Why Hoya Pentax release press releases only in Japanese?

14mm 2.8l

<strong>Thanks to "Kimpira" at pentaxforums, you may now read a better than google translation of what pentax said in Japanese Media. I cannot understand why hoya pentax offers no translations and instead rely on google to get their messages out ? ! ? ! ???</strong>

<strong></strong>

<strong></strong>

<strong></strong>

<strong></strong>

<strong></strong>

<strong></strong>

<strong>"I tried translation"</strong>

<hr size="1" />

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

"DC Watch, IMPRESS<br /><br />Title:<strong>PENTAX will introduce a new DSLR in the summer 2009, the concept changes from K20D. PENTAX has no relation to Samsung mirror-less camera.</strong><br /><br />In Photokina, PENTAX insisted in introducing successors of K20D and K200D by the summer. What has been developed by PENTAX?<br />Many PENTAX freaks anticipated no DSLR introduction in PMA 2009 but they want to know the move of PENTAX.<br /><br />DC Watch interviewed Mr. Taku Kawauchi, a planning group manager, PENTAX imaging system company, HOYA. He got the manager post in March 2009.<br /><br /><strong>-----K20D class model will not be a direct successor of K20D?</strong><br /><br />Mr. Kawauchi had been publicity management before PMA, so he knew very well the past published information by PENTAX. Before DC Watch asked questions, he mentioned 2 models of DSLR.<br /><br />PENTAX developed 2 DSLR models in September 2008, Photokina season, but PENTAX revised development roadmap after Photokina; K20D class model will hit the market by the summer 2009, K200D class model will hit the market in the New Year season 2010.<br /><br />"This in not because the world-wide recession. PENTAX revised the plan to introduce K20D class DSLR after the hard discussion. Although now PENTAX cut some lenses and T/C on the lens- developing roadmap, PENTAX plans to reintroduce the lenses afterward." Mr. Kawauchi said.<br /><br />PENTAX plans to revise standard DA lenses that will to be fit to new K20D class model (this is not a direct successor of K20D).<br />Mr. Kawauchi said "When new camera will appear, you must know the whole thing about the reason of revising. Enjoy waiting."<br />"The lenses revising include no optical layout change, but refinement to fit to the new body."<br />What functions will new body have?<br />He did not mention specific things about it. "New body should have full functions in trend of DSLR world. If the functions are not enough, PENTAX users will get disappointed apparently."<br /><br />PENTAX does not only seem to develop the new body with full latest function, but also the attitude of the K20D class model will be a competing thing.<br />'K20D class' means the model is not a direct successor of K20D.<br />Although many users like K20D body, Mr. Kawauchi think "K20D body maybe lack a certain attitude that PENTAX had for a long time."<br /><br />" For instance, Limited lenses have many attractive features: precise design, easy to use and high performance. We can't evaluate the body that can not compete with rivals a few months after the release. What is the competence of PENTAX? This is the question for you."<br /><br />Mr. Kawauchi hinted some things.<br />For instance, DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited has the following features; a built-in hood is capable for handling and the design of the gauge area is very precise.<br />It seems to be a precision product. The lenses cap with embossed PENTAX logotype is well made because the logotypes correctly horizontal at the secure position.<br /><br />These features are not high technology things, but from the PENTAX attitude that makes good things. The new camera should have such an attitude and the users will always love it "even in the bed."<br /><br />Mr. Kawauchi said PENTAX evaluates size-factor because K20D is big to handle and PENTAX users want to have smaller bodies.<br />He said new DSLR will be so smaller than K20D that it should be match to DA Limited lenses.<br /><br />He said K20D and K200D have a similar design scheme, but new K20D class DSLR will have a different design taste to 2010 new year season camera(K200D class DSLR).<br />He said "development staffs are very pleased to join the new DSLR projects. They think they could show the ability as PENTAX. The new model might be suitable for PENTAX users' expectation.<br />In addition, PENTAX mentioned the priority of 645D was higher than FF DSLR and the development of 645D resumed. In this interview, Mr. Kawauchi said the development of 645D is going on. DC Watch thinks PENTAX might make a presentation about 645D as a real product in PIE 2009 or later.<br /><br /><strong>-----PENTAX has no relation to NX system</strong><br /><br />Mr. Kawauchi said they have completely no relation to NX system of Samsung.<br />But in other category, PENTAX have a partnership still with Samsung.<br /><br />Mr. Kawauchi said "We did not know more than the information about mirror-less camera of Samsung from international news media after Photokina. In fact, there is no joint venture about NX system. Right now, we have no conversation about NX system and Lenses for NX."<br />The rumor that PENTAX and Samsung have a partnership about NX system is not correct according to Mr. Kawauchi.<br />Actually the partnership of PENTAX and Samsung deals the development of camera bodies, not lenses. (Samsung DSLR lenses are OEM of PENTAX.)<br />Also the rumor that Sigma and Samsung has a partnership about NX lenses was denied by Kazuto Yamamoto, Sigma president. ”Many people ask me about joint venture to Samsung, in fact Sigma has no business in the NX.”<br />DC Watch has no information about NX lenses manufacturer.<br /><br /><strong>----PENTAX gives priority to K mount system more than a mirror-less system</strong><br />"We want to make the product with the proud of a manufacture company."(Mr. Kawauchi)<br /><br />Mr. Kawauchi said "We are interesting in the system change by the mirror-less method, however our priority is to complete our lens-system. Mirror-less system is worth to think about, but we have no plan right now." He mentioned that the focal point of PENTAX will be to develop DSLR as an optical maker, not mirror-less.<br /><br />“We also have to develop 645D system. It needs power. Creating new lenses mount like NX system needs as huge power as a Full-frame DSLR system. If we can not comprehend that the new system is superior to K mount system in all aspects, we never enter the mirror-less category.”<br /><br />At the end of the interview, Mr. Kawauchi said to PENTAX fans.<br />"Obviously there is world wide recession. We think recession mainly affects entry-level DSLRs. In high-amateur level category, customers will pay to the products that they love and want seriously". <br /><br />"We, PENTAX want to make the product with the proud of a manufacture company. We will make severe cost-management, but pour money to the necessary parts and functions. We do not only want get the share of products. We want the users to buy PENTAX unique goods with their pleasure".<br /><br />"In 2009, PENTAX will offer the cameras (compacts and DSLRs) that are not only good products, but also bring pleasure to users' hearts."

