Why is there different price for FM3A black vs. chrome

john y.k. lee

cameras are made to be use. blacks cameras are more useful almost always...but the price is probably because they produce less black bodies. do you want to TAKE photographs or do you want to BE photographed with your "classier" camera?

how many modern pro camera are chrome and how many are black??

get the point?

John:

I have a black FM3a and the black 45mm pancake Nikor and the total price diff was about 100 Singapore dollars -about 60 US.

Chrome cameras look like champagne Nikon N 65s at the beach, whereas black cameras look like what the photog in Apocalypse Now had on his neck.

The black ones are supposed to be less obvious, as some famous photogs(one with a hyphenated name, legend has it,) even covered the logo/name with back tape to further lessen the visual impact so the subject would be less aware of being the subject of a decisive moment.

Personal choice-chrome cameras look tacky to me. IMHO!!!

Cheers

The black and chrome bodies have identical specs, features... etc. The only different is the color and the price. Depends on personal choice, some prefer black others like chrome.

The black body is more expensive because it cost more to produce (cost of the black coating. )

I had 2 Nikon FM2N bodies bought new at the same time in the late 80s. (Paid the same "chrome" price) I used them almost equally with 2 MD12s. After years of usage, chrome still look nice and shiny. The black had shown brass and scuff marks can be seen easily. I traded the black body for an F100 couple years ago and still have the chrome body.

If the F100 was made in chrome and cost less, I would get the chrome F100. (-:

Just my 2 cents

Well first of all the black paint is heated for several hours(same with cars) to make it harder and more durable. Chrome isnt. Probably supply and demand has something to do with the price difference also.

Why is Black better? Well in the old days professional photog's were 'only' using black bodys, simply because they dont reflect light. If you are close to a subject you can get a reflection of your camera on the subject. THATS ALL! A watch does the same btw, or a white t-shirt etc.

Greetings,

It has been my experience that black camera bodies will wear thru to the brass well before a chrome plated body will. The chrome finish on old camaeras (non plastic) is plated on; where as the black finish is painted on. <BR><BR>In the early 1970's there was an article in Modern Photography about repainting a chrome camera black. first the chrome parts are removed; and then dechromed in an electrical bath using current. Then these parts are buffed up; and any scale is removed. Then these brass parts are painted black and baked in an oven.<BR><BR>In Engineering; many times we would chrome plate brass objects in mechanisms to give them wear resistance. Not all chromes are the same.

If you want to sell your camera at some point down the road, the black will probably get you more money (though it might be more difficult to maintain the finish).

Anyway, is the price difference really $70? I thought it was more like $25 for Gray version (not another color choice).