Who is buying a new Rolleiflex TLR

benny_spinoza

<p>It amazes me that Rolleiflex TLRs are still made, and that they are apparently selling well enough for there recently to be a newer version made with closer focusing. But who buys these things? Japanese collectors? If I had money to burn, I would love to have one. Just curious...has anyone out there reading this silly post actually bought a new one lately?</p>

<p>Hi Benny...<br>

I'm not a Japanese, and I'm not a collector...but I'm found of Rolleiflex TLRs. Why ? Because these cameras have all I need to take some nice pictures. I own a Rolleiflex T (type 2) and the Tessar lens is fantastic ! Very sharped, really ! The camera is not bulky, and it's a real pleasure to do a photographic walk with it. I bought mine in second hand for 950$ and I'm very happy with it.<br>

And more... Each time I'm doing some pictures in the street, a lot of people ask me :" what'is this ?"" is it a new camera ?"" is it a digital camera ?" "You have a nice camera",and so on...So, with a Rolleiflex, you don't practice photography in the same way that with a digital DSLR....No. Definitively no ! First, it's not agressive, you don't SHOT at the others, your head is bowed to look at the focusing screen. Second, as a photographer, you're OK with all the persons in a street and you explain how you "take" a picture. People are so curious ! And today, a Rolleiflex is not an UFO but an UPO !<br>

And no batteries, no card, no heavy lenses...Just this dead cert : when you need it, your Rolleiflex TLR is always ready !</p>

<p>In 2011, out of curiosity, I emailed DHW Fototechnik and they told me a Rolleiflex 2.8 FX could be bought directly from the company for €4199 including VAT.</p><p>I don't know who buys new models, and I don't know how many are made every year. Buying a used TLR, you can't be 100% sure the body was not previously mishandled and possibly has unseen damage. There's also the issue of aging lenses and inaccurate or non-functioning meters. A used TLR may require servicing before it can even be used. If price is not so much an issue, buying new takes all that out of the equation, and you additionally get modern TTL metering.</p>

<p>"First, it's not aggressive..." Hmmm, I once witnessed a Rollei shooter told in no uncertain terms to get his camera out of an unwilling subject's face; or else!</p>

<p>Meanwhile my little digital zoom compact with shutter sound turned off and LCD screen twisted round allowed me to take the scene sideways and from a distance with no such threat. I've often used little digitals to photograph candidly in pubs, coffee shops, etc. without drawing any attention to myself - curious, friendly or otherwise.</p>

My first TLR was a YashicaMat 124G with dubious lens quality, but I loved the format

and layout... until I wore it out a couple years later. If I had the money, I would buy

one in a heartbeat. On a side note, one of my favorite books on the Rolleiflex is of

Sammy Davis Jrs book of photographs. He loved to shoot with his Rolleiflex. Ive considered buying a used one because of the simple layout and sharp lens, but havent felt it gives me anything more than a 500cm with 80mm film. The book it totally worth adding to your library. But then I guess he could afford one.

<p>Within the present day restraints of TLR photography it is no doubt a magnificent machine, akin to a large format Deardorff, Arca-Swiss, Linhof-Technica or Leica MP, but is it justifiable for black and white or color photography when modern MF film cameras are available new or used, more versatile in use (other than portraiture, perhaps) and at similar or considerably lower cost? Maybe a Rollei will last longer and work more precisely, if that is really important and you happen to be in your twenties or thirties, but I think that 95% or more of the ultimate TLR experience and image quality can be had with a well-preserved and considerably less costly Autocord or Mamiya TLR. And they also soldier on with minimum service, if that is important.</p>

<p>Sorry if my response appears like a small rant. I do like sheer quality which is also part of the appeal of a Ferrari or Porsche 918, but not at any price and will accept the reliability and driveability of a simple BMW, Ford or Subaru.</p>

<p>I bought a new FX a few years ago from B&H but you can buy them now from Rolleiflex.US for a little cheaper than you are saying I think:<br>

http://rolleiflex.us/collections/rollei-tlrs-and-accessories</p>

<p>I have both a very late 2.8F and the FX. From a user standpoint having owned and used my FX awhile I do much prefer it to the older F. It isn't the optical difference so much though the FX has less tendency to flare, it is more just handling it. Even though I have had a recent service from Fleenor on the F the FX film transport is much easier and the focus is much easier and I prefer not to use the auto feeler which was dumped for the FX. I like the feel of a new camera. It is a lot of money but not when you compare other new cameras of high quality with a lens. You get a very high quality lens with that Rollei price and you don't need a film back. It is in affect the very best range finder type camera with the range finder having a lens that is focusable and sees the exact same image as the taking lens. </p>

