Who in US does good Kodak C-41 processing and printing?

Hi, Everyone.

In Seattle I had some great custom labs for B&W work, have now retired and moved to Eugene, Oregon. There

seems to be a heated competition here, to see who can be the next full service lab to abandon ANY film work, let

alone black and white. I've tried Kodaks' C-41 B&W films, but all of the one hour services have returned prints that

have a decidedly greenish cast, from Costco to Target, Walgreens, etc. Is the problem related to printing on color

paper?

Equipment mostly used is Leica M-6TTL, OM-1n, Retina IIa, so these types should have no bearing on results, they

are dedicated film lenses.

Any recommendations you can throw my way would be appreciated, as to what quick service may be able to handle

the film for me. The idea of B&W done in C-41 sounds really good, but the results I've seen so far are not

encouraging. There must be a quick service equipped and familiar enough to produce pleasing, and conventional

appearing B&W prints from this film, which I think has been around for some time. Thanks in advance.

Patrick

This is a common problem with chromogenic B&W processing...the machines typically leave a decidedly magenta or green tint. I finally gave up and have them only developed and do my own printing or scanning.

A good minilab run by a camera shop can provide neutral tone prints from Kodak or Ilford chromogenic monochrome films. My local pro shops can deliver excellent prints from XP2 Super.

With other minilabs you'll need to badger them to reprint these films until they get it right. Since most one-hour labs offer customers the option to reject unsatisfactory prints, they'll learn pretty quickly to get it right.

Hi Patrick, I still shoot a lot of Portra 160 and BW400C film. I live in the East Coast and I will bring my film to CVS (sometimes ShopRite supermarket) and have the store send the film back to Kodak for processing if I want prints. It costs about $12 for a 36 frame plus tax. I never have the film developed in the stroes. Turnaround time about three days. If I only want the negatives to develop only, no prints, I will send the rolls to KodakGallery.com. You need to register and request the mailing envelope to be sent to you. It costs about $5 for development (and no shipping cost back and forth). The pictures will be posted on line for you to order. The turnaround time from sending out the film, get processed, you pay, and the developed negatives send back to you, may take up to three weeks (once I had to wait three months for my 20 rolls of wedding negatives to be sent back to me because their negative cutting machine was broken).

I only send films back to Kodak because the negatives you get back are covered by protected plastic on both sides. I have never seen dust or finger prints on the negatives yet.

Hope this help.