whose the best photographer so far

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by eddyfernandez, Jun 24, 2019.

1. whose the best photographer so far

2. In your home town? In your native country? in the entire world? on Photo.net?

akocurek likes this.
  3. The guy who took my parents’ wedding picture, Brooklyn, 1946.

michaellinder and Jochen like this.
  4. For his combination of technical prowess and ability to print images that convey strong emotions, I would start with Adams (let the rain begin) but I would put Weston right there. After that, I'm not sure who stands out in their particular area of photography enough to be considered the "best-of-all" . . .

Cartier-Bresson? Avadon? While I love the work of Weegee and Capa, the work is technically inferior to gain "top" billing. I love Michael Kenna's work. I love Duane Michal's sense of humor. Irving Penn? Stieglitz was one of the most influential. Frederick Evans?

I'm not into the more modern trends . . . I can't stand the work of Adam Fuss or some others who's names escape me right now.

michaellinder and akocurek like this.
  5. I'm sure it's me:)

6. There does seem to be a lot of that going around. ;)

I don't know if he's the very worst - he had a strong sense of composition, great technical control, etc .- but William Mortensen is one whose images often leave me cringing.
    o_O

michaellinder likes this.
  7. Me, too. One of the reasons I find him worthwhile ...

8. Me.

End of discussion.

9. I love confidence! :)

To answer the OP's question, I suppose it depends in which field. I suppose I do have names I could submit in each category, so here are my candidates so far:

Performing arts: Matt Humphrey

Journalism: Eisenstadt (or Capa or Walker Evans or...)

Fashion: Horst

Sport: I don't know, nobody seems to stand out, unfortunately

Nature: Too many good ones, nobody stands out above the rest

Landscape: Ansel Adams

Street: Fred Herzog

Industrial: Feininger (although he is undefinable)

The problem is that many of these answers might change next week!

10. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Surprised no-one has mentioned O. Winston Link - and in the UK, Ivo Peters, Colin Gifford and Eric Hosking.

11. kendunton

kendunton Edinburgh

12. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

I thought he was enquiring about ownership.

ajkocu and Roger G like this.
  13. Don't know the answer but in our house I may come second.

ericphelps and michaellinder like this.
  14. It's like asking, "What's the best food?" Depends on the mood I'm in and the subject area. W. Eugene Smith has always been one of my favorites. Hurrell did some darn fine portraits. Disfarmer can be a bit repetitive, but I like those too. Burk Uzzle is worth a look. Definitely Karsh. Helmut Newton- or maybe I just like some of his models. Atget is required viewing, as is Brassai. One could go on for hours.

15. kendunton

kendunton Edinburgh

16. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

Greatest comedy routine of all time!

17. Living ? Salgado. From Other Americas to Genesis I don't think anyone else has sustained that quality of vision for that length of time.

tholte likes this.
  18. Is this a trolling question? I'm surprised you all answered. The "best" (there is no such person) and the most famous do not necessarily coincide.