<p>If a well-fixed lady can spend $15,000 for a purse, why can't a well-heeled gent spend a few thou for a classic camera? Classic cameras are dirt cheap as compared to classic automobiles although in these sad days you can get an original Tucker Torpedo for $800,000. That sum that would buy a room full of Rolleis, Leicas and so on.</p>

<p>Tucker Torpedo sounds like a 1960 brassiere. Am I right? I guess some people will collect anything!</p>

<p>IMHO; the sweet spot in performance versus price is (i) get an 'original' Rolleiflex with a Planar or Xenotar, and (ii) get a good ($$$$) overhaul from someone like Mr Fleenor. You should be able to do that for under a grand, and you can spend the 5k you'll save on processing, women, and substance abuse. </p>

<p>Hey. Or vintage foundation garments, if that's your thing.</p>

<p>O.K. So I count just one response in which a new Rolleiflex was bought new in the last several years! So do I need a Tucker Torpedo to hold the Rolleiflex? Just curious. So lets see....about 5.5 grand for a new Rolleiflex, and don't forget the 15K hasselblad flextight scanner to scan the 120 film. Hey, that's not much more than some digital heads have wasted on their digital cameras, only to replace them every other year for the lastest and greatest. I have a 1957 YashicaMat that still works, but when I want to use film, I get out the Hasselblad. Better image quality than the YashicaMat, but the YaschicaMat is still pretty good. Ah, but a new Rolleiflex, what a beautiful machine that is.</p>

<p>I have Rolleiflex E. Got it last summer from KEH and never been happier with the purchase. I would buy a brand new one in a heartbeat if I have extra disposable dollars and I would not regret it for a sec. Unlike Tucker Torpedo that did fill the promise (this darn thing never had helicopter engine) Rolleiflex always delivered and unlike Testarossa it does not need to be insured</p>

<p>The obvious answer to the question of who buys <strong><em>new</em></strong> Rolleiflexes is "trendy people with large discretionary incomes".</p>

<p>Aside from that, there are lots of good TLRs out there, some for very low prices on eBay.</p>

<p>And not only old Rolleis -<br>

My two TLRs are an East German Weltaflex and a West German Ikoflex.</p><div>00cFo6-544364284.jpg.f63f0cbce8230b44033abfc4c4e40605.jpg</div>

<p>"<em>The obvious answer to the question of who buys <strong>new</strong> Rolleiflexes is "trendy people with large discretionary incomes</em>".</p>

<p>That might be true but as the only person so far in this thread that has bought one I can say that is definitely not me. I am well below the poverty line and have no health insurance but I found a way to finally get the FX. I have used Rolleis since the mid 1970s and have traded up many times, starting with a T and going through Es and 3,5Fs and a few 2,8Fs. I have been lucky to always sell for more than I paid.. that is the good thing about Rolleis. I paid 3000 for my new FX and I could get most of that back if I had to. <br>

Dennis</p>

<p>I started my us dealership expecting mostly to sell the Hy6 Mod2 cameras but the TLR sales are keeping pace which is a pleasant surprise. (Dennis, thanks for posting the link) <br>

I think a lot of the new sales of TLR's are in the FW since you can't find the wide version for sale easily, and of course you can't buy an older close focus version so the FX-N is in new territory. Definitely these cameras last a lifetime and there are quite a lot of excellently usable older Rolleiflex's out there, but rather than hurt sales I think that helps since people have come to know and love them over the years. I have my own FW, but also use a 2.8F form the 60's. The really great thing about the new models is that they have ttl flash metering and I do like the electronic exposure metering as well. </p>

<p>Thanks for all the great posts. I was afraid that someone would accuse me of being a troll! When you think about it, the TRL design is brilliant. Maybe someday, when I am retired, and provided C41 film is still made, I will buy a new one. Hey...one can always dream. And Eric...glad to hear TLR sales are keeping pace with the Hy6. Hope your business grows!</p>

<p>Steve, an impressive list of current offerings, with only a few omissions (Arca Swiss, Cambo and a few other 120 film cameras with lens stage movements). The bargain there seems to be the Fuji GF 670 6x7 (+ 6x6) modern folder at under 1700$. A different beast than the Rollei, but quite useable. The clone Bessa III of V-C is fine, but quite a bit more costly. Retail prices for the Mamiya 7 and Rolleis suggest some possible advantage of consulting the second hand market for mint examples.</p>