Why be a wedding photographer?

hassy501

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>"Wedding Photography" is short for a Wedding Photography Business.</p>

<p>Let's break that down:</p>

<p><strong>Wedding</strong> : People are dressed up, looking their best and that takes care of a lot of the glamour factor i nthe photogrpahs. And people are (generally) having a good time. Undeneath that it is a highly stressful event in a several dimensions (emotional, financial, family) for all of the principals involved, even if some of it is good stress. And the photographer essentially has one chance to get a whole lot of things right over a prolonged period of time - and a whole lot of chances to get a whole lot of things wrong.<br>

<strong>Photography:</strong> The fun part. As long as you can get the photos right, your gear doesn't fail you (or more likely you don't get sloppy and find yourself dealing with user error later -which often gets blamed on the gear) and deal with the conflicting needs of the various parties.<br>

<strong>Business:</strong> Most people seem to forget that last word in the full description. While important to you the photography may actually be the least important aspect of what you do as a wedding photographer. You have to continuously do an awful lot of marketing and sales work (and the selling job continues after the actual photography is done), and client "hand holding", personell management, as well as the other aspects of efficiently and profitably running a business.</p>

<p>I supect most people decide to do it because they realize they can't sing well enough to get that gig.</p>

<p>No, I think the real question is, "Why does anyone who actually knows what's involved <em>still</em> want to be a wedding photographer?"<br /><br />I certainly don't. It's far too stressful! There are just too many posts here that go something like, "The mother in law of my insane, non-paying bride customer is camped in my front yard with her cousin Ruprecht, who is a photographer, and who she wants to have me wrestle or knife-fight to the death as a way to settle the issue of whether my PJ style shots should be legal or not considering I had the nerve to charge $500 a measely 12 hours of work."</p>

<p>Why wouldn't you want to be a wedding photographer, it's a dream job. And, it's really easy to make tons of money. Heck, all wedding photographers do is walk around a wedding and snap a few shots. A sub-$500 Rebel with an 18-55 lens takes great pictures and all you have to do is set it on the green square. When you need flash, one pops right out of the camera. After the wedding, all you have to do it pop that 4gb card right into the computer and shazam, beautiful photos. Next you burn 'em onto cd, give them to the bride and cash the check. Or, if you want to make even more money, you post the photos on the web and instantly sell tons of reprints. What could be easier?</p>

<p>Getting business is easy too. All you have to do is tell a friend or two you have a DSLR and you want to shoot weddings. The next thing you know, your phone is ringing constantly with brides who want to hire you even though you charge crazy, exorbitant, obscene amounts of money.</p>

<p>If you offer albums, you can even make more easy money. Go to Mypublisher, upload a couple photos, click the mouse a few times and boom, instant album and more huge profits.</p>

<p>All those commercials on TV that talk about work from home with testimonials like, "I make $30,000 per month part-time," have nothing on wedding photographers. The people in those commercials have to work part-time while wedding photographers only have to work 6 or 8 hours a week. The rest of the time all they do is roll around on a pile of cash by the pool at their 25,000sf mansion while having their butlers bring them Crystal in between polishing the Ferrari and the Maybach.</p>

<p>On this bulletin board, all the "pseudo" pros that post things about contracts, marketing, equipment and dealing with the business of photography are just a bunch of whiners. The "real" pros know wedding photography is the easiest job in the world. The secret is getting out, that's why everyone wants to be a wedding photographer.</p>

<p>I'm interested because I can be a weekend warrior and people are in a good mood.<br>

If you think brides and their families are a picky try dealing with interior designers, which I have done in the past.<br>

It also seems like an opportunity because some of our competitors are not that good, and I think the affluent market is under-served.</p>

<p>It really depends on one's motivation.<br>

<br /> I do it so that I can buy more beer este gear. I don't want to do it for profit because by then it will become a job.<br>

<br /> I just love taking pictures. And by me not treating it as job means I can be very selective thus I can avoid the wedding-horror-stories that we see a lot in this forums.</p>

<p>given the choice between IT - which I have done for 25 years, and wedding photography which I've been doing for 5 years, I'd pick wedding photography anyday.</p>

