Who can process 127 film for my Kodak Brownie?

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by amanda_n|1, Aug 16, 2009.

  1. I have a Brownie Starflash that takes 127 film. The camera doesn't seem to be missing any parts and appears to be in proper working condition. I intend to use it for outdoor black and white photography. I know B&H sells 127 film in color and also in b&w, but I don't have access to a darkroom for the b&w film and I don't know where I would send the color film to get it processed (plus, I just enjoy the overall timeless feel of a B&W photograph!). I have a couple of questions:
    1. Are there any good sources for purchasing 127 film that fits this particular model?
    2. Since I don't have access to my own printing and processing, where might I be able to take my film where I can have a professional quality job? What kind of price range am I looking at?
    Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
  2. The black and white 127 that you can get from B&H (Efke R100) is very good. Dwayne's Photo http://dwaynesphoto.com/ does an exceptional job working with black and white (I can't speak for color).
  3. Any pro lab that uses a "dip and dunk" film developing maching should be able to handle your 127 film without major problems, and typically the cost will probably run about $3 to $5 a roll. Also, you don't need a darkroom to process B&W film at home; all you need is maybe $100 worth of stuff, and it's easy to process yourself, and regular Paterson rolls have an intermediate setting for 127 film.
    But at the end of the day, what you have from this is a roll of processed film, which is not too useful by itself (unless the film is transparency film and you want to look at it on a light-box). The real issue is printing. I suspect that the common minilab printers (Fuji Frontier etc.) do not handle 127 film. What that means is that you either have to scan it (probably a custom scan for each frame) or print it with an optical enlarger. I have a 127/4x4 negative carrier for my Beseler 45MX, and using it to print B&W is as easy as printing any B&W, but of course you have to have a darkroom. If someone else is custom-scanning or custom-printing (with an optical enlarger) each of your frames, that will probably be quite pricey.
    If you really want to use your Brownie--and frankly, I can't see a good reason, unless it is a family mememto or something--then probably you need to either find a community darkroom where you cant print B&W yourself, or shoot transparency film and make "super slides" (4x4 frames on 127 film that fit in regular 35mm slide trays), or else be prepared to shell out a fair amount of money.
  4. Other possibilities would include filmforclassics.com, Rocky Mountain Film Labs, and Film Rescue International. These companies deal with special requests. If a "regular" lab like Dwaynes can handle it, they will probably provide the best price, turn-around time, and quality.
  5. It may be as easy as asking around. 127 film is smaller than 120 film. My developing reels take 3 sizes. 35mm, 120 and 127 film. Chances are if you find a lab that develops 120 they will develop 127 film as well, or know who does in your area. You may even try asking if your local drug store outsources their developing and give the outsource company a call. It may be as easy as dropping it off at your normal place and waiting a few extra days.
  6. I haven't bought from this site (yet), but www.frugalphotographer.com sells 127 in color. If you're like me and there isn't really a professional lab anywhere near you, then it sounds like Dwayne's photo is the place to send it for developing, although I have yet to send anything to them. I'd search this site for other people's reviews on both places then draw your own conclusions.
  7. I recommend Blue Moon (echoing Somak Ray). David Foy (The Frugal Photographer)

Share This Page