whitch lens

snowjunkie

i am going to a resort in florida for 3 days then going on a disney cruise 1 day in the bahamas one day on the disney

island i am going with my 5 month old son wife and 22 other members of my family i have a 18-55 mm kit lens that

came with my canon xti and i have a 70-300mm is lens i am looking for something for the trip and something to use

on family events ex weddings, birthdays and yearly reunion. the 2 lenses i was concidering was the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6

is usm or the 55-200 f/4.0-5.6 is im not sure which one would be a better investment. any insite would help

I would say... all the lenses listed are relatively similar in image quality. The 28-135/55-200 as a lot of overlap and I would say only marginally better image quality wise than what you have already... if that.<p> Canon 28-135 has IS.. but on a crop, you might be better off with the 17-85IS and the 70-300IS combo.<p>

Best investment... Canon 50mm f/1.8. This lens will let you take great portraits on your trip, future weddings and birthdays... and it's less than $100.<p>

the zooms you've listed have a lot of redundancy as far as coverage. perhaps a good fast prime would be in order. on an xti a 50 (f1.4 or f1.8) makes a good portrait lens, good for the family events you mention. either one is inexpensive, quite fast and easy to use in available light. they both produce good bokeh, although the f1.4 may be a tad better for that.

otherwise, looks like you have it covered with the 2 zooms you currently own. if you really need another zoom an ef-s 17-55 f2.8 or any of the canon 70-200 lenses might be a logical choice.

if you only need a lens for the 4 day trip you might consider just renting instead of buying. you might consider a canon 50mm f1.2 or 85mm f1.2. these are pricey to buy but not that much to rent. they yield excellent portraits and cover events in available light better than almost any other lens.

It's hard to beat the 17-85 IS for a one-lens travel solution. I just sold my 28-135 IS and bought the 17-85 and find it is much more useful (I have an XT) and I like the image quality better. I also have a 12-24, 70-200L and, of course, the 50/1.8.

That's right there is noting to be gained from getting the lenses you listed. The are the same on image quality as what you already have.

Get the 50 1.8, and learn to shoot shallow DOF portraits. You will love the results. If you have a burning desire to spend more than $100 consider also getting a flash and 2' off camera cord like the 430 EX and learn to use that too before you go. You'll be able to get some great night time shots.

I don't understand why you would want any of the two lenses you listed - they totally overlap in focal lengths with the lenses you already own - nothing is gained by adding them. As others have pointed out look into a fast prime lens, like the 50mm f/1.8 or the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 if you really feel like spending money on lenses.

> i am looking for something for the trip (with my 5 month old son wife and 22 other members of my family) and something to use on family events ex weddings, birthdays and yearly reunion. <

The two zoom lenses you are considering buy you nothing more than what you already have.

For the outputs you mention, the 10 to 22 would be more useful than either prime lens mentioned.

Also it adds a (proper) wide angle to your present zoom kit.

Of the two budget prime lenses mentioned, the 35mm, (on an XTi), will most likely be more useful for the trip and for family functions, than the 50F1.8.

WW