Why can't someone fab the Mamiya 6 winder parts?

david_carson

I'm wondering why someone can't fabricate the Mamiya 6 winder parts? RE: the parts that

break, and Mamiya (I hear on this forum) doesn't have any extras.

I'm guess the parts wouldn't be cost effective for someone to make from scratch. But hey,

maybe someone who is intimately familiar with the parts in question could tell us possible

solutions to the dearth of repair parts. Any repairmen out there?

For background: I'm considering the system for an upcoming trip, and I'm a Leica M user

who likes RFs.

Any mechanical parts can be made by a competent engineering workshop. I don't know what the cost would be -- maybe cheaper than you think. There might even be standard size parts that fit. Mamiya wouldn't build proprietary parts for a gearing system if they could get suitable components off the shelf.

No-one is going to mass-produce parts for the Mamiya 6 because it went out of production 8+ years ago and was never mass market anyway.

As you like RFs take a look at the Bronica RF645. It's well built and still available new within the price range that a secondhand Mamiya 6 would cost. You lose the square format, of course.

David,

They can. Usually the question is not "Why can't someone fabricate the Mamiya 6 winder parts?" but "Why can't someone fabricate the Mamiya 6 winder parts at a cost less than a significant fraction of the value of the camera or a similar used camera?"

Machine shops generally charge about $60 - $100 per hour, so by the time they measure, select materials, fabricate, test, and fit - and they won't have a drawing to work from - well, you see the problem.

If you love it, try Ken Ruth at Bald Mountain or S. K. Grimes.

http://www.baldmtn.com/

http://www.skgrimes.com

Steve

As with anything like this, the more people involved, the cheaper the price gets. If we

could get a few more 6 users to chip in, it would certainly be worth it. While I don't have a

problem with my 6 at the moment, it's only a matter of time. Understanding that, I would

certainly go in on having some parts made.

Just to add my 2 cents. I have a Mamiya 6 with 3 lenses and love the camera for many reasons. I find it reprehensible that some owners are faced with this winder problem and that I have to worry about it in a camera that is less than 10 years old. This camera is lauded by many in the photographic world as one of the best cameras ever. For Mamiya to let this happen is inexcusable. They should do whatever it takes to get these parts back in their service department so that the cameras can not only be fixed when necessary, but won't have the problem in the future. This gesture would go a long way towards increasing customer loyalty to the brand and the cost would be a drop in the bucket to Mamiya. Mamiya recently sent me a CD and promotional material to lure me into purchasing the 645afd system. While a very attractive camera system I hesitate to commit due to their history of support for the Mamiya 6 and it's loyal owners. I have a 30+ year old Hasselblad system that winds film just fine (even if you are rough with it) and if any part of the camera malfunctions I can get it repaired at a large number of locations. So please Mamiya, get it together for this camera and it's owners. You made one of the best cameras ever, don't let it quickly fade into history. Bob.

Exactly which parts are failing in the winder? Has anyone called the Mamiya parts department to find out if this is indeed fact?... or is this something your profesional repair guy told you so he can get a new addition put on his house? Maybe it's not a part failing, only an adjustment and your guy is milking you?... or worse, afraid of opening your camera because it's too much trouble?
The more you say, the less people listen.

Steve, thanks for the links.

Paul Ron...ahhh, I hope your comments weren't directed at me, as a careful reading of my

post makes it clear that I don't actually OWN the Mamiya 6. I'm just considering (as in

buying) the system for an upcoming trip.

Cheers,

Dave

David, I wrote a previous post that was probably no help with your decision but since then I've calmed down. Despite what some say on this forum and despite the winder problem (and I don't know if it is really a problem, there are no numbers indicating how prevalent this is) I really like my 6. I've had it for 5 years now and have had no problem with either the winder or the rangefinder or the 150mm lens focusing (that lens is my favorite). I also have the Mamiya 7II and there's a big difference between the 2 cameras. I like the square, you never have to turn the camera and my other system is a Hasselblad so I'm used to composing with squareness. The collapsing lens mount feature is a big plus, the camera is very easily carried because of this, and it locks in rock-solid when extended, both the 50mm and the 75mm are very small when collapsed into the camera and the 150 isn't too big either. For a MF, this is very discrete and quiet, similar to the Leica. Lenses, while incredibly sharp, are not as fast as Leica nor do they have the 'smoothness, oof or creamy bokeh' that Leica is known for, but the bokeh is not objectionable. All in all, great camera system, too bad there is perhaps some repair issue. I sent my 7II in recently for CLA and Mamiya sent it back within 8 days with rangefinder adjust and viewfinder cleaning and adjust and a note that said CLA unnecessary and no charge, serviced under warranty. This indicates to me that the company is service oriented and I wonder if the reported repair problems with the 6 are a little bit urban legend. I won't find that out until I have a problem with the 6. Hope this post helps you decide. Bob.

I wasn't trying to be a wise guy about the parts thing. It's just that i have seen this too many times where a repair shop says parts aren't available but yet they still are. The reapir shops like to fix your equipment for big bucks, a shortage of parts makes it a very expensive endevor. But as a pro you can afford that, you'll make it up in a few jobs.

I repair Mamiya RBs, something i learned to do 30 years ago when i couldn't afford to have a blood sucking pro work on my equipment. Now I buy broken RBs and find many were dumped because the repair shop said it couldn't be fixed or their price is just beyond the scope of the user. I have no problem finding parts nor do I ever find any real problems where parts were needed, unless they were physicaly damaged.

I have never worked on a 6 or a 7 but i am sure the story will be the same... call mamiya and see if parts are plenty, you'll be surprised. i may just go and learn the 6 n 7s now that you say they have a parts shortage and the market will be flooded with em.

BTW I don't see many complaints about winders on the 6... where did you hear that they have problems? i see most Mamiya users are very happy with their tanks. I love mine!

The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>Paul Ron,

<p>Maybe this will be a good line of business for you to be in. Check out this post on the

official Mamiya forum, in which a USA Mamiya guy says there are no more new parts being

made

<a href="http://www.macuserforums.com/webx?14@171.aPs4aLstibU.3@.1dce023e/

0">http://www.macuserforums.com/webx?14@171.aPs4aLstibU.3@.1dce023e/0</a>.

<p>Direct quote by Paul D'Ambrosio, Mamiya America Corp: "The decision to stop

production

was made by the factory in Japan. We only purchase the parts from them. The Mamiya 7

winding mechanism will not work in the Mamiya 6 body. If you would like to order parts

from us (and live in the U.S.) Please call our parts department at (914) 347-3300."

<p>Check out the follow-ups...it's too bad. There's got to be a easy way to fix them...it's

not

rocket science.