why am I getting this grain

<p>I shot this on my Mamiya rz67 with the Sekor c 180mm lens tody and I just started to scan the roll and I am getting a lot of this shape grain. I dont mind grain but this is much larger than what id like. It was quite bright and I was using tri-x 400. Is it my agitation or something else do you think.</p>

<p>It looks like reticulation, which is usually caused by an abrupt temperature change in processing or washing. Make sure that your wash temperature is close to your processing temperature--not exactly the same, but within 5 degrees F.</p>

<p>What Andrew and John said.</p>

<p>What I do about it is I have 2 20l spigoted water jugs (Walmart or wherever) filled with tap water, hanging around my development area. It keeps the water at the same temp as my developers. I use this for wash and mixing of one-shot stuff. </p>

<p>I keep club soda bottles filled with water. In the winter, my darkroom gets below 60F or 15C.</p>

<p>As far as I know, reticulation occurs when going from a warm bath to cold, not so much </p>

<p>After fix, I fill the tank with water at close to fix temperature, and then put the tank under the sink, with the water on low. If the temperature is different, it will slowly (enough) mix with the water in the tank. </p>

-- glen

I think my problem came from running the water out of

the tap after it was fixed and not checking to make sure

it was close enough to the right temp. I just sort of know

where about my knobs need to be to get a close temp

but I think someone ran our dish washer which used up

the hot water. I will get some jugs though that's a good

idea.

<p>Hello everyone. K.I.S.S. is a great idea. Left panel shows my Igloo developing set up. Cold or hot water to set temps if needed. Enough liquids for (2) 135-36 or one 120 roll. Right panel shows my Igloo set up for lugging the RB-67 cameras around. One per Igloo and they survive commercial flights to Hawaii every year. Aloha, Bill</p><div>00eJxr-567394684.jpg.6d74c0cfb9622034e179755874f990bc.jpg</div>

<p>"That looks like reticulation - caused by thermal shock to the emulsion, when its soft."<br>

Think he nailed it.<br>

Keep everything the same temperature to the 1/2 degree even the washing. <br>

If you haven't already tried it, try a roll of TMY400 in TMax developer, it has no grain compared to TX.</p>