White circle on photos

drew_back

Are you using IR film? IR film sometimes exhibits a central "hot spot" that looks like this - as I understand it the cause is reflections off the back element of the lens.

I've had an effect somewhat like this on the M8 using a 50/1.4 summilux asph, and the effect went away when I used a UV/IR cut filter (486).

I have also had fingerprints on the back elements of some lenses but have never observed them to cause an effect like this.

I would be very surprised if a front-element fingerprint would be the cause of this effect.

It looks like it might be a pinhole (or thin spot?) on your shutter curtain, should be easy to check that. I doubt if flare would show up the same way in 16 pictures. I wonder if a processing or film problem could be the cause. It seems unlikely to be a light leak but anything is possible I guess.

The 90 Elmar has always been considered a sharp and contrasty lens. I suspect that the bright area was caused by a combination of a mildly dirty lens and sunlight striking the front lens surface. Was there a proper hood on the lens? (I always used the adjustable shade which fit focal lengths from the 50 Elmar to the 135 Hektor.)

I can see some spots in the lens this is the first time I have used it ..I do not have a lens shade for it I saw one on ebay like you are talking about maybe I should get it. Im still waiting on my 50 to come back from DAG I cant sem to get ahold of anyone there, when that one comes back I will send the 90 out for a good cleaning.. Thank you for all your advice

First picture looks like flare. Second picture looks like a processing problem because the

edges are sharp. If you processed it yourself, you may have loaded the reel with two loops

touching.

Get the lens cleaned, get a lens hood, and have the shutter checked out for pinholes and

possible light leaks.

I think it comes from the dirty innards of the lens from old grease having been deposited unevenly (perhaps the center is spared) on the inner elements. A 'CLA' should take care of it.

Bob's post here is irrelevant as most films do not have as much IR sensitivity as a Leica M8 or an Epson R-D1s or the many fine cams from Nikon.

I have an early coated Elmar 90/4, which has haze that can't be cleaned out, and it does the same thing, although not as badly. Yours may or may not be salvageable, but it's an easy lens for any repairer to open and check out.

I've replaced it with a clean shiny uncoated one, no such trouble.

It looks like flare from the bright snow. I think the light spot is there in the second picture only less obvious in the tree, and there is not so much brightness around to enter the lens, either. I'm sure a hood will help a lot. I have the same problem with a very clean Summar when shooting into a bright sky, but with a hood results under the same conditions are exceptional.

I think your I© has just had a CLA ?

Bill That could be true it was about 10 degrees out side..Im still seeing some black streaks after the cleaning of my 1C I will try a roll indoors if I can with the 90 to see if anything changes I did order a lens hood this morning I guess Ebay is my friend..

I think Bill is right: most probably condensation. As a keen hiker I am always cautious of carrying older (non-weatherproofed) cameras beneath numerous layers of winter clothes, since the humidity there can be relatively high at times. This is something to be especially aware of if the outside air temperature is significantly below freezing. Keeping the camera at a stable temperature is best ... in fact, the "Goldilocks principle" applies: not too hot, and not too cold. AC

I tried another roll tonight and they were even worse so I know its the lens.. Who else is good to clean this besides DAG.. I sent my 50 off to them on the 23rd and have not gotten any replies to email or answer on phone..Are they ok maybe something drastic happened..

What Adrian says ... Don clearly has a backlog of work, but in my own experience, once a job is at the top of the list it stays there. Also, emails to Don are best kept short and sweet: concise, possibly with a *small* photo or diagram, no unnecessary waffle. AC