Who is actually a professional photographer?

Opinins fly left and right on this forum, and IMing with a another

member just now this question popped into my head?

Who among the forum member is actually a professional photographer?

(i.e. making the majority of their income from photography).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made the majority of my income from photography over the past forty something years, and also some writing that went along with the photography. But how would you figure investment income and rental property income if you originaly bought the securities and rental property with photography income?

I like my day job too much ,and I make a comfortable living.If I did decide to make a living

full time with photography,I know I'd end up disgusted.For me ,I enjoy photography on my

own terms.If I make money on my photographs, fine.I just don't like the feeling as if I'm on

a hamster wheel selling photographic services.Don.

<< What's the difference? I'm sure we all know professional Photogs that SUCK :) >>

Yes, ... and amateurs as well. :-))

About 40 years ago, someone said to me, "how come everytime you have a smile on your face, you have a camera in your hand?" By lunchtime that day, I had resigned my job as an engineer and tasken a position as a teacher! Long holidays and short working hours, I thought, allowing time to 'work up' a photography business! 4 years later, having fallen in love with teaching, I resigned because I hated the system and went solo as a photographer, with no business sense whatsoever!!

Despite myself, I succeeded and learnt to survive on photography, which I have now, for most of my working life.

Currently, I am trying to 'give up' Pro to become Amateur as I enjoy it more. What i must admit is that being Pro has taught me fantastic discipline that would have been difficult to achieve as an amateur. Discipline, IMHO, is just as important as creativitiy in photography.

Yeah, the pro's generally suck. All of them were trying to get the seminal image of Sharapova (Wimbledon) and virtually ignoring the other woman...OK, I don't remember which woman she played either, sue me. Or, the guys happily snapping at the 9/11 hearings. Or, chasing some Princess (Diana or Paris or the Olsen twins...). Or, trying to capture Jennifer Aniston with a face fart. 8*)

Why would I want to be a pro schleping gear around at a wedding when half of the unions fail?

When it becomes work it is no longer fun, IMHO.

Donald wrote: "If I make money on my photographs, fine.I just don't like the feeling as if I'm on a hamster wheel selling photographic services."

There are a few photographers who can support themselves very well on photography - and at the same time they can take whatever they want whenever they want however they want. There are only a few of them but some artists who use photography as their medium do exceptionally well.

These are the professional photographers that I envy although I wouldn't mind being paid a few hundred dollars an hour just to shoot soap powder. ;-)

I'm professional. I have an M3 but it is only ever used for personal work. I try to

keep pro work and personal stuff separate.

The pro stuff is featured below. The personal stuff is in my album collection

where it will stay :)

www.andrewlambphoto.com

not me. I'm a proffessional enthusiast! heh. There are a lot of things I am enthusiastic about. Actually I do some photo assignments to photograph families or hockey events but I do not charge for those.

I can make more money supporting databases; it's a job that gives me maximum free time to enjoy my family and hobbies.

Graduated from RIT with a BFA in illustrative photography. Decided that my love for photography did not translate into making a living as a photographer, especially in the NYC marketplace where I would have practiced my craft. Spent 30 years doing 'something else' for a living while maintaining my passion at the non-professional level.For me, amateur is a good word.

Virtually all of my business income comes in via my web site. While my site does have some product images I didn't create, many of them are my own. And all of the text is my own. I have no idea how much of my business is the result of my stunning photographic skills, and how much is the result of my scintillating prose. But whatever, it's enough to pay the rent. ;-)