Hi everyone,

So this might be a really stupid question...But I was wondering if you let the

client keep the proof books when everything is done, or do I keep it and use it

as a sample for my next client?

Please help me I am at a loss! I don't know what the right thing to do is and I

don't want to make anybody upset.

Thank You,

Heather Rene'

"The client paid fot it, it's theirs." -- not necessarily. Using the same logic, the client would

be entitled to all the images (good, bad and ugly) including the high-res files, etc., etc.

Unless specifically set out in the contract or price list, I wouldn't assume it is theirs.

Just offering another opinion, not suggesting anyone is wrong.

If it were me, I'd give them the proof book when I delivered the album. But, I may have pulled

some as Ronald suggested, so the book may have some holes.

I use online proofing and if they want all the images, they can purchase them. Back in the day, if the couple produced a high enough reprint sales amount many studios would give them the proofs. The studios would also charge an expensive premium for proof books that were late or not returned. There isn't any need to cull images from the book, that should be done prior to presenting them to the clients. The proofbook is a product.

I only distribute products to my clients. If they get something physical in their hands that means they paid for it and they get to keep it. If they buy a proofbook they get to keep it. If they buy a stack of proofs they get to keep them. My SOP is online proofing which is included in my prices. Anything in addition costs extra, but they get to keep whatever they choose to buy.

You need to think about the proof book in relation to how you structure your offerings/packages. Here's an example. Keeping in mind that your goal is to make money, if you give the client the proof book and no image files, hoping to make a profit from print sales, you are damaging your opportunities for print sales because many clients will be happy with the proof book and not order anything else.

In the past, using film, a proof book was not given to the client to keep. It remained the property of the photographer and was retrieved after the client made their selections. The emphasis was on album and print sales. Today, with image files often given to the client, it is less important to keep the proof book out of the client's hands, although client inertia in ordering albums and prints is still the same--extremely slow.

Heather - this is one of those 'business 101' questions that you should have answered before you signed the client. What does your contract say? Go by the contract. If the contract doesn't say anything, what did you tell your client? If nothing, what did you hint at?

I suggest letting the client keep it - I don't like any business model where someone gets to see an image but not a print of it. It's good advertising for you if your images are good.

• 5 months later...

There has been some recent discussion about people never getting any prints when they get a CD.

This hurts you because your work may not get seen.

I think it would be a good idea for your package to include a large selection of pictures in a color-corrected proof book with your website for the wedding included on a title page. For example, I shot about 750 images at a recent wedding, and 200 will go into the proof book- as many people as possible but leaving out bad or redundant images.

Then make the pictures available on line at an attractive price with your website on each image- not too bold, but enough to be read. That is cheap advertising for you.