe biggest thing I noticed however once I started into the 'photography world' is that there are hundreds of thousands out there just like me. not to mention the millions of poeple out there with point shoot cameras. that still take lots of photos. as I stepped up each level (larger film bigger camera..etc) people approach you and talk to you about it. like I have a friend Or I used to or my brother this and that. how they all used to know somebody that was into photography. you ask a few questions an many of them were at similar levels.

carry around a MF camera and it is surprising how many people know somebody with a Hasselblad. and most people who have a Hasselblad will at least know how to use it. So YOu see all them out there and you are snapping pictures of sunsets and flowers and people doing interesting things. and what comes to mind other than this has been done a lot before. I am almost tempted to quit myself many times. except that if I do then I can be one of those poeple that approaches you and says.. I once had a so and so... so I don't quit. and when I take pictures more and more lately I think to myself is this new?.. and if it isn't I find myself passing up some shots. I look for a different angle. sometimes I think I have seen this I liked the one I saw and I will try it to see if I can. I learn more this way.

I think that covered most your questions.. btw I like your question. it gave me a chance to rant and rave a bit. :)

Photography is free speech ...

... just like any other means of self expression and self discovery.

Why ask about photography alone?

How about ANY form of self expression and self discovery?

Historically, there have been 3 uses of photography -- "scientific" record keeping (debabable regarding evidentiary accuracy, but used for recordkeeping nonetheless); marketing (commercial advertising, funny, truth is anathema here!); and "other", such as self expression/communication, et cetera. Does this remind you "why we photograph", or are you asking each of us why we each photograph --our own personal reasons?

Tell us more. Thanks.

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com http://www/peterblaisephotography.com/

"The problem for an amateur is that he/she has no reason to take a photograph. -Terence Donovan"

Making money doesn't have to be the sole validation for everything we do. "Amateur" literally means, "for the love of it." In a capitalistic culture the term is often demeaned.

As a theologian who loves photography I ask "Why such an incredible universe?" My only answer can be "for the sheer enjoyment of it!" That's also why I photograph.

Simple -- because it is FUN. And Fast. And a way to document your life and those close to it and share it with friends and family. Some people blab on the phone for hours or blog away, or even write letters or long emails; a picture's worth a 1000 words. Also it's a good hobby to attempt to master and parlay it into some easy dollars.

<p>

All in all it is an artistic and documentary medium.

I do it simply because, it's like a good book...It takes me away from where I work, where I live, everyday life. Being a landscape photographer I get to do my favorite thing...to go to places I've never been, satisfy my Wanderlust, and it gives me a reason to travel. Am I an amateur? Yes, and I always will be. I don't like having someone tell me when, where, what, and how to shoot. If I start selling my work, great! I can always use more $$. Do I need the sharpest lenses...no, but it helps. (I can always use a diffuser or soft focus the enlarger) Do I need the latest most high tech equipment? No, the most advanced camera I have is a Canon Elan II, but I usually use my Tachihara 4X5 with a 30 year old lens. Why have people given up? Frustration would be my first guess. Finally, I do it because it challenges me physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

--Thomas W

Why do I make photogrpahs? Because it doesn't occur to me not to. OK so maybe that's a kind of cop out answere but there is some truth to it. I do street photography. I have no idea why I prefer this style over any other. There are two things I recall that were said to me recently after a couple people viewed some of my prints. One was "You have a dark side" which was said to me by a casual friend. The other was from a friend who happens to be a shrink. He said "You seem to be searching for something. Some kind of answere maybe". These two statements may or may not be true. Over all I really don't care. Some things are better left unknown.

Regards,

Marc

Tripping the shutter is all about the subject, but choosing what to print and how to print it is about me.

Some people know themselves well, and are comfortable with themselves. I am not one of them. If I pull out old proofs, some of them I am embarrassed about, but a few will regenerate the same feelings I had pulling it out of the fix years ago.

However sappy this may sound, I need a reminder of who I was every once in a while. The pictures I make today will be that reminder somewhere down the road.

BTW, I have tried writing and music. More than tried. Seems that I, like many others, am much less tolerant of bad writing and bad music.

Here are some of my reasons to the original question:

<ul>

<li>To use the the opportunity I have.

<li>To document changing things, individual people, current period of time, and things that may later have value.

<li>To present other people with something they may be interested to see.

<li>To have something to hang on the wall.

<li>Because I get pleasure of photographing.

<li>Because photographing is a good excuse for socializing with people.

</ul>

To document my life and that of friends and family. I can look at a photograph and it takes me back to that time and place.....

To record that which may not be here tomorrow....

As an exercise for my mind and an outlet for creative urges. Most people feel some urge to be creative...photography is my outlet. A lot of introspection goes into some of my photographs. I don't claim to be good, but during those times you get it right there is not to many better feelings....

All the usual things apply to me. I like to have the memories on film (or hard disc actually). I like the recording. I'm technically inclined so I like the time on the computer and I like the feeling that I'm doing something productive, not just playing a game. I like the constant learning process. As I often say, I don't know if my photgraphs are good but I do know they are better and that makes me happy.

But, here's the big thing ... I like what photography makes me become. I like the way it makes me approach the world and see and do things. I lived in Europe a long time and I've never lived in one place for more than a few years so I have a natural tendency to explore everywhere I go, to read books about it and seek out everything there is to see. Some people live in Washington and never go up the Washington monument; I would go every week. So, for me, photography amplifies and expands that tendency. Today was a beautiful fall day here by the Smoky's with the leaves turning and the water flowing. Maybe I should have mowed the lawn or studied something, but being a photographer, I felt like I had to get out and shoot. So, I did. Yard's a mess, but I got some great shots. Being a photographer makes me feel like a tourist even when I'm home. That's what I get out of it.