Which should I keep: N90 or F4S or F3HP?

brian_flaherty1

I recently acquired two Nikon F100's(used in excellent condition)at

absolutely terrific prices! That makes several cameras in my "stable"

unnecessary. And, I can use the money they will bring.

I have been using a N90 and F4S as my primary cameras(one is fitted

with a 28-200 AF lens; the other is fitted with a 18-35 AF lens--both

are in excellent condition. I have also been using a F3HP for any

manual work--generally using a 85mm f1.4 for portrait and a 500mm f8

for long-range nature shots.

Here is the question: Which TWO camera bodies should I sell????

The camera I keep will probably be mounted on a tripod most of the

time. The N90 and the F100 weigh approximately the same. The F4S is

a monster. . .but, it sure is a nice camera!

I would appreciate any and all comments! And, don't be afraid of

hurting my feelings.

Thanks for your input.

Brian Flaherty

I'd sell all 3. If it was an N90s, then I'd keep it, but the N90 lacks the AF speed and 1/3EV shutter speed setting of the N90s (big deal for me, I like my adjustability in 1/3Ev steps). The F4 is huge and has poor AF while the F3 offers only size and the nice viewfinder over the other 3, lacking the advantages of certain other MF bodies (notably the FM3a and FM2n).

I'd sell all 3 and buy a FM3a with the proceeds. That will get you a MF body with a good viewfinder (If inferior to the F3's), battery-less operation, 1/250 TTL flash (like the N90 and F4s), light weight, and a warantee.

Personally I would keep at least one body with mirror lock up. Having all of the cameras you've mentioned I would keep the F4 for its MLU, spot metering, built in motor, and better flash performance. Think of the F4 as the ultimate manual focus camera with AF if you need it. The N90s is a very good camera also, but I wouldn't keep a plain N90. I think the F100 is close to perfect but it lacks MLU, which I need (perfect to me is the F5...I don't mind the bulk).

I would keep the F100s and sell all the others. You can do long night exposures on the F100

with the electronic remote. If you really want to keep one of the others, I would stick with the

F3HP as it can be use manually without battery. The N90 won't offer anything the F100

doesn't have and it's a lot slower AF (N90s is much better than N90), the F4s is an anchor and

slow AF. If you like a big pro boby sell one F100 and get an F5. Both F5 and F100 have the

same ergonomics and complement each other very much.

Well first off --

Landscapes dont move too much Neither do portrait subjects so fast AF is not a huge requirement for these primary subjects.

IF it lives on a tripod like you say, the weight of the camera is not a huge issue. However resonable assumbtion can be mde that mirror lockup would be used at some point during a landscape shoot.

So that rules out the N90 - no mirror lockup.

For portraits the viewfinder on the F3hp is the best especially in low light, having used/owned the other cameras mentioned the F3HP wins for low light manual focusing.

The F3 and the F4 each have the distinction of being a "F" series camera all all that comes with that label.

So sell the second F100 and the N90.

Keep the others for the mirror lockup , fast AF and superior viewfinder and superior build quality.

I assume you are keeping the F100(s) and you are going to sell

two of the three cameras listed in your question. This is easy (for

me anyway). The F100(s) exceed the N90 and F4s in most ways as AF

cameras. The N90 and F4s are older and less capable AF cameras.

Therefore the N90 and F4s are the cameras I would sell.<br>

<br>

The F3HP is a rather different camera and offers unique

capabilities that the F100(s) do not, like a 6x or speed finder

and a far greater selection focus screens than other Nikon pro

bodies. The F3 is a great camera for macro, night , street ,

astral photography, etc. The F100 also offer unique capabilities

that the F3HP does not (excellent AF for example). In this way

they compliment each other rather than duplicate each other.<br>

<br>

OK, the F100(s) duplicate each other but then Ive have not

consider a second body as a backup since about 1980. Back then I

shot for hire from time to time and needed two bodies for that. I

also wanted one body for Kodachrome and one for Tri-X for myself

personally. I owned two Nikon F2As bodies and on F2 (DE-1). Later

I switched to an F2As and two then three FE2(s).<br>

<br>

<em>And, don't be afraid of hurting my feelings. --Brian

Flaherty<br>

</em><br>

Id really like to hurt your feelings but the right insult

just isnt coming to me. I hope you can make do with just a

sincere reply. ;-)<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

I would keep the F4 any day. It's rugged and built to last. It is a beaty and anyone who says the autofocus is slow haven't used it. Since you intend to use it on a tripod most of the time, autofocus capabilitis aren't an issue.

You can remove the extra battery compartment and replace it with a plain vanilla F4 grip. After that, it is quite a light camera.

I forgot to mention another reason why I prefer the F3 - nighttime photography.

I discovered one night while drinking wine and idly pondering a full moon that the F3 can produce amazingly accurate exposures when set to auto mode. Whether 10 second or one hour, nearly every frame was usable and most were very good. Occasionally I'd adjust the exposure compensation dial but usually not.

There are several examples in my folders and in my only photo.net presentation.

Any camera that can indulge my dual passions for drinking under the full moon and absolute, utter sloth has my affection and loyalty.

These are all very good answers and all make sense. One other thing you might consider is keeping all of them since the one you'd most likely sell...the N90...is going to get you about $100 plus or minus. Why not just keep them in your collection and use them as you need them. If you could get $500-$600 for a couple of them it'd be worth it, but for what film bodies are selling for...might not be worth it. Just a thought.

If I had to sell two, I'd sell the F4S and the N90.

The F100 is a great camera and does almost everything the N90/F90 can do, and better. The only exception is that if you have the MF-26 back, the N/F90 is a better camera to use for multiple exposure photography. Few photographers care about this, and the MF-26 is pricey anyway.

The F4 is a great camera but I think the F3 complements the F100s better. It has the same 100% viewfinder as the F4, plus it uses very little battery power (and can be used for those long time exposures indefinitely, whereas you'll only get one or two very long exposures out of the F100's batteries), and it's smaller. It's also a joy to use because of the quality of its manufacture.

I shoot differently with my manual equipment (FM2n, FE, FT3) than I do my AF gear (F100, F90x, F90). I'd get rid of one of the F90 bodies before I would sell the FM2n or FE, for sure.

I agree, the one to keep is the F3HP. I'd certainly sell the F4S - it's no better than the F3HP as a manual focus camera, and nowhere near as good as the F100 for autofocus, and it's a behemoth. It's also true that, with two F100s, there is no reason you'll use an N90 anymore either. However, it's also true that you could only get around $100-120 for the N90 on the used market. So, the best thing you could do with the N90 is find a budding young photo student who would genuinely appreciate a gift of a camera that they could grow with, and still have full control over.