Who can identify this camera?

david_gardner6

Last week I asked a question about Shen Hao lens boards. I didn't get any responses...probably because my question was predicated on a faulty assumption. Here's round 2.

About 20 or so years ago I bough a 4x5 field camera on eBay. It was listed as a Shen Hao, but it turns out that that is apparently incorrect. It has no manufacturer's information, except for what may be on a sticker written in Chinese (I think). I'm perfectly happy with the camera; it was cheap, it holds my lens and my film holders, and it focuses. But I am curious about what it is. Does anyone here recognize it? Or, read Chinese? :-)

1.thumb.jpg.37a17eb14b35d812d5c352e4c73aa664.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.471523e4ea97eaa3c57d9495b6329e32.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.019399606e09a88e921e8f7c03bc615a.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.462e994154f8e14e28f1a53c989f9926.jpg

Yes, that's Chinese. Using a character dictionary, I get the top two characters as (hope this displays correctly!)

冠龙

Guan long: it translates as Crown Dragon. Any googling you do will be complicated by the fact that they named a new dinosaur Guanlong.

The second line is

照相器材公司材料厂

which Google says is 'Photographic Equipment Company Material Factory', which sounds right.

I got a search result at Google Books, which lets you see an index page with an entry for Guan Long Photographic Supply Company:

the book is 'Zooming In: Histories of Photography in China' by Wu Hung, Reaktion Books, 2016.

Good luck!

• Like 1