Why do Canon LCD's bleed so easily?

mark_stephan2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of dozen Canon cameras with LCD displays, from the FD series to the EOS, and none (as in NOT ONE) of them show any trace of bleeding. Where are you seeing all these bloody cameras??

My T90 has the mirror magnet problem but the LCD display is fresh as new.

Bleeding of LCD screens in any camera can readily be attributed to prolonged storage (rather than use) in very high temperatures where recovery of the LCD matrix is permanently hindered by damage rendered. That fact you are coming across so many may point to other causes not immediately obvious (and thus, Buyer Beware). Many devices do suffer LCD bleed (coffee machines are one), not just cameras or data backs!

I have used Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Hasselblad cameras for more than three decades with not a single case of LCD bleed. But I experienced it with a Ricoh GR1 way back in 1999 (repaired under warranty). Cars with digital LCD speedometer readouts left in the sun, and indeed struck by very hot sun repeatedly, can also develop bleed. A little education and caution goes a long way!

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans

I've never had this problem with a camera. It isn't just Canons, btw. The Nikon F4 is often criticized for having this problem. Thankfully, mine doesn't have it. Neither does my T90 (but it doesn't have the command back) or my T70-- or my EOS Elan IIe, fo that matter. Or my Nikon N80. I also have a Pentax Super Program that has a small LCD panel that doesn't show any bleed.

The only device I own that has had an LCD bleed problem is a Sharp calculator I bought new back in 1980. It was a gradual problem, but it eventually went completey dark a few years ago. Too bad, I've always liked that calculator. I see copies on eBay from time to time that do not have this bleed problem. So I wonder about storage. As it so happens, I kept it out in my shop, which is frequently NOT air conditioned, for years (I live in Houston, and it does get hot here during the summer). Perhaps the high temperatures it encountered out there contributed to the problem in a major way?

Edited by mwmcbroom