Which TLR for low light work & long exposure?

niels_de_boissezon1

Hi

I wan't to make long exposure during daytime and nighttime (above 30

seconds). I'll need very strong ND-filters but they are somewhat

cumbersome when used with SLR's. Thats where a TLR comes in handy. So

my question is: what used TLR would you recommend for this job? It

should have mirror lockup and a remote shutter capability - and it

would be nice if it used 52 or 58 mm filters. Keep in mind that I am

on tight budget (around 400 $ and preferably less)

Cheers

Neils,

Almost all of the tlr's I have seen have a remote release capability. None will need mirror lock-up since there is no mirror on the taking lens. (One of the beauties of the tlr design is that you can see your model blink during the exposure - through the finder.)

I used to have a Mamiya C330 and it would suite your needs perfectly though so would most of the other tlr's out there. I can't remember the size of the filters though... I do highly recommend the Mamiya tlr's though and they are almost the only game in town if you want a tlr and more than one lens.

Another option would be a rangefinder. You could get a nice Koni-Omega for under $400 and also have a 6x7 negative. If you normally crop to a rectangle anyway for prints (like I do) you are really only getting a 6x4.5 instead of a 6x6.

Good luck,

Jim Seaman

Most Mamiya lenses use either a 46 or 49 mm standard threaded filters. I have successfully used step up rings and put 52 MM filters (polarizer) on my C220, except this won't allow full view of focusing screen with the 55 4.5 lens. It wasn't that big a deal to me. I use heliopan filters because they have graduations so that you can place them on the camera in the same orientation as looking through the bare filter. Check KEH.com for options.

I use my TLRs for nighttime photography. As others have said there is no mirror lockup involved - the upper mirror box for the viewing lens is totally separate from the lower box for the taking lens, shutter and film.

Even TLRs that appear to have no method for using a cable release may have a solution. My Yashica 635 lacks a cable release socket in the shutter release button. However I discovered that by removing the knurled metal collar surrounding the shutter release button a cable release for a Nikon F would fit. Removing the knurled metal collar does not cause the shutter release button or other parts to come flying out so just save the collar to replace it after finishing up with the cable release.

Or consider a Minolta Autocord, which has a fantastic Rokkor 75mm lens, and can be had on auctions for $100 or even less. Autocords use Bay 1 accessories just like rolleiflexes that use the 75mm Tessar or Xenar lens. All can flash synch at any shutter speed (usual shutter range is bulb, and 1 second on up to 1/500th).

Another very inexpensive TLR with quality lens is the original YashicaMat with the Yashinon lens. The more recent 124 G models are made with a lot of plastic and in my opinion are not as durable as the standard Mat.

Do you know which films you will be using and have you calculated additional time for reciprocity?

I forgot to mention in my earlier post...

Some TLRs, like my Rollei 2.8C, have locking collars around the shutter release button. While most folks think of these as locks to prevent accidental shutter release when the shutter has been cocked, the locking collar can also be used to lock the shutter *open* with the shutter set to B. Handy for long exposures when a cable release is unavailable.

My Canon FTbn had the same feature. Wish my Nikon FM2N had such an option.