Why is RAW is not seen by windows XP sp1?

robert_tan1

I have tried shooting at RAW and LF with my sandisk 2GB ultra II but have a

major problem.When the CF card was full,i transferred everything to my

pc.In "My picture" folder,i had two of the same image! But that folder says

only 1GB size! It was not 2gb since the cf card has 2gb storage?

Same image,same size and both are in jpeg.

I thought RAW was in .CR2 format but i couldn't find it?I can't shoot

anymore with my CF card of 2GB when whatever i have is only 1GB.This is really

strange!I clicked on "My computer" and onwards to my XTi and it says only 1GB

has been used.

Suspecting the CF card to be lousy,i then transferred what i had in my 1gb

My picture folder to my usb 2gb drive.I could store twice that amount there.

The big question now is, why was the raw not stored in the CF card?Or was it

stored but windows xp sp 1 can't see it? This is really baffling!

Windows XP cannot display RAW formats on its own. You can download a free raw image viewer from Microsoft's website. Then RAW files are displayed like jpegs. The quality of rendition, however, is far inferior to Canon's DPP or Photoshop, but it is good enogh for a quick orientation from the Windows explorer.

Thanks Ulrich!That was why i did not find the .cr2 extension in my pictures folder.It was also the same size and image as the jpg ext and now i have doubles of both.

I once shot a pix with the raw setting and accessed it with dpp or was it zoombrowser,Zb, and it appeared.But that was only one picture.What is if shot 20 raw pictures? Would i have to send one by one to my pc for win xp to handle it?I don't want my pc to crash if it was overloaded and with my xti still attached to it.Yikes.

Gruezi Ulrich. I just saw your profile and wanted to extend heartfelt thanks to all you Germans when i hitchhiked across Deutschland in the early 80's.I know of a marvellous family in Schweinfurt and they drove me around the Umgebung like a tourist.I had many pictures taken on the Roamantishces Strasse but they were all burnt when the house i kept them in burnt down.I was in Bern at that time.Long story and a real pity.Now with my xti, i will try again and live the life of Goldmund in modern times!

Merci vielmal Zaemaa >> Vielen Dank alles zusammen.I just wanted to see the reaction of those people that can understand both German and English.Actually servus is used more commonly in Austria,Gruss Gott in Bayern and as you can see from my above appreciation,it is swiss german.I used to work there for a while and it crept into my vocab.Thanks for the tip on Picasa.

As a long-time and exclusive RAW shooter, I'd suggest a few things ...

1. Shoot RAW only - turn off the JPEG option (camera will convert internally to JPEG for rear-screen review anyway).

2. Transfer the files to your PC via a card reader (copy/paste)

3. Convert your files to Adobe's open Digital Negative (*.DNG) format using their free converter. The converter can be used to transfer the files from your card reader to your PC - rename them in the process - gives you the ability to open them in ANY version of CS, and eliminates those pesky *.xmp sidecar files". All gain, no pain.

1.thanks for the advice.I am not sure what CS means..

2."Convert your files to Adobe's open Digital Negative (*.DNG) format

using

their free converter"...sorry but i am having trouble with adobe even with the updates and installation,it still won't work except leaving pesky adobe thumbnails everywhere...

3.Having a card reader is a no-no cos i had a friend and his constant insertions have broke one of the pins inside the xti that reads his CF card....i am sticking to the usb connection cos at least i can see what i am inserting.The CF card goes all the way in and at the bottom are the pins that seems to break easily.Possible design flaw.

4.Right now i go to My computer,then scanners and cameras and then click on explore and what i see,i highlight it and click copy to My pictures.Everything,all 2gb of RAW and LF was copied but like i did the last few times,they were somehow reduced to jpeg of half the size..meaning 1gb was what i got in the end.1 whole GB were lost during the transfer but still exist in my card. I wish i can have all 2gb transferred but that is not easy.

