Why does Windows 10 cut some off of photos when I print?

My old computer printed fine. When I got Win 10 it cuts off maybe 1/4 inch or more off all sides. I thought it was a problem with my software. But it does it even when using Windows to print.

It does not matter if borderless, crop to fit or plain old regular, it cuts some of the image off the edges. Normally I don't care. My crops are not that critical. But for some prints they are.

Anybody have a clue on the problem?

Thanks

What print settings are you using in the print driver? This is probably responsible for the change because the new W10 machine will have different drivers than your old machine.

Yep. I'd go through all the print driver settings carefully. Off the top of my head I'd look for one called "Scaling" (or similar). It ought to be about 100 to 102%, roughly.

The main point of this setting is to deal with tolerances in your paper size and guides, etc. It seems like you'd always want to print at 100%, the "proper size." But if your paper tracks just a tiny amount to one side you can get a white edge on the print. In this case you'd want to increase the "scaling" a tiny amount; this makes the overall image size "grow." You want it to grow just enough to cover up the white edge. (It also grows off the other side of the paper; you pretty much have to live with the slight loss of image.) Best of luck.

I agree that you should check your print settings.

In most cases, you should "scale to fit." Percent scaling applies to the original image, and will crop unless the number of pixels is less than those of the printer/resolution settings. Print settings can be confusing. In Lightroom, for example, the print area size does not automatically adjust to the paper size setting in the driver. A 4x6 setting will print in the center of an 8x10 page with wide borders. An 8x10 setting will blow the borders on a 4x6 printer.

That is one reason I prefer to use Photoshop for printing when precision is needed. At least you see a cartoon with the print imposed on the paper size before you push the button. In Lightroom, you preview border settings, without regard to the paper size.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

Yep. I'd go through all the print driver settings carefully. Off the top of my head I'd look for one called "Scaling" (or similar). It ought to be about 100 to 102%, roughly.

Scaling will depend on aspect ratio of the pic. He needs to preview his prints to see if they are not creating multiple pages.