fact that when I print a borderless image in Photoshop CS to my Epson

R800 printer, either the software or printer seem to crop the image

slightly. I get this warning just before printing: "image larger than

paper's printable area; some clipping may occur" ... Well, I don't

want that clipping to occur. The use of the word clipping here is

confusing, I realize, given that it normally refers to color

management. What I'm dealing with is slight cropping. How can I get

the printer to print exactly what I see? I'm tired of guessing by

cropping the image larger than I want printed.

If you want the printer to print the entire image to the paper size, you can select somewhere in the printer dialogue that it should be automatically scaled to fit the paper size.<p>

Clipping (or cropping) occurs when the set dpi and resolution adds up to a size bigger than the printable area, and as the print dpi (or ppi, really), is what you tell Photoshop to size the image by when sent to printing, you can alternatively change that to make it fit within the size of your paper.<p>

I'm not sure how the R800 works on borderless images, but I know that even when set to scale to paper size, my PictureMate does print so that still some of the image is cropped off - I guess it's a slight buffer to avoid white edges on a borderless print, but it's a bit much for my taste, and so I tend to set the size manually to make it fit exactly, which requires a few test prints to get right.<p>

<p>I don't use CS, nor do I use an Epson printer. But the message indicates that your image is larger than the printable paper size you've selected. What are the dimensions (in inches or centimeters, not in pixels) of your image and your paper?</p>

<p>If I were to try taking a JPEG straight from my EOS 20D at its highest quality mode, it's approximately 14.6x9.73" (IIRC, the camera sets the DPI to 240), and if I try to print that on an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, of course it's going to clip. I don't believe that's the problem you're having.</p>

<p>If I manually crop it to exactly 8.5x11", I no longer get a warning, because it now fits on the page. Well, that's what the software thinks; in borderless mode, my printer makes images ever so slightly larger, so the edges of my file won't actually appear on paper. Maybe your Epson's driver does something similar, but is actually telling Photoshop that it can't print quite an entire 8.5x11" print, or whatever paper size you're using?</p>

<p>My guess as to why my printer does this in borderless mode is one of the reasons minilabs don't print 100% of the frame from film: to allow for slight alignment issues. If it printed at exactly 100%, but the paper was misaligned even slightly, you'd get a white edge, which might even vary in size from one side of the paper to the other. Imagine the uproar from consumers when they kept getting white edges on their "borderless" prints! So the printer takes the safe way out and prints the image slightly larger. It doesn't do this if not in borderless mode because everyone expects a border in that situation, and people don't complain if one border is a millimeter wider on one print than it is on the next. If I print an 8x10" image on 8.5x11" paper, my ruler says the print is exactly 8x10".</p>

I am using a Epson 2100 and have the same problem when printing from PS.

The printer always print to large.

The image size is 30x40cm, 300dpi so it should be 30x40 when it is printed as well. Well it is not for some strange reason, it is bigger. If I set it (in print preview) to rescale it to 99% it gets almost the correct size but still a bit to big.

I have not manage to figure out what I am doing wrong...

I just (10 minutes ago) discovered the same problem on my Epson R1800.

When I print with Borderless turned off, the print image dimensions

are precisely the size as shown in Photoshop (CS2). About 1/8 inch

is not printed around the border (on 11" x 14" paper).

When I turn on Borderless, the system appears to expand the image

so that the exact same portion of the image that appeared on the

first print (with borders) now fills the full 11" x 14" paper.

Unfortunately, the 1/8" I lost in the first print does not show up

in the second print either!

It looks like a little math work might let you design the image

so that, when printing borderless, the image will fill the paper

AND be the desired size. (...and the math will probably be different

for different sizes of paper.)

• 9 months later...

I have had the same issue with an Epson Stylus Photo RX600 - clipping with borderless but not with border photos. Someone on another forum gave me this reference which explains the problem completely. Just too bad it's not clarified by the manufacturers:

<a href="http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/March_2005.html"></a>

PS sorry I haven't mastered PN links yet.

I just got this answer by e-mail from Epson. Turns out there is an "expansion" adjustment:

When you go to FILE---->PRINT, click the PROPERTIES button and click

Advanced at the bottom, then click the PAGE LAYOUT tab, adjust the

EXPANSION bar by moving the slider towards minimum and try printing again,

adjust the slider if necessary.

A couple of notes to their note:

1. You have to be in borderless mode to get to this setting.

2. I don't think you have to click on Advanced, you can just go to the Page Layout tab.

I haven't tried printing with this yet, but when selecting the slider, it does tell you that if you expand the page less you may get white edges, so it may take some trial and error.