Who doesn't love a sale?

adam_weaver

<p>The answer: a Nikon user who bought a D600 in October. When we buy new products on the cutting edge we all know we could save a few bucks by buying a few months later. It was mentioned in previous posts about price depreciation and "when to buy" that a typical Nikon body price trajectory (in the +1500 price bracket) might involve a hundred bucks off year one, two hundred off year two, and maybe a bit more at the end of the product lifecycle. <br>

But now we've got $700 off a package of the D600 and the 24-85 VR lens. This package is not what every buyer needs, granted, and not everybody feels like screwing around selling the lens afterwards. <br>

I am only slightly bitter about this, but am wondering if this is a great strategy for Nikon? Price integrity usually indicates a valuable product with a durable worth. But camera manufacturers' pricing behavior over the past year or two has become extremely unpredictable (it seems to me.)<br>

If I need something now then I need it now- I understand that. I bought the D600 because the birth of our baby was imminent and I wasn't worried about missing a hundred buck discount. But over the past six months Pentax decided to double their prices on their "pro" lenses, then cut them in half again for a few days in November. It seems amateurish, like these guys aren't confident in the value of their product, and can't manage their inventory. You can still buy Nikon d3000's new. Nikon V1's are free- it seems they completely goofed their inventory and sales forecast. The economy is soft, but that didn't happen between the late summer product launches and the holiday season. <br>

I'm curious about the new 70-200 f/4, but I don't need it now, so am I going to wait until next December to buy it? Quoth The Who, "Won't get fooled again." I bought a Sony RX100 very soon after its' release. It is an awesome camera, and six months after its release the price has gone from $650 to $600 w/ a few free items. I am totally cool with that, good job Sony.<br>

I'll stop the rant and listen to anyone else who has opinions on this. </p>

<p>It is an unexpected twist, isn't it? Nikon usually has some sort of sale this time of year, but it's usually some fairly modest discount on lenses bought with a camera and "don't bother waiting unless you're going to buy new lenses at the same time" is usually good advice. So I'm sure you're not the only one taken by surprise.</p>

<p>I bought a refurb D800 last month for $2500, now it's on sale for $2200. </p>

<p>I can't recall that Nikon ever had such a "fire sale" as we have seen with the V1 and the 10-30mm - that's 1/3 of the introduction price barely over a year ago! The D200 'end of life' sale at Best Buy comes to mind - definitely a "clear-the-shelves" sale though. Now, the $700 discount on the D600 kit after barely three months? Maybe that is Nikon's answer on the bad reputation for debris and oil on the sensor this camera seems to have garnered - clear the shelves of the affected bodies at a discount? And how come the D3000, D3100, D3200, D5100 and D90 are all still "current"models - points indeed to some overproduction on some models. So the D7000 wasn't the successor to the D90 - but then what niche is the D90 supposed to fill: old sensor and works with AF lenses but can't meter with non-CPU ones? I admit, I was tempted this morning to go for a $749 refurbished D7000 - would make a nice travel combo with the 16-85. But my next planned travel isn't until mid-2013; and by that time, the used prices might have dropped into the $500-600 range. Not to mention that the new DX line(s) may already be available.</p>

<p>My confidence in Nikon has taken a few hits over the last year (adding to the bruising that have remained from previous years) - and my response has been to not purchase but wait. Wait for the model cycle renewals to be complete - to at least get the full story on what the next two or so years will look like. Wait for the apparently inevitable bugs in the new models to be ironed out. Wait for the refurbished models to arrive on the scene and save a few hundred dollars on the model that I actually need. "Fortunately", I am not in need of a new camera (but having lots of trouble keeping wants and NAS in check). In short, Nikon's strategy hasn't worked in their favor with me - hasn't for quite a few years to be exact. IMO (and strictly speaking for myself), model cycles are too short - in many cases, it pays to sit out every other new release.</p>

<p>Adam: Just a short thought ... been buying 'stuff' .. not just cameras, for some time. Electronics (camera bodies) are especially difficult because they are superceded by newer models in about three years. That said, I got the D600 the day it was released, paid top dollar. The QUALITY remains long after the price is forgotten.</p>

