Why do you show, or not show your images online?

Since I show some of my images online I have a vague idea why most

people post images here on p.net and elsewhere but, I have noticed

that there are many who seem to be heavily engaged in photography

yet do not feel the urge to show others in their community their

work. Is this because of a particular philosophy? Or, is it about

the delicate ego? Thank you for your responses....;)....J

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although there may be many who think of my images as quaint, or boring, or unoriginal, ..., the main reason I show them is because I like my images; I don't claim that they are the world's best images, but I can honestly say that I'm happy with them. Sharing them with others is a way of getting something in common for discussions, or whatever. If others can enjoy my photos, it makes me feel good... but I don't <i>need</i> people to praise my work in order to feel good about myself. Enjoy it if you can, else don't :-) Oh, I should add here that none of my photos are exhibited in galleries...

Why do I share my photos? The two or three interesting/fun discussions that were born in the one year i'm around photo.net is already worth it for me.

Oh, and I also share them to get to the top pages ;o)

I show a few images online, I'm not sure why. Most of my work I don't show because the only person who's opinion counts is my own. If I'm happy with my work, I'm happy, if I'm not, I'm not. I shoot for myself, not for others most of the time. I have little interest in being praised (or criticized).

I am convinced that showing my pictures online has helped me to become a better photographer. Also, on several occasions recently I have used the currently existing "themes" in the "No Words" forum as self-directed photo assignments, in that I would shoot Street Photography with the expectation of contributing any images of value to one or more of these "theme" threads.

Truthfully, I haven't posted any of my work because I am new to the computer! I'm still an active darkroom person (yesterday I developed 12 rolls of 120 film). But I have seen so many people who post their photos too large, or too small, or with fancy frames and signatures, that I'm afraid I won't do my pics justice. Also, I don't think I've seen any work like mine! I'm afraid that if I put up my photos of transvestites, punks or rockers, that they'll be removed due to someone being "offended." But as a former college photography instructor, I love to look at and "grade" other's work! mary

In my truck I carry several portfolios so as to share with those interested souls that I come across. Posting images online is the same thing, it's hard to share images with interested cyber souls which one might come across without benefit of a cyber portfolio:)

<a href="http://www.keithlaban.co.uk">Keith Laban Photography</a><p>Why do I show my images online? Well, mostly for the same reasons that I show them anywhere else. To communicate, to share, to inform, to attract criticism, to attract praise, to sell images for publication, to sell prints, but above all else to reach out to a huge and diverse audience.<p>Having my images online on my own website and a few other sites has on the whole been a positive and rewarding experience.

I show my images online as a way to get feedback about the images. It is also very convienient to have them online. For example if I go to a friends house and they have internet conection it is very easy to show them some pics. I am not a member of any photographic clubs so this is a good place to speak with other people with similar interests. I would guess that for many a place in the top photos is reason enough for posting images. I would also guess that many who post images would really like to exhibit their work in galleries but they either don't know where to start or they know as I know that most of the work is just not interesting enough for a gallery so like me they are content with uploading to websites to get some feadback or ideas.

You have peaked my interest about your work.

And, to stay on topic, that is what often happens when reading posts in the forums. Aside from not knowing how to upload images, I am at a loss as to why many do not occasionally include an image with their words in conversation.

One would assume that if anyone knew the ability of images to speak louder than words it would be a photographer.

Bob has mentioned that he has no interest in being criticized which I can understand, but in the w/nw threads there is little criticism.

There are many that obviously now how to use a computer, and have the needed equipment to post but don't...so...

... is it just for the fun of grading but not being graded?

Is it because these images are too important to the individual to be trivialized by faceless names on in the ethereal internet?

I have also heard the excuse of theft. Is that something that bothers anyone? ....;)....J

Actually I don't have a lot of images that I think are worth showing. But apart than that, it is a practical matter for me.

I only shoot film. I don't have a scanner. I need a medium format scanner which costs nearly $2,000 which I can't afford.

I can bring prints to the office, scan them on the flat bed and correct them in P-shop (which I'm not good at). I can pay extra to have a CD of scans made when I get my film developed. The CD images are much higher resolution than is required for uploading, so I have to put in more time and work to modify them.

Okay. Now that I answered, Jay, here's my question: Why do we comment/rate online?

Altruistic, true intention to help? Boredom? Revenge/reward? Mutually asking for comments/rates on my own photos? Compensation for a subordonated, nobody-cares-about-my-oppinion "real life"? Gathering attention? Intellectual show-off? Or a healthy mixture of all these?

I upload because I never sure which of my pictures are good and which are bad. A lot of people will have a favorite "snap" because of the day, the people etc and know it is not a good picture. And sometimes I work hard to get a picture and I'm so attached to it that I can't see it's rubbish. So it does my ego (which is more fragile than you'd think from my postings) good to find that most of the pictures I think are good are rated well by others. It's proved I'm not a great judge of my own work, but I'm not as bad as I thought I was.

ab32) to see you trough the cristal of my photos...

jk77) cause they want to be shared and im nothing to stop their will...

jujj3) to make some people not to feel alone...

ssde) to meet interesting minds...

I upload images with some of my posts as examples of the subject under discussion, but recently deleted all of the images in my portfolio here for a few reasons; first, the scans were bad and didn't represent the prints. Second, there was no reason for me to have an online portfolio in the first place. While many of the comments made by viewers were generous and encouraging, most were useless, and a few were just mean spirited. The rating system is completely useless, and a bit childish. So I'll share the ocassional image to make a point, or show an example, but the portfolio is no more.

I post photos to learn. That's why I NEVER post my best photos, I already know they are great and nobody can convince me otherwise. Instead, I post work that could use improvement, but I am not sure in which direction.

I am not looking for compliments. I am a beginner with a lot of things to learn. Too many beginners seek instant gratification posting their amatuer shots all over the web and expect the experts to love it.

>>Allen Herbert , may 20, 2004; 05:46 p.m.

Of coarse, the real answer, is because we want to. So, lets cut the crap.<<

Allen that is no answere at all. The inference of show/not show is want/not want. Why do you want/not want you images to be seen?

....;)....J