Why Canon?

fotografya

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time I switched to digital from a long discontinued film system, Canon had the best sensor tech. There are many more viable choices now so if I had to start over... who knows. The cameras also fit my hands well and the controls made sense, even if they aren't as fast as a nice old fashioned aperture ring on the lens.

Wanted to get an auto focus film camera lo those many years ago, saw a review of a Sigma 28-200 lens, shots looked very nice, liked the range, and the caption said it was shot with a Canon Rebel G.

Figured I'd check one out, liked it alright, and voila, I became a Canoneer.

Over the years, no competitor has shown me any compelling reason to change

I've been using Canon FD lenses on FD bodies (F-1N, T90, A-1) over the past few years and have been very happy with both the operability of the system and with the results. And the cost has been pretty good, too. I've amassed a collection of superb pro-level lenses and bodies that would be well out of financial reach for me with current EOS or Nikon gear.

Alas, however, the times they are a-changin', and I thought I'd better look ahead to the days when film becomes obsolete or prohibitively expensive. So as a segue into the EOS system, I recently picked up an immaculate EOS-3 body and an EF 50/1.4 lens. My plan is to acquire the successor to the 5D (since I'm used to shooting full frame), provided that it's within my reach.

So why EOS, you might ask, especially since my beautiful FD glass isn't compatible with it? The answer is that I've been very happy with the FD system, and figured that the EOS system offers comparable quality, range of lenses, and usability. To quote Bob Dylan again, what's the use of changing horses in midstream, especially if you're happy?

In the 80s I shot Nikon and Contax. When the EOS 1 came out, I switched and never looked back.

Look at all of the choices you've got in the EF Lens line-up. This Choice, This Choice or That Choice.

Look at what the 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D and what the 50D offer.

Probably the most important is the Fit and Finish of the Product. I've had only one lens in my 18 years of Canon

Shooting where a part came loose. It was the AF Switch on the EF 135 SF. But at that time the lens was 15 years old.

And, Canon repaired it for free. I call that a Company that stands behind their products.

Canon and Nikon are probably equal. I prefer Canon's lenses and the way the camera operates. They have a feel that

makes more sense for me.

I do prefer Nikons flash, the build of there camera bodies and how Nikon's AWB works but really I could flip a coin and be

happy with either Canon or Nikon.

I never tried Sony or others simply because of what I have heard of Canon/Nikon being the best. I guess I am a victim of

advertising to some degree but I never really care for any Sony products but there SLR's maybe just fine.

I shot with the Nikon film system and loved it. After I started to shoot Commercial work, the Nikon's sat and I eventually

sold them. When I went to digital, the Canon reviews were outstanding and I bought the 1D and never regretted it. The full

frame bodies, RAW files and the 85/1.2 leave me with no desire to go back. I do not need high ISO speeds, dedicated flash

with matrix metering or ten frames a second.

The red ring looks much more attractive than the yellow logo.

Just kidding, I started without much experience about DSLR and photography and Canon seemed to be easier to

understand when I did my research about the whole system. For example, EF lenses should fit and autofocus with

every EOS camera, EF-S for 1.6 crop and L is the pro line. On the other hands, Nikkor lens line up had both auto

and manual focus, and I just couldn't diffferentiate between AF, AF-S, G, D, and G IF. Of course, with little

experience about cameras, I look at the megapixel count as a benchmark for my purchase and clearly the 8 mpx

Canon Rebel Xt was "superior" than the Nikon D50 and Nikon D70, both at 6.1 mpx (the Xt was actually cheaper

than the D70). So there you go that's how I went with Canon.

I wanted a Nikon when I started on film way back in 1980, but I was a poor college student, and the Canon AT-1 was $100 +/- less than the Nikon. Fortunately Algore had not invented the internet, so I didn't have to spend hours reading others' opinions and reviews. I shot a 50 1.4 for years until I got a second lens. Never had a desire to switch to Nikon, didnt buy my first Eos film body until the system had been out a few years. In the beginning the eos lens system choices were limited, not the great selection like we have now. I've stuck with Canon, only "bad" experience was with a new 5d this year, in fact. When I got my first video camera 10 years ago, didn't really look at other brands than Canon, due to my still photography experience.

I, too, had a good sales pitch on Canon when I moved to digital, and I am happy with the results of the sales pitch. I

spent time reviewing cameras, and found Canon and Nikon overall equal with having a superior point here and there

over the other. My best firend uses NIkon with similar grades and styles of lenses, and we achieve simlar decent

results if we as photographers so what we need to do.

Canon's triple rebates and Dell used to offer some xx% off coupons made it more reasonable for an amateur to own a set of DSLR gears. But Canon never offers triple rebates again and Dell lhas listed Canon’s MSRP when offering xx% coupons since I switched from Nikon (film) to Canon. :-(

I'm thinking to move back to Nikon (D700 + 12-24 F2.8 + …) and to keep 5D+100-400mm (which is a great kit).