which slr-camera to choose?

philip_buttmann

<p>Well I guess I would recommend first off to buy from Keh.com as they have a 6 month warranty and a 2 week no hassle return policy.<br>

If you are looking for an autofocus camera I would recommend the Nikon N80 for about $80.00 and a Nikon 50mm f1.8 D lens. That would bring you in under $300.00 dollars.<br>

or<br>

If you are looking for a manual focus camera then I would recommend the Nikon FM10 which you can buy brand new grey market with a 1 year warranty with a zoom lens for $234.00 at BHPHoto. Some people would say the camera is not reliable but they also do not own one. I do own one and I think it is a stout little camera that will last for decades. Being brand new it should not have any issues. Or you could buy a used one for a hundred bucks and a Nikon AIS 50mm F1.8E lens for about $70.00 from KEH and it would cost you less then $200.00. There are many older manual focus camera's out there. Most of them need to be serviced and that will put you into more then the $300.00 budget with a lens. </p>

<p>The cheapest lens option is going to limit your choice of camera body. As recommended above, the best VFM standard lens is going to be a 50mm f/1.8 AF or AF-D, but those lenses need a camera body with a focus motor built-in, since there isn't one in the lens. Expect to pay around 60-75 Euros for the lens, depending on condition.</p>

<p>IMHO the D70 and D80 are getting a bit long in the tooth, and you should be able to get something a bit more up-to-date for around 225 Euros. BTW I'm assuming you're interested in a digital SLR Philip. You also neglected to mention whether it was a film or digital camera you wanted. </p>

<p>If film, then there are lots of very inexpensive bodies.</p>

<p>The lens option is the problem with digital kits, but consider the later, very cheap AF Nikkor 35-80mm D lens. It is <em>very</em> inexpensive and decent as a temporary measure while your bank balance recovers.<br>

You'll need to spend most of your money on the body, since (despite what is often said) usable old dSLRs are more expensive than film bodies. Look for a <em>later</em> 6MP or 8MP body.</p>

<p> If you really mean SLR and not DSLR, the Nikon F 100 is a very good option. The FM2n is also very good, but not AF. I think the F4 is also reasonably priced. All of these cameras can use the AI and AIS lenses that are very well priced and very good build and IQ quality.</p>