>>>>>>>Translation Link found here>>>>>>>>>>>

<a href="http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/520089-post60.html">http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/520089-post60.html</a>

<p>Thanks for sharing, Lindy. Very interesting though obviously really short on details. Perhaps even a cause for some excitement, because this sounds like a hint of what many of us have been wanting...a body that inspires as the limited lenses do. Of course there's also something to worry about: "refinement to fit to the new body", but a reasonable interpretation of this is that it refers to cosmetic/build changes, possibly additional further introduction of SDM in the line-up. Introducing more serious incompatibilities or a body that doesn't work well with existing glass would be tantamount to suicide as Pentax customers would scream bloody murder so I can't imagine it would be anything as dire as that. </p>

<p>I am kind of hoping that even if Pentax doesn't plan to release a mirror-less body in the near term that they're involved enough with Samsung's product to help with a really good K-mount adapter that preserves functionality. Possibly wishful thinking of course.</p>

<blockquote>The new camera should have such an attitude and the users will always love it "even in the bed."</blockquote>

<p>Continuous dust removal setting?? I don't understand this statement. Maybe that's why it's Japanese only... they're still translating their intent for different cultures as well as languages.</p>

<p>Also, I hope they don't make the hand grip and controls too much smaller. Part of why I like my K10D is ergonomics, which is particularly important to me due to a shattered wrist.</p>

<p>Oh yeah... maybe the 645D is taking so long because (as with most MFd's) they basically are creating a new sensor format, mount, control system, and line of lenses, and they need all of them to be market ready and not outdated before they can launch. I hope they've got the interchangeable sensor and control module they were talking about before. </p>

