Who Replaces Mirror Foam on Nikon Film Cameras?

Vincent Peri

I have a Nikon FA that needs mirror foam installed. Who replaces mirror foam?

Years ago, I sent several cameras to a nice lady repair person to have mirror foam installed, and she did a professional job. Anyone know who she might be? I think she has an ebay user name of "marmot" something or other, but when I search ebay for sellers, "marmot" doesn't show up for me.

Thanks for any help/recommendations.

It's not a terrible DIY job. A bit of lighter fluid and a toothpick will the old off. Foam of the appropriate thickness can then be cut and applied, or you can buy pre-cut foam. Jon Goodman, email address jon_goodman AT yahoo.com , sells complete foam kits for almost any common camera you can think of all pre-cut to the correct dimensions and of the correct thickness, along with excellent easy to follow instructions.

I’ve owned several FAs over the years, all working. I don’t know why everybody is so negative about this camera.

Foam replacement is easy to do yourself.

I have two 5" long strips of foam that I got from England on ebay. However, when I pressed it into position, it compressed under finger pressure and would never line up properly. It looked a mess!

I've had it with DIY foaming.

Hmm... Vincent is foaming

at the mouth...

http://bayouline.com/o2.gif

I have two 5" long strips of foam that I got from England on ebay. However, when I pressed it into position, it compressed under finger pressure and would never line up properly. It looked a mess!

One of the tricks that Jon Goodman stresses in his how-to, and that I've used, is to lick the sticky side of the foam before putting it in place. This deactivates the adhesive for a few minutes and lets you work the foam into place. It will then stick when it dries.

I've also used Jon's kits and still have some ~15 year old foam and a copy of his booklet 'A Light Seal Odyssey' (I think it was called). Good to know he's still around and another vote of confidence from me.

I think I bought a generic kit rather than a camera specific one and resealed a bunch of cameras, from memory, a Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT 101, various Zenits and likely some Konicas.

I’ve owned several FAs over the years, all working. I don’t know why everybody is so negative about this camera.

Even Nikon themselves were negative about it. Its short 4 year production time bears witness to that.

The first release of the camera had a 'honeycomb' pattern shutter that was extremely prone to failure, and was quickly re-designed by Nikon. Even after that the camera continued to be dogged with numerous complaints of unreliability and unrepairable failures.

• Like 1

Even Nikon themselves were negative about it. Its short 4 year production time bears witness to that.

The first release of the camera had a 'honeycomb' pattern shutter that was extremely prone to failure, and was quickly re-designed by Nikon. Even after that the camera continued to be dogged with numerous complaints of unreliability and unrepairable failures.

Didn't the early versions of the FM2n's have the same honeycomb shutter to begin with, which eventually became a more conventional metal blade arrangement eventually?

The FM2n I bought in 1985 has the honeycomb shutter and is still going strong. I have 2 more one with honeycomb shutter and one with a smooth balded shutter. The honeycomb shutters are made of titanium and the smooth shutters are aluminum. The only problem with reliability was when I doped it.
  • Like 1

The FM2n I bought in 1985 has the honeycomb shutter and is still going strong. I have 2 more one with honeycomb shutter and one with a smooth balded shutter. The honeycomb shutters are made of titanium and the smooth shutters are aluminum. The only problem with reliability was when I doped it.

As far as foam I had it replaced in the mid 1990s on the FM2n purchased new in 1985.

I have a mix of honeycomb and conventional shutters on FM2ns and I think FE2s. The honeycombs have never given me trouble.

I seem to remember that the FA shutter issue was eventually tracked down to the solenoids that release the blinds, not the blinds themselves. Whatever the cause, the FA didn't get off to a good start and just went downhill from then on.