which RF camera to chose? Minolta or konica

rino_juan

<p>I have chosen for myself, both the Konica Auto S2 and Minolta HiMatic 9.<br>

Comparing those two -<br>

Konica ----<br>

legendary lens, it's slightly sharper than the Minolta (IMHO) 45mm 1.8<br>

nice focusing knob on lens<br>

aperture readout in viewfinder and on top deck (handy). I find this simpler than the then common EV meter readout, but it's a personal choice. (See EV for Minolta)<br>

CdS cell is on lens so filter is OK<br>

ASA 25-400<br>

cold shoe only<br>

EV 1.7 - 17 (The Konica is a lot better for low light than the Minolta. For outdoors in the sun, it's a toss up).<br>

Rangefinder spot is a nice sized rectangle.</p>

<p>Minolta ----<br>

very nice lens, 45mm 1.7<br>

smaller focusing 'bump'<br>

EV readout in viewfinder, nicely placed, but not on top deck. EV is read and then you need to set aperture and shutter speed to correlate to EV.<br>

ASA 25 - 800<br>

hot shoe and Minolta's Flashmatic capability<br>

CdS cell is on lens so filter is OK<br>

EV 5.5 - 17<br>

Rangefinder spot is a diamond shape. Minolta's viewfinder is very slightly brighter than the Konica.</p>

<p>My 2 cents.</p>

<p>Jim M</p>

<p>I also prefer shooting with the Auto S2, but I've had a couple now with bad meters. I've had fewer problems with the Minolta 7S. For B&W, I don't know if there's a real difference between the lenses. The Konica might be slightly lower-contrast.</p>

Condition might mean more than you think. I had a 7 and a 7s (Minolta). The 7s was in worse shape and didn't take good

pictures. The 7 had a great lens and worked great, but was bulkier. You might need service on whatever you buy to get

the most out of it. Don't overlook the Minolta clones of the Leica screwmounts either.

<p>Minolta and Konica were/are quality manufacturers of 35mm RF cameras and for hand-held shooting, you might be hard pressed to distinguish between them.<br>

As was pointed out by an earlier contributor, these cameras are forty years old now and some were treated more kindly than others. Condition is everything - buy the camera that is in the best shape. You want a camera that will be reliable in the field - a spectacular lens is worth little if the something else on the camera is broken and you can't make exposures. I gave up on Russian cameras for this reason.<br>

In this vein, if you find a really mint camera with a gummy shutter, you may want to consider buying it (at a price that reflects that it isn't ready for use when the seller gives it to you) and have the shutter cleaned.</p>

<p>I had near 20 years a konica T3n with some hexanons lenses. Wanderful set 24, 28s, 50s, 85, 135s and 200s. Excelent.<br>

More near in the time (and now) I have a rokkor set in my nex 3: 28, 45, 50s, 100, 135 and 300 IF. Excelent too. <br>

Before the konica I hjad Leica M 3 with 28, 35s, 50s, 90s and 135. Without words.<br>

I want to return to 35 film (XP2 super).<br>

Yashicas 35 are high cost here.<br>

My personal taste is the Konica (SIII or S2). And the famous of the Minolta 7 or 9 did doubt me.<br>

Thanks for all, guys. For your time and your words.<br>

Conditions will be my north to look for. </p>

• 2 weeks later...