<p>is it just me, or does that take quite a while to read?</p>

<p>The important thing for me is that they are shrinking the K20D successor, and that they are not about to go jumping back into into the 135 format. A high end body to match the Limiteds. I'd be in town for that. They could mean anything though...from a K20D in the body if a Km to a full-metal (limited style) weatherproof body built for bashing rocks which incidentally has a sensor and a lens-mount.</p>

<p>It's interesting that they are 'revising' some elements of the DA lens line-up - that scares me slightly, but it might just be mis-translation or adding SDM to more of the line-up. However, f the camera comes without a screwdrive I will go postal.</p>

<p>I guess it's just time to sit back and wait for Summer. Then finally buy one when they're releaseing the sucessor :)</p>

<p>This is quite exciting to read... the anticipation. In regards to the DA lense maybe they'll make all their DA lense have the quick-shift focusing, something which my DA 18-250 does not have. I think they are going to have a neat-tidy-smallish new body to match those limited lenses, maybe a true street photography camera.... a rangefinder??</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>"Pentax Freaks." Excellent. Even though it's a mistranslation, it still would be great if press releases actually were written this way...</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I chuckled when I read this, and then I thought, 'Wow, they're right. We <em>ARE</em> freaks..."</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Someone in the forum should make "Pentax Freak" t-shirts. :)</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am on it! I can't post the ordering in this forum, but you can send me your shirt size and quantity to my P.net email.</p>

<p>Lindy, thank you for this information!! I think I understand where he is coming from. The bottom line, as I see it, is the new model will be considerably smaller than the K20D to match the concept of the Limited series prime lenses. Since the K20D is already substantially smaller than the Nikon D300 and others in its class, and the K200D as well as the K2000 both fit in with the compact models of other competitors, this "new concept" model will likely be quite small indeed.</p>

<p>They sort of did the same kind of thing back in 2000 when they replaced their top PZ-1p with the considerably smaller, but extremely well-built MZ-S. It remains as the smallest AF SLR film body of professional build caliber ever made by anyone. Looks like there is a similar direction here. But there is also more hinted beyond that. The "attitude" of the Limited lenses is fine craftsmaship of build quality, and very high performance in an unusually compact, beautifully-made body . They are like jewels to their owners. Decades back, finely crafted cameras were admired for their appearance, showing their excellent workmanship. People felt good about owning such a piece, even when not using it (when in bed). So, by his statements, I would not be surprised to see a somewhat retro-designed metal-body jewel of a camera, totally unique in todays electronic DSLR world, yet having a high level of technical advancement for image quality. Pentax has evidently been listening to some of you who have said they'd like to see such a camera, and even simpler with less features.</p>

<p>I have never seen a serious downsizing without loss of features. That was certainly the case with the MZ-S. So it looks like a beautiful, somewhat stripped-down model in terms of losing some features, but perhaps gaining a few, is in the offing. Maybe a MODEST increase of 4fps, and 1/250 flash sync? "It will have full functions of... DSLR trend..." But what special functions of the K20D might it lose? "If the functions are not enough, Pentax users will get disappointed, apparently."</p>

<p>I agree, the new model most certainly should still continue full backward compatibility!! That has been a major strong point for Pentax! I cannot grasp what he is getting at regarding modifying DA lens design, other than addtional small models. A weather sealed DA* 24mm or 28mm maybe? A new finish to match the new cameras?</p>

<p>Of course, I am interested. But my new K20D may wind up being like the case of my PZ-1p. Because of its special advanced features and capabilities, I did not sell it because I acquired the MZ-S and other small lightweight models. I still enjoy using it to this day. I always felt Pentax should have further developed a full-size, all out model as well as their compact line. Some people prefer the feel of a larger camera body. I like both. With this in mind, and now knowing the above information, I will now place an order with Amazon for a battery grip for my new K20D- their price is quite low! So I like my sharp-shooting, compact K200D very much, but it may be the one to go, not the K20D. We will see how the features and the test results of the new stuff come off!</p>

