why is this canon 5d so cheap?

mreul

Do not order from there. Do a search under google, type in bestpricecameras.com review. You'll see a ton of horrible reviews from that website. There are few websites sells just as cheap as bestpricecamera.com, people suspect it's opened by the same person scamming people around.

wow - thanks for the input....i realize when something looks to good well it usually ISN'T but geeeeh....how do they get away w/ people's money like that? seriously people never get their products? and also what about pcrush? that's where i got my 20d 2 years ago and has been great and customer service was seemingly great....????

Before you order check shipping charges. If the price looks to good to be true it probably is. After many years I am only comfortable with B&H and Adorama. There may be others but I am not comfortable with most mail order outfits. Watch for bait and switch, exhorbitant prices for accessories. It is a jungle out there.

Most of my purchases are from B&H and I've always been 100% satisfied. You can find used

deals on some photo forums from reputable photographers just cleaning out old gear or on

KEH.com<p>

Gear is an investment and a tax write off. Buy from reputable sources and don't worry so

much about saving a few bucks.

This one got me too. In fact, I bought it (2 of them) and when I called to order another one, they asked if I wanted the USA or International model? Huh...

The USA model is the one we all know (still $3200), the International one is the one I ordered (at $1200) and is made of all plastic and blah blah blah. Fortunately, I caught it on time to cancel the order but they could be selling you that one and not mentioning it.

Not exactly a scam but very very sneaky.

<i>"Not exactly a scam but very very sneaky.</i><P>

No, it is <b>EXACTLY</b> a scam. There is no "International" model made of all plastic, blah, blah, blah. It doesn't exist. It's just another one of their "hooks" to make you pay full price for a USA (if you're lucky) model, since they have no intention whatsoever of selling the camera at the advertised fairytale price. If you don't <b>PAY</b> overinflated prices for the necessary accessories (batteries, cables, etc.) that Nikon provides in the box for <b>FREE</b>, the cheap advertised camera suddenly goes "out of stock".

<i>"Not exactly a scam but very very sneaky.</i><P>

No, it is <b>EXACTLY</b> a scam. There is no "International" model made of all plastic, blah, blah, blah. It doesn't exist. It's just another one of their "hooks" to make you pay full price for a USA (if you're lucky) model, since they have no intention whatsoever of selling the camera at the advertised fairytale price. If you don't <b>PAY</b> overinflated prices for the necessary accessories (batteries, cables, etc.) that Nikon provides in the box for <b>FREE</b>, the cheap advertised camera suddenly goes "out of stock".

Two words: Eliot Spitzer.

Classic bait and switch scam shops. I think that a bunch of people here should sign up to call these places and waste their time so much that they eventually get put out of business.

I have done this a few times to annoy them and it's a lot of fun to hear their lies - how the plastic body isn't very good, or it doesn't ship with a charger, or that if you don't buy their memory cards the camera's shutter won't be as fast! that last one is hilarious.

It's almost amusing - b/c they are a scam shop, the credit card people dont' trust them to take a CC order over the phone - they send you some email form and you send it back to them.

They are liars. Good luck getting one.

Conrad

by the way - I should make it clear that there is no plastic body 20D or 5D! a 5D is a 5D. the only difference from the 5D's that this store is selling is that they aren't going to sell you one for under $1000!

can you imagine the marketing nightmare that canon would have if they had two versions of every body?