Why are you still using film camera?

christopher_diao1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I am a bit put off by constant changes in the digital world. However, I think that the situation has stabilized and the digital technology is mature enough now...so the next thing on my shopping list is 1DMkII ;)

They feel good in my hand.

They are cheaper than DSLRs. (can't afford 3 of these yet)

Some should be better (5x7" monorails...)

I can print b&w at home. - I have no computer printer, not even the crappiest Inkjet.

My fridge isn't emptyed.

Because:

Sometimes I need two bodies (with different lenses, no time to change) and a backup body with good viewfinders and great ergonomics, like in 2 x D2X = $10,000, which I cannot afford.

I want a DSLR with KM's antishake, Olympus' antidust, a good viewfinder, good ergonomics, weather sealing and the best sensor. All in one body please.

I haven't found a DSLR that makes me take better pictures yet, allthough the technical quality is sometimes superior.

Nothing can beat the feeling of receiving a bunch of photos you haven't seen before from the lab.

I spend too much time with my computers already.

They do the printing, I do the shooting (Not 100% true. I will start to print BW myself now, the good, old-fashioned way.).

--

Still, I will probably buy an E-1 within a month or two and follow up with the new Olympus pro camera when it arrives. Nobody else can cover my needs with 3 zooms and a macro, and the body is very cheap now for what you get. I think I can buy a new car from what I save not buying the Nikon or Canon pro-bodies and glass. KM was a strong contender, but no antidust, no weather-sealing and hard to find lenses (in Thailand, that is).

For me it is a question of economics. My film cameras are all Contax (because I like the Zeiss lenses) so, I am not scared of spending money on cameras and lenses. The build quality of the Contax cameras is exceptional...clearly the finest cameras that I have ever held.

When I hold the latest digital SLRs, they don't come up to that standard and so...dollar for dollar...I am still getting more camera by sticking with film SLRs. By spending the same money, I can get a better camera with film than I would be able with digital.

It isn't that I don't use digital. I have a digital point and shoot (the Sony V3) but, frankly, it doesn't come close to my old Yashica T4 and certainly nowhere near the Contax T3.

For example, the V3 is one of the most responsive digital P&S cameras with a very fast 'shutter lag' (@11/1000th of a sec) but it is incredibly slow compared to my film cameras.

So, I am still getting more 'camera' for my money with film than I can get with digital which is why I still use film.

1.I like to have something permanent that I can pull of the shelf anywhere, anytime and look at. No computer.

2. I love the look of color slides. Computer images and kiosk prints of digital files don't look as good to me- at least mine don't. I don't like computers that much and don't have the interest in learning Photoshop right now.

3. I want to master film- get to the point where I really know my media and cameras and can make images without worrying about exposure and how the color will look. Right now digital with its immediate feedback and post-processing is more of a crutch than an aid to me.

4. I don't make too many prints- only my very best for hanging. The rest of my slides are in my album for future slide shows or just for memory's sake. But I do look at them frequently. My digital files on CD are really kind of forgotten, tucked away in a CD album. I rarely look at them. If they're not printed they might as well not exist.

5.I hate having mixed media. It's easy to put either a computer slide show or a conventional one, but when I have both digital and slides I an stuck with computer shows only, having to scan the slides. I can't show the digital photos on a conventional projector. So, the projects that I care about the most have to be one or the other, and I choose film.

6.I don't like the crop factor of digital. It really bugs me.

7.I hate the cheap entry level D70 body and viewfinder compared to my M6 and F100 which cost the same. Part of what I enjoy photography for is using high quality gear. But I won't pay 3 times the price to get the quality I've got now, just for a digital version.

I like manual control, metal cameras and slides, and since I am 100% amateur I am my own boss and can do just what I like without having to weigh the demands of publication, time or budget.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that cheapness and stubbornness are my main criteria here. If I were starting out from scratch, I'd seriously consider going digital, but I'm not.

I can change(upgrade or downgrade) the "CCDs" of film cameras at will on my own and are very economical to do so anytime anywhere. I have a great choice of "CCDs" to choose from from photo stores. I do not have to buy a new camera everytime a new and better CCD is produced.

My film cameras do not use batteries except if I want the light meters to work. I save a substancial amount of money not having to spend on disposable or rechargeable batteries.

I enjoy viewing projected slide film on walls or screens. They have a 3-D effect and it looks very close to real, a quality not surpassed by any current technology yet.

Film cameras cost less than digital cameras. Over where I live, a top end digital SLR body can buy you many very good film SLR bodies(as many as up to 10 or probably 15 or more depending on brand).

If my life depended on getting SOME kind of usable image every time I opened the shutter, I'd only use digital. But there's something very cool about making a one-of-a-kind image on film; so for fun I usually choose film. And there are SO many great old film cameras that can be bought so cheaply now, I'd feel like I was missing out on something if I didn't buy & use some of them.

Personally, I don't want to have to save up all that money to buy a digital body that will be obsolete in a couple of years (and probably quit working as soon as the warranty runs out) when I can spend the same amount of money on quality lenses that will last for years.