Why Cameras Break!

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by marc_bergman|1, Feb 13, 2018.

1. In their February 1968 issue Modern Photography talks to some expert repair persons about this subject.

Break 1 sm 2

Gus Lazzari likes this.
  2. Some interesting techniques and results from the photographer Kunie.

Cko 1 sm 2

3. Can you live without tilts and swings?

T&S 1 sm 2

Jochen likes this.
  4. Arthur Kramer writes about buying a larger enlarger.

KK 1 sm 2

5. Using lasers in lens testing is discussed in this month's Techniques Tomorrow column.

TT 1 sm 2

6. Here is this month's Too Hot to Handle column.

THTH 1 sm 2

7. Here are this month's Modern Tests.

MT 1 sm 2

8. Here they show the Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL camera which had both a spot and an average metering system.

Mamiya 1000 DTL 1 sm 2

9. Wow, this one really takes me back. Thanks for doing this.

Rick H.

10. James G. Dainis

James G. Dainis Moderator

Good article on swings and tilts. I always enjoyed playing around with them on my view cameras. (Can you say Scheimpflug principle?) Today it is a lot easier and perhaps better to correct parallel convergence in Photoshop.

11. Re Keppler: I have accumulated a lot of old zoom lenses in one way or another, and those that are from 1968 or earlier really required some serious compromises in return for their flexibility.

Thanks very much for presenting this series of posts...

12. Rick - Sometimes these magazines take me back to that time period. It is a strange feeling.

James - I have been looking lately at the Canon 24mm T/S lens. Too many other wide angle lenses have excess distortion and vignetting.

JDM - I wasn't too impressed with the zooms from this early period. They are too large and have substandard performance. I don't think I bought a zoom lens I was happy with until around 1980.