<p>There is no more stress involved in weddings than there is in dealing with corporate fools<br>

You are in charge of what you deliver - no one else can blame you for their mistakes and vice versa<br>

You don't have to sit in an office for 8 hours dealing with fools<br>

You are trying to provide something to a client that they want - unlike in an office where you are dealing with corporate fools<br>

did i mention corporate fools?<br>

seriously, your clients are (usually) on the happiest day of their lives, the difficulties can be worked out if you know what you are doing, and if you are any good at business you can be successful and don't have to rely on anyone else</p>

<p>Now - why would you NOT want to be a photographer? Maybe brides in US are generally less nice than the ones we get in dear old Blighty (thats the UK if you didn't know)</p>

<p>"And, it's really easy to make tons of money."</p>

<p>"Getting business is easy too. All you have to do is tell a friend or two you have a DSLR and you want to shoot weddings."</p>

<p>Two horrible statements. No one should get into any job, because it makes lots of money. That's an insult to many of us (myself included) who do it for the love of photography and it's all we do.</p>

<p>Also, having a DSLR doesn't make you a photographer (I'm not going to get into that convo), but again it cuts into the pros and there's a lot of really bad wedding photography out there. No wonder there's always a ton of "HELP! I messed up!" posts here...</p>

<p>End of Rant...</p>

<p>I do it, because capturing the moment—whether it be weddings or PJ-work (I staff at a newspaper full-time) is my way of understanding life. The emotion captured in a still moment can help me see the world in the most real sense possible and no two days on the job are the same. God knows I don't do it for the money...</p>

<p>Nic - I know Josh very well. He is a passionate photographer and very talented. Matt was correct. Josh was being sarcastic. Not serious. </p>

<p>I'm sorry for you George. You seem to have a hard time with timing, and now bridzillas. Perhaps it's your market area? Can't figure it out. Personally, I adore 99 percent of my brides. Many have become friends. My job is to help them stay calm and make sure things go smoothly. </p>

<p>I've done commercial and wedding photography. I'll take an emotional bride over a corporate type any day. Plus you have so much more creative freedom with a wedding. And, you don't need a stylist - it's all there. The beauty, the natural emotions, the setting, everything.</p>

<p>Mary, would I be remiss in saying that all of your weddings are at the Ritz ? Not all brides are bridezillas, but i've had my share. I guess that comes with being in the business for so long.<br>

Burnout ? Probably.<br>

Money is decent. I have high standards and I'm way too picky with my images. I spend way too much time on editing and post production. I just can't release images until they are perfect, in my eyes.<br>

And that really cuts into my profitability timewise. I love being the "owner" and 90 percent of the time the rewards overshadow the negatives. <br>

Just how long can one continue to shoot weddings without losing "it" ? Not the skills but the inspiration ?</p>

<p>You really have to enjoy weddings to be a wedding photographer. Everything else is just what you make of it.<br>

Weddings are hard work, but give you a lot of opportunity to express yourself. You also should really like people. That job won't be effective for you if you don't.</p>

<p>Lou</p>

<p>I have just recently picked up a camera for some serious photography, ( I guess you would call me a pro wanna be) but I have dealt with weddings for 12 years in a reception hall as a host. I do not know why anyone would want to undergo the torture of working with crazy brides and their families. Notice I say brides and not grooms, (in 12 years I think I had one groom complain about something, and i think it was about the selection of beer.) Never the less, the wedding day for the bride is an excuse to be mean, tormenting, and torturous. With all that I had to endure with catering to these crazy brides, I swore I would never shoot a wedding. I have not so far. No plans in the near future.</p>

<p>Interesting to hear from a different wedding vendor and their actual experience with brides. Thank you for the insight Tom.</p>

<p>SP, I originally posted "Why does everyone want to be a wedding photographer". The title was ameded by the moderators. Why, I don't know. It sure changed the meaning of what I was trying to get across.<br>

Once again, why does EVERYONE want to be a wedding photographer ? My take on it is that they think it's an easy way to make some easy money. Little do they know. <br>

I guess if one maintains a low end business model it's easy, but if you want to make the big bucks it takes a lot of work and sacrifice of personal time. The photography part is just a small percentage of the actual profession.</p>