<p>Of course, one could also argue - for lack of more detailed information - that the D600 sale is an indication that Nikon's strategy of releasing the more expensive D800 model first isn't working as expected. Many got the D800 that would have purchased a D600 instead - had they known about it. Now, there is an overproduction of D600 and apparently some reason that Nikon feels the need to bump sales numbers. IMO, a $700 discount on the D600 kit cannot leave much profit for Nikon - if any at all. Or, probably more far fetched - the D600 isn't selling to the extent expected because many are waiting for the resolution of the D7000/D300S successor debacle and don't consider the move to FX as desirable as Nikon wants them to (I'm one of them).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The QUALITY remains long after the price is forgotten.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>One way of looking at it. For me, it would sting mightily had I spend $2600 three months ago for something I could now get for $2000! I'd not be as concerned over the $100 discount the D600 body has now over the introductory price. Moot point though, as I determined quite quickly that the D600 is not the camera I would want to spend any amount of money on. More than ever, I am now convinced that it doesn't pay to be an early adopter of a new camera or lens.</p>

<p>Over six years ago I traded in my 30 year old F2 bodies and lenses for a refurb D70s and new lenses, a couple months later I added another D70s refurb. It took me a few years to find that I needed faster AF and frame rate, and at that time the choice was the D300s, but I couldn't afford two (I aways shoot with two of the exact same bodies).</p>

<p>Then the earthquake and tsunami hit, adversely affecting Nikon's business. I realized that new models would be delayed, priced higher, and available bodies would probably go up in price too, so I went online and found refurb D300s bodies for $1250 US. Even though it put me in a hole, I bought two of them. Shortly after, the refurb went up to $1399. Now that it has taken so long for a replacement of the D300s, I'm very glad I made the move at the time, they are excellent.</p>

<p>In the last days, or a little beyond, perhaps, of the Exakta domination of the professional SLR market, they started screwing around with marketing, setting prices for different vendors at vastly different scales, and so on. I think it was one more nail in the coffin, at a time when the Nkon F was coming into the market.<br>

I don't imagine for a minute that will happen to Nikon, but there must be reasons that they need to do this, since it doesn't seem to be a particularly clever way to market to your base.</p>

<P>

Of course, hind sight is 20/20, but there were signs that Nikon might have produced too many D600.

</P>

<P>

Recall that early this year, there was serious shortage for the D800 and especially D800E for months. Nikon first shipped the D800 in mid to late March. I ordered my D800E in mid April and it took my local store almost two full months to deliver it by mid June. The D800 shortage did not end until July or so.

</P>

<P>

On the other hand, the D600 was immediatley available from day 1. There was never any shortage. And deep discounts after merely a few months is nothing new. Back in 2008, Nikon introduced the D700 at $3000. I waited two months and bought mine in September for $2800. Little did I know that it went further down to $2400 or so by October. That was a discount of $600 for the D700 body, with no strings attached.

</P>

<P>

In this case I think Nikon might have priced the 24-85mm AF-S VR a bit high at $600. A decade ago the original 24-85mm AF-S without VR was a $300 lens. Obviously the Japanese yen has gone way up and there is now VR, but Nikon also shifted procution to China. I think there is a wider margain Nikon can compress on the kit lens. Therefore, while the current rebate is clearly very aggressive, the net discount on the D600 body is not that crazy.

</P>

<P>

Bottomline, while I wouldn't mind saving an extra $400 or so, I was glad that I got the D700 in September instead of October, 2008. I had two trips in that month and took a lot of pictures that I was very happy with. If you were happy with the D600 at $2100 back in October, stick with your decision. Otherwise, would you wait another few more months from now so that the D600's price may drop futher?

</P>

<p>Businesses like Nikon do what they must to remain financially viable. That should be their priority, followed closely by - and inextricably intertwined with - customer satisfaction.</p>

<p>Financial forecasts can vary throughout the day and it's likely that this time of year manufacturers and retailers are crunching numbers and tweaking their strategies every day -- maybe several times a day. Consider, also, that the impending "fiscal cliff" in the U.S., which will immediately follow the Christmas holiday. Consumers may need extra incentive to part with money for luxuries like cameras (these are toys for most of us).</p>

<p>Nikon has done this sort of thing before, by the way. I bought my D2H in 2005 at the blowout price - if I'm recalling correctly it was just after the D2Hs had been announced but was not yet available to purchase.</p>

<p>Around that same time -- 2005-2006 -- the 70-200/2.8 AFS VR and a few other desirable high end Nikkors were deeply discounted or sold with rebate offers. I hesitated and regretted it -- that particular zoom was never so affordable again.</p>

