Who are the big names now

I normally don't post here, but I read all the info here, great

threads.

When I think of great photographers, I tend to think of Avedon,

Newton, Hurrel, Cappa etc, all of which are no longer with us.

But I have no clue as to who the new forces in photography are, could

you guys enlight me.

Thanks

Hugh

Since everyone you mentioned is either a fashion, editorial or celebrity portrait

photographer:

Forces-- defined as: as in whose work is strong enough to make a difference in the way

most photographers and editors make, look at and use photography:

Annie Leibowitz, Gregory Heisler, Dan Winters, James Nachtwey, Steven Meisel, David

LaChappelle, Herb Ritts (dead), Robert Mapplethorpe (also dead), Mark Seliger, Mary Ellen

Mark, Jodi Cobb, Eugene Richards, Greg Gorman, Albert Watson & David Alan Harvey.

i also want to add Lauren Greenfield, Alex Webb, & Robert Polidari to my list.

I chosethe photographers I'm familiar with. In the specific genres (which don't include art

or architecture or still life so therefore great photographers like Nan Goldin, Graciela

Iturbitude, Thomas Struth, Nicholas Nixon, Michael Kenna, Emmit Gowin, Richard Misrach,

Robert Adams, John Sexton, jack Dykinga & Martin Parr aren't on my list) in which Hugo

was citing names from, [ithe only non Americvans I know are Salgado and the British and

French photographers in VII Photo; also Nick Knight whose work I think is amazing. There

is also Serge Lutens. And Anton Kratchovil (who along with Nachtwey & Lauren Greenfield

are also members of VII Photo).

Can you name others who have pushed fashon, editorial & celebrity portraiture who aren't

from the USA or Britain?

I wish I knew more so feel free to enlighten me; any contemporary (meaning still alive and

stil lworking) Chinese, Indian, African, Arab, Chinese, Vietnamese, Israeli, Spanish,

Turkish, French, SouthAmerican, Mexican, Russian or Japanese, etc. photographers whose

work it is worth finding?

<i>Can you name others who have pushed fashon, editorial & celebrity portraiture who aren't from the USA or Britain?</i><p>

Araki, as an example, has published fashion work, and celebrity portraiture. <p>

However, I'm not sure that the question specified only those areas. The ones I gave are well-known for their work but not necessarily in those fields you mention.<p>

<i>I wish I knew more so feel free to enlighten me; any contemporary...Chinese, Indian, African, Arab, Chinese, Vietnamese, Israeli, Spanish, Turkish, French, SouthAmerican, Mexican, Russian or Japanese</i><p>

I gave two examples of successful and well-known Mexican photographers above. <p>

Arab - Abbas, very well-known Magnum photographer with many books. Chinese - Liu Zheng, as an example, but photography is rapidly developing in China after a long dry spell, Indian - unfortunately, the most well-known Indian photographer, Raghubir Singh, died a few years ago, African - Seydou Keita is probably one of the great portraitists of the 20th century, has major exhibitions in museums in the US, Spanish - Christine Garcia-Rodero continues to publish and work in a Magnum-style, Joan Fontcuberta continues a long surrealist tradition in photography, South American - Miguel Rio Branco (Brazil) has to be one of the great color photographers of today, Luis Gonzalez Palma Guatemala, Central America obviously) is a great photographic artist working in a totally unique style, Japanese - photography is very well-developed in Japan and amazing work is done, from fashion work by people like Araki and Shoichi Aoiki to post-modern photography by people like Miwa Yanagi. The depth of photography in Japan is pretty amazing - I see more variety there than here, although the commercial work follows certain trends, just like here.<p>

There's really quite a bit out there, it's not that hard to find even if the names (other than many Salgado and Araki) aren't as well-known here.

Heres a note to all the unknown photographers whos love of photography is

their passion and are not concerned in the slightest with the quest for fame,

recognition, or tending their massive egos. Those who style isn't dictated by

fads, art directors, or creating "edgy" work for its own sake.

when i look at how many wonderful (and unknown) photographers post their pictures on photo dot net, it is hard for me to say that there is a BEST photographer at all. the question which begs to be asked is more like "who's name is the most famous" and not nessessarily "who is the best". i have seen what seems to be far superior material on photo dot net than many of the high end galleries which boast the "big names".

I don't think any one comes close to Sebastiao Salgado and don't worry, he is Brazilian and not American. He did happen to be the only photographer to capture the attempted assasination of Ronald Regan back in the early eighties.

Salgado is very influential and a very powerful voice. I have read somewhere that he has

sadi that the project he is working on now will be his last active project. I hope this is not

true as he is still relatively young but I also understand the big documentary projects that

he takes on take an enormous amount of energy and time as well as devotion.