hello everyone.

I just got a new nikon ED 300/f4 for my D200 (my only other lens is

a 18-200 VR). I'm thinking of coupling it with a TC for a better

reach.

Nerver used one before though.

In your valuable experience, which one gives you better results in a

way that reach/definition/compatibility don't punish too much one

another?

I have used a TC-300 (2x converter) with the AF Nikkor 300/4 (older type, not AF-S) on film, and it worked really well on a safari. I did lose AF, but since we were shooting from the car with good support, I found it easy to work with MF.

If it is the AF-S lens, we're talking, I'd get a Nikon TC-14E without hesitation.

Cheers,

Soeren

I'm using the older version of that lens, along with a Kenko 1.4x teleconverter - works great. Even without the AF-S, the autofocus locks quickly on the D200 and the shots are nice and contrasty.

All the bird shots in my folders are with that combo.

Since you have said your lens is the AF-S version, stick with the AF tcs made by Nikon, the 14E, 17E or 20E. You might lose AF give you do not have enough light going thru the lens with the 20E and maybe he 17E. If you do not care about maintaining AF with your AF-S lens, you can use the tcs that do not maintain AF: the tc 14B and the tc-301. These two tcs are designed for Nikon tele lenses 300mm and longer. Optically they are great, especially the tc 14B. These mf tcs will allow metering with the D 200. I use them with my 500mm f 4.0 P lens and my D 200 with excellent results. Joe Smith