Which Screw to Lock a Ball Head ?

johnny_kleso

<p>Cheapo Fancier FT6665H ballhead<br>

54mm (2 1/8") ball<br>

<a href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lumieretech-com/Tripod-Heads-/_i.html?_fsub=9532772&_sid=361262901&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322">http://stores.ebay.com/Lumieretech-com/Tripod-Heads-/_i.html?_fsub=9532772&_sid=361262901&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322</a><br>

It was $59 and for the money I am very happy..<br>

I read a few reviews of it and one guy had all kinds of issues but this one is fine so far..<br>

Since I have a small machine shop in my garage if needed I'll make new screws or parts and improve it if needed.</p>

<p>I just took the ball head a part to check the quality as I have worked metal as a machinist for 30+ years and wanted to see if I could improve with a screw change for remake a part stronger..<br>

I think for the money knowing the ARC Swiss is $400 I would say it should cost $100 - $150 max as with this ball head what should be steel is steel and aluminum is AL. and is made well enough and should last a life time ...</p>

<p>Hi Johnny -</p>

<p>After reading your recommendation, i am considering this ballhead. I have a Mamiya RB67 Pro-S (about 6lbs) and would use this head in conjunction w/some new CF legs (from a reputable manufacturer and conservatively rated at 22lb capacity). I would be using it for landscape photography (possible exposure to very high mountain winds) so i *need* a really stong set-up.</p>

<p>I'm not a machinist nor currently have precision tools, but am very mechanical and could drill/tap/re-thread screws as necessary (i've done that type of job many, many times on automobiles/snowmobiles/etc).</p>

<p>Do you think this ballhead would work for my intended application? It would need to have great lock-down strength....</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>frank</p>

<p>I can't see how the ARCA Swiss can be much stronger than the quality of the aluminum used to make the ball or housing.. <br>

The Fanicer has two lock screws at 180º a part , maybe a better locking design..<br>

The ARCA has a single position double knob that I am not sure how it works..</p>

<p>I have a Nikon D90 and a 70-200 f2.8 and only have to lighty lock the screws..<br>

The base plate has a lock pin you have to push to slide camera off mount that is simple and works well...<br>

I wish I have used the ARCA but maybe you can give me your opinion if you buy one...<br>

Its not a bad price even if just for a flash when you look at the $400 cost of the ARCA</p>

<p>The ball dosen't shift at all but the 360º swing thing what ever correct name is :)<br>

That does move 1/2º when locked..<br />I read that in a review about this head and this one does the same..<br>

For me this is not an issue and it always moves in the same direction and if needed you just set the pointer a 1/2º ahead before locking..</p>