Why do Trinitron monitors have two lines?

I just picked up my new Sony Trinitron monitor I noticed two hair

thin line running horizontally accross the screen at about 1/3 and

2/3. I rushed back to Circuit City and saw these same two lines on

their display monitors. A salesman told me this is just the way

Trinitrons are manufactured and I would get used to it. The Sony is

still the sharpest by far and I guess I will have to learn to live

with it. Anyone else noticed this?

Trinitron screens use a very fine vertical grill instead of a grid of small dots. The wires stabilize the grill. Because they use a grill, they tend to be both sharper and brighter than other monitors. So it's a good tradeoff.

Interestingly, my monitor took a really big shock one day when I dropped something on it - and two of the vertical gill wires were shifted out of position and stuck together in the middle of the screen. It made a noticeable aberration. Luckily after it warmed up a bit they unstuck themselves!

Here's a funny story---the night I bought MY Trinitron monitor about four years ago, at CC, by coincidence, I noticed those two lines, also. I immediately thought to return the monitor as "defective", but since it was a twenty mile drive, I decided to LOOK IT UP IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL. Lo and behold, there was an explanation. I wonder why Sony stopped including that information?

• 4 months later...
I find the lines annoying, especially when I'm editing photo's. Often my scans from slides and negatives contain tiny scratch lines that run horizontally, sometimes I'm fooled into thinking the grill lines are scratches in my scans. The quality of the display is excellent at 1280x1024; however, I prefer to work at 1600x1200 and found that my display had a strange pattern through it when looking at text, some text was light and fuzzy while other was sharp and black. I use my display at 1280x1024 now and there is no unusual display characteristics other than the grill lines.