Which X-Rite monitor calibration tool?

<p>After reading a lot of previous questions on monitor calibration, I am still confused. It seems that for monitor calibration (no printer profiling), there are two often recommended solutions that should work with my Macintosh OSX 7 (Lion) system and a HP LP2475w monitor:<br>

i1Display Pro ($249 at BH)<br>

ColorMunki Display ($169 at BH)<br>

Apparently the i1Display is a colorimeter and the ColorMunki is a spectrophotometer.<br>

Considering the prices (my budget is tight), how important is that difference? The time required for calibrating is of no importance to me, and I don't need the end result to be better than what I can reasonably see. Most of my work is in B&W, but I do some work in colour and sometimes I add a hint colour to B&W shots using split toning.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>i1Display Pro ($249 at BH)<br />ColorMunki Display ($169 at BH)<br />Apparently the i1Display is a colorimeter and the ColorMunki is a spectrophotometer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Both i1Display Pro and ColorMunki Display are Colorimeters and in fact, identical hardware! The <em>ColorMunki Photo</em> is a Spectrophotometer. Naming here is kind of confusing. <br>

The difference between your two picks is the software. If your goal is a very close screen to print match, the extra money buys you superior software for this task and the colorimeter will run faster. If you do your own printing, try to spring for the Pro version because the software provides a lot more control over calibration of the display and hence, you’ll end up with a better print to screen match. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)