Robert,

Let's simplify a moment:

<br><br>

1. Clear a CF card of all photos and place it in your camera (which camera do you use?)<br>

2. Place camera in 'M', 'Av' or 'Tv' mode.<br>

3. In the menu select your output format as RAW only (no JPEGs).<br>

4. Take a picture.<br>

5. Plug in to computer and find the photo on the card. Can you see its file extension? What is the extension? (should be CR2). Can you see its file size? What size is it?<br>

6. Using file explorer (only) copy the file onto your hard disk. <br>

7. What is its file extension now? What file size is it? How many copies of it do you see?<br>

<br>

Do you have DPP or another RAW file reader installed? If so can you open this file? What type of file does this RAW reader think you have opened?<br><br>

I don't use the 'scanners and cameras' path - when you plug in a USB device it appears as another drive. e.g. 'E:' drive.<br><br>

I am not surprised you are having installation problems. Windows XP SP2 is an enormous upgrade disk for a good reason - SP1 and before were riddled with problems. If you can, upgrade to at least SP2 as soon as possible.

I never have problems with either RAW only or RAW + JPEG using a card reader. Make sure the card is formatted on the camera never with Windows. Delete files only on the camera not in Windows. Just use Windows to read the card - no writes for formats. When off loading you have to descend into each of those Canon directories (156Canon, 157Canon, *Canon... ) to get at the pictures or use lightroom or a script to do it. The files should be there with extensions *.jpg and *.cr2. He should be able to get get both.

Also SP1 is a little long in the tooth.

Thanks you so much guys!

I did exactly what Glen Flower suggested and it worked.But that is only 1 pix only.Why doesn't it work when i program it for Large Fine and Raw together since that funtion is available in the menu?It seems so easy on Page 62 of the manual but in reality,it is a real headache for non-techies like me.

After going into the camera folder and copying all those files into My pictures,i accidentally deleted those files inside the Compact flash card by using the windows command delete.I hope i did not damage my CF card.Is it because the windows delete command is too brutal?Of course the normal way is to use the xti menu to erase all and that will be ok.Hopefully,i did not corrupt my card by this stupid act.

One more thing,i can't use sp2 because the last time i upgraded to that i was having tons of problems.My pc ran slow,jammed often and worst of all,the upgraded windows moviemaker did not work at all and that was really bad cos i use that a lot for making videos that are later burnt onto dvds.I could not get rid of sp2 using the normal recommended procedure so in the end,i had to format my HD and reinstall xp sp1 and all was okey dokey again.Ah,a breath of fresh air.I don't wanna go thru that whole hell hole again and for now,i will stick with sp1.

One more thing,I was recommended to take only RAW alone.So,if i do take 10 snaps in RAW,would all those transfers jam my pc or should i use the DPP or ZB to transfer one by one?I have 1.25GB ddr sdram and i hope that can cope with the heavy load.Last time i opened a jpeg file of 5MB in paint,my pc froze and only a hard cold shutdown by pressing the shutoff button could work!

Thanks in advance guy and i look forward to your replies.

Regards,

Really green newbie,Robert.

Thanks David Lisowski,

RE:I never have problems with either RAW only or RAW + JPEG using a card reader..

I had a friend and after using the card reader,he inserted it back into his xti and somehow one of the pins inside got bent.He did not know about it and when he closed the little door,it just broke. Now it is in repair and he shudders at the cost of it.I use the usb because all items are quite short unlike the pins deep inside the xti body and a little gentle wriggling usually solve the problems.I always insert straight in and if there is any obstruction,i slowly pull it out and try gently again.So far,so good.Thanks for the advice.

You will continue to have problems until you upgrade your operating system. <br><br>

So: Test 1 worked, now lets try test 2:

<br><br>

1. Clear a CF card of all photos and place it in your camera (which camera do you use?)<br>

2. Format the card in the camera.<br>

2. Place camera in 'M', 'Av' or 'Tv' mode.<br>

3. In the menu select your output format as RAW + Large JPEG.<br>

4. Take one photo.<br>

5. Plug in to computer and find the photo on the card. There should be two files. You should see one CR2 and one JPEG. Can you see the file sizes? What sizes are they?<br>

6. Using file explorer (only) copy the two files onto your hard disk.<br>

7. What are the file extensions now? What file sizes are they? How many copies of each do you see? (1 + 1)<br><br>

Open the RAW file with the RAW reader - what type of file does the reader say it is?<br>

Open the JPEG file.

