Which prime for Himalaya on D700?

sunray1

<p>Hi there,<br>

Going trekking in the Everest Region in Nepal, coming in from the east (Salpa Arun valley). <br />Have done the usual circuits (Annapurna, Langtang, Everest) in teahouse style before, but never with a digital camera. <br />This time I'm thinking of bringing my D700 (using solarpanel and extra batteries). I will be carrying my own backpack with clothes and sleeping bag for three weeks so I want to keep it light as possible, the D700 and solarpanel already weighing in. Also, I want to keep it simple and train myself to be more creative with just one lens.<br /><br />But which one lens to take? I know many think the 24mm is good for landscapes/nature but that's one I don't have.<br /><br />My collection of primes is: 20mm 2.8AFD, 35mm 2.0AFD, 50mm1.4AFD, 85 1.4AFD, 180mm 2.8AFD, 28mm series E, 100mm series E... <br>

Which one to bring? Thank you for your recommendations!</p>

<p>Hi John and John :-)<br />Purely size/weightwise the 28+100 were indeed what I was thinking of. <br />I just wonder what peoples opinions are on the different perspectives/angle of view in a mountainous surrounding.<br /><br />When I was there before I used one of those yellow weatherproof Minolta's with a 35/50mm switchable lens and the other times a Yashica T5 with 35mm lens. I was not really into photography then and just made do with what I had ;-)</p>

<p>Ray, instead of 28 + 100 I'd take 35/2 and 100. I dunno how heavy is 28 but 35/2 AF-D is only 205g and I do not think you save a lot going for the 28. I have to reasons for recommending this switch:<br>

1. It is good to have an AF lens... you may not have all the time the right situation to do MF. With an AF lens mounted on D700 you can take a picture just with one hand...<br>

2. 35/2 AF-D is one of the best lenses for documentary work on FX cameras up to 12MP. Close focus, fast and precise AF, sharp across the frame at f8... everything you need in such as situations.</p>

<p>Ray -</p>

<p>I spent time in the Annapurna and Langtang regions of Nepal. Based on that experience and from mtn settings here in the US, I recommend going with a wide option and a telephoto option. I would pick the 20mm and the 180mm from your lenses. </p>

<p>With a gun to my head and only one lens to bring, I would go with the 35 like John.</p>

<p><br /> Thanx Mihai and Chip,<br /> Good points...I actually use the 35 quite a lot -often together with the 85- when travelling/walking around town or shooting social events.<br /> The 20-180 combo has crossed my mind as well, but they are both lenses I find myself switching a lot with... I mean they don't sit on my camera a whole day, 20 being too wide at times, 180 being too narrow the other moment... <br />(20-50-180 is my holiday 3 lens combo when I don't have to walk too much or can leave one in the hotel though)<br /><br />That 35 keeps coming back as a single lens option indeed...<br /><br /><br /> <br /><br /></p>

<p>I applaud the minimalist goal and I think there would definitely be something liberating about a "one lens" trip. The 35 would be a nice all purpose focal length, but one of my favorite things about the Himalayas is the immense scale of those mountains. That's why I would tend to pick a wider focal length, but you could probably achieve the same effect by doing panos with the 35.</p>

<p>BUT - I really like having telephoto for mountain shots, so why not use this opportunity to add a lens to your collection?? I have a 75-150 that I use on my D200 and it is fantastic. Very compact, and it would be more flexible than a telephoto prime. An alternative might be the el cheapo 80-200 AF that I have read good things about.</p>

<p>Have a great trip!</p>

<p>Interesting question! I went on a trek from Tumlingtar to Makalu base camp via Shipton Pass in '92. In the Barun Valley going up to Makalu base camp the vistas were very wide and the valley broad. In 2001 I went to Mera from Lukla and the valley at Tagnag was very different and narrow, with the peaks rising up sharply. A wide angle would have been nice in either place ,especially in Tagnag. The 20,50 and 180 sounds about right. Does the solar panel weigh less than a bunch of batteries? The link is to a panorama from above Tagnag and below Mera Pass:<br /> http://eastmanwoodworking.com/panos/mera.html<br /> Have fun! I'm jealous!</p>

