Who make a lightbox with good color balance?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by invisibleflash, Jul 27, 2021.

1. I don't need a monster, maybe 11 x 14 or so. But color must be true. I got 2 cheap light boxes and color is off on both of them. One is half-ass pretty good, but still needs color correcting. I'll be shooting color chromes on it.

Thanks

2. these days, finding a "true-color" light source is pretty hard.

See where you get in processing with white eyedropper on the lightest and the black eyedropper on the darkest. That can actually get you pretty close

3. invisibleflash likes this.
  4. Note that I don't use the Kaiser to copy slides. I use a flat bed scanner for that purpose. But I was curious about the light ratings so I tested mine.

5. I can do it more or less with post. Just looking to do better without work if I can.

6. If you have a calibrated monitor, you already have a true-white light box. Just show a 255, 255, 255 RGB blank image on it.

And which 'white' do you want? D50? D65? A compromise D60?

7. I use a Lumicube 3x5" LED panel in conjunction with a Nikon ES-2 slide holder. The Lumecube color is adjustable between 3200 and 5600K, and has a CRI (accuracy) index of 96%. There are many larger high CRI LED light panels. There must be an inch or two space between the light and a diffusing panel to avoid hot spots from individual lamp elements.