flickr url

Hello!

<br>I currently own a Bogen 3021, love it - but its too damn big and heavy. I

travel a lot, really need something lightweight. My max setup is a D200 with

Grip, and an 80-200/2.8 lens. I have been looking at some Carbon Fiber,

Magnesium / Basalt etc etc...

<br>Most of these are expensive, and then again, I'll have to get a head

separately...which is ok!

<br>I have looked at the Slik 714 series, Manfrotto 190 etc. Any opinion / ideas

that the forum can suggest is welcome...

<br>Thanks for your responses!

<br><br>Naveen

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a cheap tripod, necessitating you buying another and another until you finally wise up and buy an actual solid tripod.

I bought a Gitzo 1228 carbon fiber years ago and never regretted it. It's as heavy as I can carry without cursing the very subject of photography ;-) I still have my 3021.

I've had Bogen/Manfrotto, Linhof, Albert, Leica, and sundry other brands. Eventually I bought a Gitzo carbon fiber legset that has everything that I want: lightness, strength, low thermal conductivity, and compactness. Make your selection based on the size and weight of the lenses you will use, your height, and how compact you desire it to be. The head is a different matter and most people use some version of a ball-head.

Alex,

<br>I never thought of low thermal conductivity...why is that a perspective?

<br>

<br>David,

<br>You are correct! there are soo many posts that keep praising the Gitzo 1228 CF...although it will cause a MAJOR dent in the wallet! The 3021 is my starter tripod, its served me well so far.

<br>Thanks for all the information!

<br>Naveen

I have used Gitzo tripods for over 20 years, so when I decided to buy a carbon one Gitzo was the obvious choice - however I ended up getting a Benro, after comparing them side by side!

The Benro are made in China, which seems to put most people off; they are in no way substandard though! I bought mine because I found it to be actually better constructed than the almost identical Gitzo - and it was only half the price!.

I now believe the standard of the Gitzo's has fallen way bellow what they used to be, and that they are now grossly overpriced and just trading on 'past glory'.

I used to haul large tripods because of using a Pentax 67 kit that required some vibration taming. I enjoying my hiking treks less and less. To experiment, I picked up a used Bogen 3011 and tried a few heads that I had on hand with it for Mamiya 7 and Bronica 645RF duty. A simple 3025 head worked okay and was lightweight and recently I picked up a cheapy ballhead (Triopo JB-1) that is working surprisingly well. I've found that this is sufficient equipment to control these rangefinders as they're relatively light and don't induce much vibration or motion. It seems to control a 35mm SLR with 200mm but I've not done any extensive testing to assure myself of absolute performance. When I feel the current lightweight rig is wearing, this experiment has shown me that a compact rig can work for my current needs and I'll pop for a higher grade combo.

A quick, accurate test to check compatibility of your camera/lens/pod is to attach a laser pointer, take some shots at varying shutter speeds and review the images. The motion on the image is very easy to discern and you can tell if they work well together. I found lighter combinations many times fared well or better than certain heavy combos when I was trying to get something to work with the P67 gear. It's almost as if the frequency of vibrations are quelled better in less than predictable ways and only direct testing will show this.

An 80-200/2.8 is a fairly heavy lens, but the focal length is the main issue. It takes a substantial tripod to hold a 200mm (effectively 300mm) lens steady in the field, especially in a breeze. Per the recommendation of Really Right Stuff (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com), and in my own experience, a Gitzo Series 2 tripod (equivalent to your Bogen 3021) is about the minimum suitable support. Anything less may be better than no tripod at all, but will give inconsistent results.

The second thing you need for portability is a tripod that is short enough to put in suitcase, carry on a strap or mount on a backpack. Long tripods swing around too much on a backpack and snag on branches. A collapsed length of 24 inches or less, without the head, is a good compromise.

The expensive part is "light weight". A Gitzo series 2 will weight about 4 pounds in aluminum (a 3021 is nearly 6 pounds and shorter), but less than 3 pounds (2.8) in the new 6x carbon fiber. As a bonus, though, a Gitzo CF tripod is nearly as stiff as the next size larger aluminum tripod. A Gitzo CF tripod costs about twice as much as the corresponding aluminum model. IMO, it's worth it for the extra stiffness alone.

There are several tripods that fit this basic specification, not just Gitzo (which is my preference). I used a Gitzo CF G-1227 for the last 4 years as my main carry tripod, and recently purchased a GT-3540 for that purpose. The 3540 is light (3.8 pounds), yet as stiff as my 13 pound G-1504, and is suitable for still and video work. I wish it were taller (only 57"), but it folds down to 21 inches.

I have owned and used an half-dozen Gitzo tripods over the last 8 or 9 years. If there is a decline in quality, I do not see it. The new, 6x series is remarkably innovative - internally keyed legs that don't rotate, bushings at the top of each section that fit tightly (0.003") inside the next section, and locking rings that hold even if accidently backed off a little (the tapered bushing is so aggressive that it jams by design, but is attached to the collar and positively pulled out of engagement).

The "Induro" tripods are a clever imitation of Gitzo, but have a way to go in terms of quality and reliability (search PNET for examples). There are many high-quality things produced in China, but they don't usually start off that way. You tend get what you pay for in the competitive photography business. Considering the knocks my tripods have taken, I've no reason to recommend anything less.