Which prime lens for week long trip to Andaman islands?

indraneel

<p>Primary purpose is photography. I'm hesitant to carry my full frame D700 to an island in the monsoon. The infrared D70 will go. Can't decide between the D200 (APS 1.5x) and Olympus E-P1 (2x crop). I have (nearly) all the primes from 20mm to 180mm; also the slow olympus kit zoom 14-42mm (that fits only the olympus, the primes fit both Nikon and Oly). Do not want to take too many lenses, and hesitant about the Oly as editing NEF is much easier (for me) on Capture NX.</p>

<p>Leaning towards the 24mm and 85mm. Want to be shooting ruins, landscape, people and general travel snaps.</p>

<p>Any suggestions and help will be much appreciated.</p>

<p>You might want to take a look at A. Radcliffe-Brown's 1922, <em>The Andaman Islanders </em>to see the role played in the formation of 'structural-functionalism' by work there.<em> </em><br /> Of course<em>, Sign of Four</em>, by A. Conan Doyle is also a must read :)</p>

<p>I'd personally throw in a 50mm, but who but you can speak to your own shooting style?</p>

<p>Thanks JDM, I'll pack in the lightweight 50 since you insist. As for the books, I've decided to skip them lest they scare me off from making the trip :)</p>

<p>I'm open to more suggestions... Still wondering if I should be a man and tell them all I have no video (E-P1 has video, but not the D200).</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Just to let anyone know who may be interested. I packed the D700 with the 20, 24, 35, 50, 85mm lenses. About half were with the 35 and half with 85mm with a couple of shots at 20mm. Could have used the 24mm or a 28mm for some of the shots but did not bother to change lenses and went with the 35mm. Did not find any reason to use the 50mm. Did not miss the E-P1 with video. I'm really thankful I took the D700 and not the D200. But...</p>

<p>!!! MISSED a cheap pocket point and shoot, or especially a waterproof one like the olympus tough. !!! So now I have no images of scuba diving, snorkeling or walking barefoot through a (mangrove) forest with muddy elephant dung in the monsoon.</p>