Who do you shoot with?

I know the answers to this will vary according to the type of

photography you do.... but I was wondering if when you go out (or

stay in) with your camera for the planned purpose of making

photographs, do you usually go out alone, or with another

photographer or group of photographers (not counting models, makeup

artists, etc.)? If you answer, please explain the type of

photography you do and some reasoning behind your answers.

I mostly do landscape'ish kind of shooting and I quite often make

trips or go on hikes by myself. I also normally take my camera on

vacations with friends, but then I'll always do more casual

shooting. Additionally, I've gone on a couple of group outings

(semi-formal workshop kinda things) and enjoy the comradary, the

exchanging of ideas, and sharing of results; but I tend to feel more

satisfied when I'm on my own and can take my time exploring for

things to shoot, examining compositions, waiting for the right

light, etc. Am I just a loner, or do other people appreciate

this 'meditative' quality about photography?

I used to photograph with a lady friend but we drifted apart and now I photograph by myself. I do mainly street photography and prefer to go it alone. The few times I have gone with other photographers I found my self distracted. I like doing what I want--walking down that street instead of this street, or turning a corner and stoping to photograph something that takes me. I can go at my own pace, linger when I want to, move on when I feel like it.

In "Bystander - A History of Street Photography", Joel Meyerowitz recalls street shooting with Garry Winogrand and how he felt that they fed off of each other for inspiration. He also recollects running into Diane Arbus and Lee Friedlander on the street, and that they preferred to work alone.

Personally, I can't imagine shooting seriously unless I'm alone, but I've never tried the workshop thing with other photographers. I don't think it would work for me, though, as I think that at least part of the reason that I'm drawn to photography is that it suits my rather solitary nature. I mainly take landscapes, and while I enjoy hiking with friends, I'm just as happy on my own.

I shoot alone, I shoot with Brad Evans, I shoot with grant. Sometimes, I shoot with non-photographers, which helps to distract subjects on the street, and also gives another point of engagement. If I didn't take my son to places like Morocco and Mexico, it's unlikely I would have been invited into people's homes and allowed to shoot there.

I photograph people, so there's almost always someone around

when I'm shooting. I may be out by myself, or with friends, or

with strangers who've become recent acquaintances. The

people I'm around when I'm shooting grow accustomed to me

frequently looking around and occasionally focusing my attention

elsewhere then taking a shot.

No, no, no, no, no! There is photography, and there are groups of people. But there is no such thing as groups of people engaged in photography. When I am taking photographs I want no distractions. In any event when I am shooting landscape I am unbearable - the light is wrong, the clouds are wrong, the cows are wrong, so it's just as well to keep out of my way! Other than that I'm a pussy-cat.

Its easy enough to cock up an image when you are the only person around, so why complicate the matter by having to relate to some other photog as well? I am an editorial photog and work alone, sometimes among many colleages.

The only other person I shoot with is my SO and we've been shooting together for awhile and it works well for us. The rest (which is most of the time) I shoot alone and love it. A whole day just seems to fly by.

I do think differently when I'm by myself but I don't really see any difference in the results than when I shoot with him.

Conni

When my wife and I go someplace--a park, a different town, etc.--that we don't visit often, I always have my camera with me. But if I do local street photography with the intent of focusing on people, I prefer to be alone. My wife thinks there's something creepy and voyeuristic about shooting strangers, and she tends to let me know it.

Lots of great and diverse answers. I suppose there is at least a bit of the "exploring one's self through the exploration of one's subjects and surroundings" sort of thing in most of us who regard photography as more than just a commercial job or casual exercise in snapshooting. Shooting alone does seem to be a 'purer' (for lack of a better term at the moment) way to experiment and explore this art/form-of-expression. As touched on in a couple responses, whether it's out near the middle of nowhere or on a crowded street, I still can't help feel a bit 'creepy' when I'm out there by myself with just my camera. Oh well.

...also, I feel that as so-called 'artists' there is a need for some exchange with other 'artists'. I suppose many of us show our work to family, friends, and other photographers after the 'film' has been exposed and get some amount of critique and feedback. But couldn't it be a good thing to, at least once in a while, go out with other photographer(s) for the sake of learning and exchanging ideas or getting feedback 'in-the-field'?

I shoot anything in front of my camera, but for this discussion I would be talking street photography, and 90% of the time I shoot alone. When I go to NYC I shoot with others...sometimes. Even though I shoot "with" them, i usually wander off...but somehow always meet back up. Well, actually wander off aint exactly accurate......I stop........they keep going ;o)

I usually shoot alone, given that my shoots last about 3 weeks it makes for a

lot of alone time, it can really clear the cobwebs. Music becomes all important

to me and can greatly affect your imagery. Most of the time I have Pat

Metheny keeping me company.