<p>I bought my D600 right after Thanksgiving and got $100 off and I felt good and I will continue to feel good about it no matter what it sells for in the future.<br />If you want a particular item then that item is worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it.<br>

In America anyone that buys a new car no matter what the price is has lost a big amount of money the second they drive it off of the lot.<br>

If I had to only be concerned about getting something at the lowest price I most likely wouldn't buy anything at all. Maybe wait a few years hoping for only one to be left on the shelf so I could get it as a bargain.<br>

Enjoy your purchase, take a bunch of images and just have fun as once you bought it there isn't anything that you can do about where the price goes except cause yourself grief.<br>

I like that I now have a full frame and will continue to like it and accept anything that goes along with it.<br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

I never buy anything new Nikon until a.) It has been released for a while and the thunder and lightening are over. b.) It

has had at least one worthwhile price drop, possibly two. c.) I decide for sure how it will benefit me and if it will possibly

have a worthwhile life span worthy of the purchase.

So Thom Hogan told people not to get the D800 until December 15 while the rebate actually starts on the 14th, and

Hogan did not mention the much bigger D600 kit rebate. However, people still give him lots of credit.

These rebate campaigns involve a lot of people. For example, on Black Friday, Nikon discounted the D7000 with the 18-

105 DX lens to $1000 for two days. I was at my local store and there was a huge Nikon poster about the deal. Clearly the

camera stores knew in advance and so did whoever handled Nikon's advertising and whoever printed those posters ....

Someone must have leaked NDA info to Thom Hogan.

<p>Very much appreciate this thread. I happened upon it late this afternoon and realized that TODAY was the last day for me to qualify for price matching from BB for the D600 / 24-85mm combo that I purchased on 11/14. So, a quick trip to BB and 30 mins later they returned $500+ back to my account. Good stuff!</p>

<p>All this argues that possible NDAs(if they exist at all) concerning promotional pricing, especially seasonal discounts, are largely inconsequential relative to NDAs on technical or financial matters that could potentially harm Nikon's shareholders. Enhanced sales hurt no one. Hogan wasn't the only one tipped off which suggests to me that Nikon understands how social media works--even if some here plainly don't.</p>

<p>Nikon pricing varies greatly. Here in Toronto, D7000 bodies are currently selling for C$769 at a Nikon.ca authorized dealer and will probably drift even lower in the next few weeks.</p>

<p>I got my D800E shortly before the London Olympics, when stocks were still poor. It cost me over £3000. I have some images I wouldn't have had otherwise, but I'm about £800 out of pocket compared with current prices, more if I claim I'd only pay a 10% premium for the E and I might have got a non-E D800 instead (let alone D600). Welcome to the world of pricing for electronics - at some point, you just have to bite the bullet and accept that when the world moves fast, so does depreciation. It's not like my D700 was cheap either. If you want a bargain, buy before discontinuation, but know you're getting old stock - I've seen a 200 f/2 VR mk 1 for sale, new, for a couple of hundred less than I paid, but not much worse then that, and I bought after the mk 2 had been announced (for a couple of thousand <em>more</em> than I was about to pay). On the plus side, my 14-24, bought in June 2008, was quite an investment.</p>

<p>In the UK, Nikon prices on some new models have crashed in the last few months, i.e. D800 launched at £2400 when I bought one, went up to £2600 and now available well under £2000, with only the D800E version keeping nearer its original launch price. New 28mm f1.8g lens cost me £620 new, now well under £500. I would expect some discounting with time but this amount is ridiculous, I won't be buying any new Nikon products now for at least 6 months after release in future if this is how prices are going to fall. For years before this all that Nikon and others have done is increase prices due allegedly to exchange rates and inflation etc, etc.</p>

<p>These discounts will cost Nikon dear in future years as nobody will want to buy new models for full price if they can expect enormous discounts a few months after launch. By my reckoning the D800 and 28mm f1.8g prices combined have fallen by around 20% since launch. I like my D800 but do feel ripped off, the price cuts have instantly devalued my camera value, in the longer term I'll be lucky if my D800 is worth a £1000 in a year or so. This never happened with the D700, its market price stayed fairly constant for most of its life in the UK and used prices were strong.</p>

<p> </p>