Which UV filter for film photography?

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by rexmarriott, Oct 2, 2017.

1. https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/filters/FilterTransmissionCurves.pdf

is an actual chart from an actual filter manufacturer.

Linear scale, not log scale, but you can see the cutoff of the UV filter at around 380nm.

I am a little surprised that the lens cutoff is at 430nm, but you never known.
    Different lenses will be different.

Skylight filters give a little warming. People like skin tones to be a little warm, instead of a little cool.

As for digital or not, there is one important case: you want circular polarizers with digital cameras, though maybe also later film cameras. The AF system on some might also be polarization sensitive, but mostly the optical low-pass filter based on birefringence is polarization sensitive. It might be that some are labeled as digital for that reason. Other than that, it shouldn't matter.

2. All phase detect AF systems I know of require circular polarizers.

In addition, the light meters on certain Canon cameras going back to the late 1960s require circular polarizers(FT, FTb, F-1, New F-1) as they use a semi-silvered mirror to divert light to the metering cell. The Pellix can black out completely with a linear polarizer!

3. [QUOTE="ben_hutcherson, post: 5607275, member: 2061838"
    (snip)
    The Pellix can black out completely with a linear polarizer![/QUOTE]

The Pellix was my father's first SLR, and after he bought it, I got to use his Canon VI much of the time.

I now have a Pellix from a Goodwill auction. The mirror is a little dusty, though.
    It came with the usual leather case, but no lens. I believe that some leather dust is now on the mirror.

I will have to try a linear polarizer on it.