Why is a photo in recent critique requests that was not submitted for critique?

afs760bf

The link for "rate recent" under critique requests, I assumed to be

for rating recent critique requests. While browsing through this

category, I was surprised to find that a photo of mine appeared that

I had not submitted for a critique request. Wouldn't one assume that

if they click on the "rate recent" link under "Critique Requests"

that they are rating photos which the photographers submitted for

critique and/or ratings? I guess I actually don't have to submit

any - they'll all show up anyway.

Barry, that photo isn't in the Photocritique Queue so I don't see how it could have been presented to you in the "rate recent" feature. In fact, it doesn't have any ratings that were given in the "rate recent" feature.

Mark and Laurie, if you saw the same photo twice in the TRP, was it on different pages? I can see how that might happen if you happened to turn the page just as the ranking was being recomputed. For example, it might be page 1 before the ranking was recalculated and on page 2 afterwards. If you clicked on page 1 before the recalculation was complete then hit "Next" after the recalculation, you would see it again in its new position on page 2. That would be normal, albeit a bit surprising.

If you saw the same photo twice on the same page, then that would not be normal and would indicate some kind of bug.

Brian,

Can you look through the photo ID's that were presented to me today through the "rate recent" link? I started on the gallery page, clicked on "Critique Requests" under the GALLERY heading on the left side, and then clicked on "Recent (rate)". I went through quite a few before that photo was presented, but it was in the same frame with the comment box at the top and the numbers with the radio buttons. I clicked out of it, and when I came back, and refreshed the page, the photo was still there. I could skip it and go to another one. I guess I should have rated it, so I could prove I saw it, but I try not to rate my own photos (unlike some). I am not nuts (well, maybe I AM nuts, but I am not nuts about that). So then I went and looked at the photo and noticed that it now has two ratings, so I assumed (I guess wrongly) that those people also rated it through the "rate recent" queue. Just some kind of hiccup, I guess. It doesn't bother me, it's just that I figured that maybe in your software changes for the TRP sorts, or something, the display commands ran afoul of one another. No big deal.

Brian,

The photo now has four ratings. Doesn't it seem strange that it would get four ratings in eight hours if it's not in some kind of visible queue? I've posted Critique Requests before that didn't get that many ratings in a week.

Thanks Brian. I guess that would make sense. How often is that sort recalculated? I've noticed when I look at the 24 hour view that photos posted in the RFC earlier (say, a few hours earlier)that had relatively high rates, were not showing up at all in the 24 hour view. I wish I had some examples but I don't. Maybe I'm just not understanding the criteria for selecting the photos to be presented in that particular sort.

Barry, people can rate your photo even if you haven't submitted it for critique. Nobody would see it in the "rate recent" feature, but they could visit your page. Some people might have marked you as "interesting", and they would see that you had uploaded a new photo in their workspace. Perhaps you have fans now, dude.

Well, Brian, of the four "fans" who rated this photo, only one of them has ever rated any of my other photos, so I perceive that your fan hypothesis is flawed. At least I should not be accused of "mate-rating," which seems to be a fate worse than manipulation.