Which R tele lens?

Laurent...dont worry about idots when you come here for help...this guy is usually doing this. The best is the R 6/6.2 or the SL if you want the viewfinder that is the best, but any R body will do you great service. I have the R6, R7 and the SL...al are very good. As far as a lens....the 180/ F4 is very compact and good...the other are also quite good too. Leica lens are all good and the camera body is just something that will be a light box...

How long a lens were you interested in, and how much weight is tolerable? The two light weight lenses for their focal lengths are the 180mm f/4 Elmar and the 400mm f/6.8 Telyt. The Telyt is considerably bulkier than the Elmar. The 180mm f/3.4 APO-Telyt is an exceptionally good lens, its biggest drawback is the long-ish minimum focus distance.

<P>

For a camera body, an R4 is good as long as it has had recent service. This body is inexpensive because the early production was very unreliable, but if an R4 is working now it's likely to continue working. Depending on who you want to believe, the early R4 production was either before s/n 1,580,000 or s/n 1,600,000. My R4's s/n is between 1,580,000 and 1,600,000 and this body has been perfectly reliable aside from the light seals around the back (which I replaced myself).

<P>

My personal favorite Leica reflex is the SL. Despite its age it's market value in good condition is higher than the R4. I find that the SL's mass and smooth mirror action make it possible to get sharp hand-held photos at one stop slower shutter speeds than with the R4.

R3 is usually the least expensive but they are showing their age. Contrary to what Ron said, I suggest a late R4s or R5 if you're looking for reasonably inexpensive R bodies. I have one of each (R4Sp2 & R5) and they are functioning perfectly, neither of which has had a CLA.

Don

Oh, and lens wise, the 180/3.4 Apo Telyt is still an excellent lens if you don't need the speed of a 2.8. It is definitely superior to the 180/2.8 non-apo (except in terms of speed, but even at that I think it a much better buy). The 180/4 is a good lens but its major quality is lightweight and compact size. It suffers in optical quality to either the 180/2.8 non-apo or the 180/3.8 Apo Telyt.

The R5 (or R7) will give you a body with electronic shutter control, plus aperture priority and program modes. The R4 has all this too, but I prefer the finder display of the R5 and R7. The R6 has the same exposure display as an M6TTL, making it easier to go back & forth between them. As to lenses, I have the 180 APO-Telyt, and can vouch for its fine performance. I also like my 135mm Elmarit.

R4+new focusing screen (R5 or later)= larger image magnification than R5 or later. The image in the R4 is LARGER than that of R5 or later!

This means it's easier to focus, and much brighter than the normally dark R4 screen!

Any R APO lens will probably blow your socks off, take your pick.

JJ

I'll put in a plug for the R3, of which I have two and enjoy. However, the difference in price between it and the newer bodies is often not great, and they are more capable. I have two R5's which have never failed me. In addition, they will easily accommodate a winder, interchangeable screens, shutter/aperture/program capability. I had an R4s and changed to the R5 for the better finder information (not cutting in the photo).

I love the little 180/4. I've never needed greater speed and I don't want the weight of the faster 180's.