<p>My take on all this is that last year Pentax were merrily developing the replacements for the K200 and K20.<br>

<br />Take the K200 and update it with the 14meg sensor, better AF, better frame rate, better high ISO and good liveview and you will have a great compact weather proof camera. As a K100 user that's the camera I want, not a huge K20/30.<br>

<br />Its more difficult to say where you then take the K20 replacement, other than to chase more pixels. Its the same camera as the K200 replacement in a bigger body.<br>

<br />Also the success of the smaller compact KM/2000 brought about a change in thinking a few months ago, a rumour from PMA said that the next DSLR cameras concept had changed slightly in the last month or so. My guess is that they decided to fit the K200 replacement with a pentaprism rather than a pentamirror, and probably added a second wheel.<br>

<br />From a marketing and manufacturing point of view why would you then need a K20 replacement, what extras would it offer.<br>

<br />To save face the next camera, the modified k200 replacement, will be marketed as the enthusiasts camera.<br>

<br />It remains to be seen what the K200 replacement for 2010 is, a highly modified advanced k20 replacement for the Professional. If the enthusiasts sells well then perhaps it may not appear at all.</p>

<p>Only so much you can do in a smaller body, but Ted you may be right- the K20D may be reborn in a K200D size body, complete with the 2- wheel design. The fps rate was in fact increased to more than any Pentax in the new Nikon D90 for instance, with its 2-wheel design, along with the new video feature and live view. So those upgrades could be doable for a K200D replacement and using the K20D's sensor. In which case you have a point- who then needs a K20D?</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=939884">John-Paul Treen:</a></p>

<p>Robin, I'd wait for the camera before we start talking like that :-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But it's not about the camera, it's about the attitude behind the camera. Pentax are saying this loud and clear. And I agree!</p>

<p>So I do not have to see the camera to be pleased now. :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>These features are not high technology things, but from the PENTAX attitude that makes good things. The new camera should have such an attitude and the users will always love it "even in the bed."<br /> <br /> Mr. Kawauchi said PENTAX evaluates size-factor because K20D is big to handle and PENTAX users want to have smaller bodies.<br /> He said new DSLR will be so smaller than K20D that it should be match to DA Limited lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I just kept reading this bit in a loop, while salivating like a dog tied up outside a hotdog factory. Can it be that I will live to see the birth of the <em><strong>Pentax LXD</strong> </em> ...?</p>

<p>Adam: That's exactly what I thought! Poor Pentax reps having to read through all the crap at all the different Internet forums. What a job!</p>

<p>Mis: I am salivating alongside you. But mostly I am glad that a (large) company with attitudes like this still exists.</p>

<p>If they are redesigning the lenses and not the optics, I suppose all the re-issued lenses will have SDM. Perhaps the body won't have the autofocus motor at all, and will only support SDM lenses. (That would orphan a lot of older autofocus lenses. On the other hand, it would increase demand for the new generation of SDM lenses.)<br>

With a focus on smaller, I suppose it's unlikely they'll de-cripple the mount. Sure would be nice if they did put the aperture coupler back, however, since the manual focus primes are mostly quite small. Sure would be nice to have Pentax-M lenses with full function.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>John, I'm assuming since they compared the new body to the Limited series lenses, we can assume that it will be able to use said lenses, and therefore have a screw drive.</p>

<p>At least I hope so. Because if this thing is small, light, and weather sealed, I just might have to trade in my beloved K10D ;).</p>

<p>Maybe I am just a nut, but I actually <em>like</em> a bigger DSLR body. It fits in my hands better, especially shooting vertically. I keep my battery grip on the K10 for this very reason -- to make a bigger body to hold. I don't need a FF sized DSLR, but the K10 is about as small as I would like; anything smaller is not interesting to me. If I want a camera that is ultra-portable for more discreet shooting, then a Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 would be my choice.</p>