<br><br>

If this works then disconnect the camera (make sure you stop the USB device). Take multiple photos and try again. How does it work with 4 photos? 10? etc.

<br><br>

Taking many RAW files should not JAM your PC at all - the transfer happens one at a time. Check that your hard disk is not close to being full though.<br><br>

You should be able to use EOS Utility (with DPP) to transfer multiple files.

You need to make sure you are not using any loader which converts files to JPEG.

So: Test 1 worked, now lets try test 2:

1. Clear a CF card of all photos and place it in your camera (which

camera do

you use?) Rebel Xti / 400D

2. Format the card in the camera.

2. Place camera in 'M', 'Av' or 'Tv' mode.

3. In the menu select your output format as RAW + Large JPEG.

4. Take one photo.

5. Plug in to computer and find the photo on the card. There should be

two

files. You should see one CR2 and one JPEG. Can you see the file sizes?

What

sizes are they? ONLY 1 SEEN.

However,there was a warning everytime I do this:

[CameraViewer] is not compatible with the detected computer.

6. Using file explorer (only) copy the two files onto your hard disk. ONLY ONE IS COPIED I had to use camera and scanner wizard.Neither DPP nor ZB recoginse anything inside the cf card but i know there is something there.

If on raw alone,dpp sees it!

7. What are the file extensions now? ONLY JPEG What file sizes are they? 4.66MB How many

copies

of each do you see? (1 + 1) ONLY ONE OF JPEG.THE RAW IS GONE!

The way i see it,the large fine setting kills the raw option and is never seen again.

Open the RAW file with the RAW reader - what type of file does the

reader say

it is?NONE

Open the JPEG file. YES,PICTURE IS OK.

If this works then disconnect the camera (make sure you stop the USB

device).

Take multiple photos and try again. How does it work with 4 photos?

10? etc.

Taking many RAW files should not JAM your PC at all - the transfer

happens one

at a time. Check that your hard disk is not close to being full

though.

You should be able to use EOS Utility (with DPP) to transfer multiple

files.

You need to make sure you are not using any loader which converts files

to JPEG.

CONCLUSION:

Test 1

On proceeding,if only RAW files were selected,all RAW will be successfully seen in DPP and ZB.

Test 2

On proceeding,if only Large Fine files were selected, all Jpeg will be successfully seen.

Test 3

On attempting RAW and JPEG, only one can be seen as JPEG and this can be copied to folder.

I am going nuts!

This is your problem: "[CameraViewer] is not compatible with the detected computer. "

Look in Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs for any old Canon software (maybe from other cameras) and remove it. Remove and reinstall DPP and EOS Utility if you can.

You need SP2.

thank you so much for your patience in this highly technical matter..i know i am horrible at this but at least i did try my best..if nothing works,i would stick to LF..it is good enough for me and the rest,i will go to the print kiosk and meddle with the controls til the cows come home..well,at least,an hour before closing time when no one is around anyway ;)

RAW is too advanced for me and i don't like to meddle with the pix cos i am a purist at heart.What i see is what i get but if it doesn't turn out the way i wanted it, well,that's life.Accept.(Exhale) Somehow,it all boils down to what really matters and i want plain,simple,unadulterated,fun.It it's work,it ain't worth it.

Thanks for all that extra help Glen Flower.How do i nominate you for the hero icon?

See:

Members with hero icons have put an enormous effort into contributing to the site making it a better place for others to develop their photography expertise. Heroes are chosen on a case by case basis. Some of the heroes have put great effort into teaching other members by answering their question in a thoughtful way. Others have volunteered by moderating, writing articles or working regularly with the full time staff. We realize the selection process is not perfect, so there may be people who have been overlooked. If this is the case please let us know. The hero icon is designed to thank these individuals for all the time and effort they have put into making photo.net a better learning environment for others and to give them the credit and recognition they deserve.