Why is cut-off feet so important?

derek_c.

I don't understand why cut-off feet is such a big no no.<br>

If pictures look good with the feet cut off, they are still good.<br>

If pictures look good with the nose cut off, they are still good.<br>

Same goes with head, arm, leg... etc.<br>

Am I the only one thinking this way?<br>

I agree with Jaime -it does look awkward generally speaking. Sometimes it "works " though BUT you need to experiment and get a feel for when it does. Feet cut off -IMO-look the worst -for it generally looks accidental. Good cropping makes the difference sometimes between good pix and bad. Best regards -RichD

Some folks pay big bucks for shoes to attend the wedding, so like beauty contest 'moms,' wo want the whole dress in the photo, the shoes are very important.

No matter how the pose looks, the shoes may be a key element.

Go figure.

If it's just a small piece that is missing in the picture, it looks like a mistake or imperfection. If more of the scene is cut off, it usually passes for an intentional crop.

And then you have people like my mom, who thinks that if the camera was pointed at correct person, than the picture is a keeper (nevermind other technicalities, like exposure or focus). We have number of pictures in our family album where people do not have heads, but that's fine, because she knows who it is and afterall, everybody must recognize that hand-knit sweater.

Cut off feet usually go with heads that are placed in the center of the frame, with lots of air above the heads. This is usually the way an amateur shoots, so that's one of the reasons to avoid doing so. Otherwise, unless there is a really good compositional reason, it just makes people look like they are going to topple over without any "support".

If you are fully aware of the posing or candid photo at weddings, then it won't be that important. Most photographers should know to take an overall image first, which includes full lengths and then go from there.

It is only those who think reducing a full vertical image on the bride to a 3/4 or so, haven't understood the true art of wedding photography.

Peter H.

Washington, DC