<p>Although I am not generally a fan of superwides I remember being in Zion National Park and thinking that the 17-35mm was not wide enough on a D3. And these were just tiny bumps compared to what you will see - admittedly these tiny bumps were pretty close together though. Certainly the 20mm and after that I would personally take the 35mm as well.</p>

<p>Hey Ray,</p>

<p>If I could take only one nikon lens with me and it was a prime I would take the 24mm f2.8. BUT, I would check and see that the AF 24mm if the same optical formula as the classic 24mm 2.8</p>

<p>FWIW. I think Galen Rowell shot a lot with the 24mm 2.8 in that area and his photos turned out very nicely. </p>

<p>I'm jealous. If I were going I'd definitely bring more than one lens. My favorite is the AF 80-200/2.8; it weighs 1.3 kg, but I have dragged it pretty much everywhere (hiking, skiing, climbing). The AF 20-35/2.8 seems like a good option for panoramas and interior shots: 660 grams. Just bring one set of clothes.</p>

<p>Creativity comes from the mind, not camera gear. A single focal lens is limiting/restrictive and I think hampers shooting. I would take a D5100 with 18-200mm VR for the lightness.<br>

I'll also mention that if you use a polarize at high altitudes, the sky turns nearly black. I'm a polarizer "addict," but rarely use them above 10,000 ft.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>I've always felt that one-lens trips were good ideas if you are going some place that you can easily visit again. I'd hate to miss a great shot on a once-in-a-lifetime trip because I couldn't the framing right. I understand the weight problem, but i just wouldn't feel good without taking at least 2 lenses. If it were me, I'd take the 20, 50, and either the 100 or 180. However, if you think you might need the reach of the 180 without the wide aperture, you might look at picking up a 200/4. They can be had for less than $100 in AI/AIS mount, are much lighter than the 180/2.8, and are excellent performers.</p>

<p>Hi Ray,<br>

Have a great trip! I do like traveling with primes, the 35 and 85 would be my choice. However, for this perhaps once-in-a-lifetime trip, I would leave the heavy D700 home and take a mirrorless camera - the new OMD EM5 with the 12-50mm lens are both weathersealed. By using one lens, you would prevent dust from getting into the camera. I would also put either the tiny 14/2.5 or 20/1.7 in my backpack as a spare in case the zoom lens gets broken. The camera will be out shortly and has everything you need to bring home decent quality images. You can not always "zoom with your feet" on mountain trails and the 12-50 provide the equivalent of a 24-100mm range, which should meet 95% of your needs. Frame tightly and compose in camera. Are you taking a tripod?<br>

Nick</p>

<p>Ray, enjoy your trip. I have been in the Himalayas a couple of times with digital cameras (Mustang, Ganesh Himal). I have my doubts about the solar panels, AFAIK they can barely charge a mobile phone and don't supply enough energy for camera batteries. Nowadays batteries last many shots so I would bring a few and a charger. I expect most teahouses to have electricity at least a couple of hours a day.<br>

With regard to camera/lenses I have been an avid fan of primes in the good old film days but switched to zooms with digital. I assume you'll be going in spring, a bit early to invest in a EVIL system. I'd bring a zoom or if you insist on primes, a 28 or 35 wideangle an a 85 or 100 mm tele. Alternatively you may hire a porter to carry your clothes/sleeping bag/etc. That will give you more freedom WRT the camera stuff and at the same time you make a small but extra investment in the local economy.<br>

I'm preparing for a full trek in Ladakh in summer. I'll be taking the EOS 5D + 24-105 lens, that's for sure, the rest (2nd body, other lenses, flash, tripod) is still optional.<br>

Remember, YMMV.</p>

<p>I too, have been to the Himalayas a couple of times (on the Tibetan side, though), and have, on every occasion, found the widest possible lenses seeming impossibly narrow. The wider the better, in my opinion (in those surroundings, that is). However, flexibility is even more crucial. Sometimes there are just things that would be lovely to photograph with a tele-lens. I usually take two cameras with me, one fitted with a wide zoom, and one with a tele zoom (I find, that I am simply missing more shots if I have to change lenses). IF, however, I were to choose a single prime lens from your line-up, I might also venture with the 35mm, only because it is somewhat more flexible than the 20mm. I would sincerely consider renting/buying/purloining a 24-120mm lens, however.</p>

<p>Have a very lovely trip :-)</p>